Search

Visiting St Louis

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting St Louis

My wife and I will be in the St Louis area during the first week in October. Any help in planning the trip will be appreciated, i.e. places to stay, eat, visit etc.

Thank you.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Two restaurants I have enjoyed in the past are Zinnia http://www.zinnia-stl.com/ and Harvest http://www.harveststlouis.com/
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Not knowing your age and tastes, I'll just tell you my favorite things in St. Louis.
1. City Museum
2. Basilica--it is so amazing and definitely something to see, even if you don't think you'd like it
3. Forest Park--walk all around it, go to the art museum--other stuff, too
4. Ted Drewes frozen custard--this should be #1
5. St. Louis baseball museum
6. Central West End for shopping, lunch, and general browsing. www.centralwestend.org
I do not like "historic" St. Charles--way too many tacky shops, and was disappointed in the Arch--it has tons of graffiti scratched into it!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I lived in the St. Louis area about 10 years; it is a great city to visit.

Gateway Arch. (I never saw any graffitti). Under the arch, in the basement are free museums on westward expansion and the national parks; also a movie on the Arch construction. You can also go to the top of the Arch for a fee. Park for a small fee at the garages at the north or south end of the Arch grounds or park on the riverfront and climb the stairs.

Union Station. The restored train station is now a mall of shops and restuaurants. At the west edge of downtown. There is an exit off of US-40/I-64.

October first week. Check the schedules for St Louis Cardinals baseball and St Louis Blues hockey. If games are available order tickets now.

Forest Park. Immediately to the north of US-40/I-64 west of downtown a few miles. Here is the St Louis Zoo which is outstanding and free except for the train and special exhibits. Good for a sunny day. Park in the Zoo lot for a fee or park for free along the streets inside Forest Park. In Forest Park is the St Louis Science Center, nearly new and one of best in world. Also, free except for special exhibits. Also, in Forest Park is the Art Museum and other museums I have not gone to but I believe they are free.

Missouri Botanical Gardens. Outstanding. There is a nominal charge for admission. Located short distance south of I-44.

I stayed a couple nights at Adam's Mark Hotel in downtown St Louis. High end hotel. Also stayed at Drury Inn near airport.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help. Any other information will certainly be helpful.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:42 PM

I second the Basilica: http://www.cathedralstl.org/

Almost as good as going to Europe!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM
LHS

I like the view from the Arch, the ride in the cars can be rather crowded during busy times.

We enjoyed the Cahokia Mounds on the Illinois side of the river.

http://www.cahokiamounds.com/cahokia.html

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn by the Dome, Hampton Inn downtown. Both as you'd expect.

We also stayed at The Mayfair a Wyndham historical hotel in downtown St. Louis some years back. Very back-in-time feeling, though they were doing some remodeling at that time, and though it is now a Wyndham, I don't think it was then. Our suite was comfortable.

The Metro is very easy to use. We've flown in and not rented a car when we were going to a Rams game and had a hotel near the metro line.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all that responded. We will be arriving in St Louis on September 30 and hope to have a great time.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
yk

Here's my 3-day St Louis trip report (we went March 2006)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34770947
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Welcome to St. Louis, ken etc.
My husband likes to take people to Lafayette square, late 1800's well restored homes, nice restaurants like 1111 M1ssissippi and Sqwires, also fun less fancy places. Nice B&B's in that part of town, too. though you're probably set already on housing.

The Old Courthouse downtown is worth a peek if you're nearby. Dioramas of local history. I've always loved the Old Cathedral near there and the Arch for its quiet French Blue interior.

Hang out on steps of the Arch and watch the river flow by. Sit outside at Kaldi's coffeehouse in Clayton on a beautiful fall day.

Sauce magazine online is a good source of restaurant suggestions.