Search

Visiting NY...HELP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Caroline

Visiting NY...HELP

We are visiting NY for a romantic getaway Jan 3 through the 6th. We will be staying in Manhattan and would love help finding good places to eat and things to definately see. Obviously we will play tourist and see the monuments and museums, but what else MUST we see and do??

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Ted

Have lunch on Mulberry Street in Little Italy -- I suggest Il Fornaio. Then walk along Canal Street and take in the sights & smells of Chinatown.

Also don't miss the roof sculpture garden at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 09:10 AM
xxx

(Met roof garden closed in winter, sorry)
Too broad a question to answer, really, give us some more info!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 09:11 AM
ryan

For a reasonably priced French meal, try La Mangeoire on 2nd Ave at 53rd St. Great provencal food in a rustic setting. Of course, if price isn't an issue, than La Grenouille is one of the best for a romantic dinner.

You might also want to get a list of restaurants that offer great fixed price lunches. Some, like Montrachet, have them for around $20.01 and are among the top restaurants in NY.

Although it may be a bit cold, on a nice day, you might want to think about a walk across Central Park from say Central Park West to the Met Meseum.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Steve

Not sure of your ages, interests, etc. but I'm sure you can find your own style of fun by using citysearch.

http://newyork.citysearch.com

Alot of people are visiting Ground Zero while some people can't bear the thought. It's up to you.

In general, don't waste your time in shops and restaurants you can visit in any other city. You'll just end up overpaying. Obviously, some 'tourist' things are ok like the Empire State, Statue of Liberty, museums and stuff.

Hope you have a good time.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Penny

The Frick Collection, www.frick.org, on East 70th Street between Madison and Fifth Avenues. The art collection is wonderful, and the atmosphere is quiet and intimate compared to the Metropolitan (which I also love). You can then stroll up and down Fifth Avenue.

If you like art, you might also want to consider the Cloisters, the Metropolitan's medieval collection.

Rockefeller Center and the NBC Studio Tour.

A walk through Greenwich Village and/or Chinatown, if it's not too cold.

I hope you're planning on going to the theater. There are a number of good places to eat in or near Times Square. Last year, on a twentieth-anniversary trip, we enjoyed Joe Allen's and Nocello's. A visit to www.zagat.com can give you more information about those and others.

You know about the half-price ticket booth in Times Square, don't you? http://www.nytix.com/Broadway/HalfPr...s/frameset.htm

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 12:40 PM
c

I really wouldn't recommend Ground Zero for a romantic weekend..but a carriage ride in Central Park in the late afternoon when the lights are coming on all over the city, dinner in Soho at Provence,a warm wonderful little French restaurant.. shop for something for each other at Saks on 5th Avenue and have lunch in their restaurant, overlooking Rockafeller Center and the Tree and St Patricks, easier to enjoy the crowds looking down from your table than struggling through them! The Pierpont Morgan Library, and have tea in the Conservatory.In the evening, walk off dinner by wandering down Fifth Avenue and look at the store windows..stop and have a sweet at Serendipity...Have fun, kiss by the fountain at the Plaza