Reload this Page >

Visiting New York, looking for suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:59 PM
gabby

I'm going to New York City on a four day trip. I bought the idea of getting a great room and a Broadway show at a discount. My question: I've booked a 'junior suite' at the Dumont Plaza. Has anyone stayed there?
What did you think of the room (they've just updated them) the service, the location? What part of town is it in? What would you say is a "must" to do or see and 'what' is a scam (tourist trap)? I'm mid 40's and am not 'spunky' anymore, if that's a help.
Thanks for your response!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Owen O'Neill

I haven't seen the rooms and am not familar with the hotel bu the location is fine. It's a bit quiet in the evening in that area but quite safe. You're just over a block away from 34th and Park Avenue - easy access to the 4,5,6 subway lines it get down to Union Square or the Village or go one stop uptown to get the shuttle to Times Square. I consider tourist traps to be the plethora of chain restaurants in Times Square area and places such as Madame Tussaud's (these facts are true in many places other than NYC as well). Avoid restaurants in Times Square and the trendier parts of SoHo/Tribeca if you're looking to eat econmically (admittedly there are excellent reaturants in SoHo and Tribeca). It will help if you'll further fdefine your interests. For a first visit it's usually good to take the Staten Island ferry to see the skyline and the Statue of Liberty (the short Circle Line cruise is not free but is fun and gives a better view). Central Park is worth visiting, Empire State Building (close to your hotel) is fun but a long wait. There's so much else - live music, art museums, fun and inexpensive neighborhood restaurants, eclectic film selections, shopping, the Radio and TV Museum... tel us what you enjoy and good suggestions are sure to be forthcoming.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:47 AM
gabby

Owen,
Thanks for the pleasant reply! My agenda: sight see. I'm particularly fond of old buildings and architecture, especially historical (non-stuffy monuments) IE: Empire State Bldg. @ the Statue Of Liberty*. I take a lot of photos, so I'm looking for info. on how to get the best shots. Your suggestion of taking the Staten Island Ferry will accomplish that! Tell me about the wait at the Empire State bldg? Is it better to go during the week or weekend, at certain times of the day; to aviod 'some' of the wait?
I am interested in visiting the Village; I am an old hippie.Where should I go there? Are there any art film theatres around? Anything you would recomend? I would also be interested in some resteraunt tips. In So-Ho,Tribeca, and the Village. I'm not frivalous, but I am not frugal. Something nice, Good Food (cuisine) with a trendy decorum. I like French, Italian, Steaks, Greek, Thai and I love seafood, Salmon is one of my favorites.
I also like to Antique shop, pick up 'smalls' they're easier to get home.
I don't clothes shop, I have enough. but, Antique shops - look out. I am seeing 2 plays: 1) Sexaholic- A Love Story with John Leguizamo (he's a riot)
2) Proof, a turn of the century drama of polite society I'm sure. I read on another site NOT Fodor's, that a young woman and her fiance' went to 'Times Square' and someone jabbed her in the seat of her pants with what felt like a needle. At first, her fiance and family and friends were supportive of her fear and pain. After awhile they thought she had become a hypochondriac. She complained of not feeling well etc. started seeing Dr. after Dr. to no avail. Finally about a yr.(?) later she got tested and had Hepititis-C which she is now being treated for. Scarey Story! Are there times I should not go there alone? I've lived in Boston for 13 yrs. do the same street smarts apply for NYC, any additional tips? Can you also tell me what part of the city my hotel is in? Upper, lower, east, west, Manhattan? Anything you have to offer will be greatly appreciated, Thanks for your time! gabby

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Ryan

A great building to photograph is the Flat Iron Building on 23rd St. Stand on the island where 5th and Broadway intersect.

You may want to spend some time in Central Park. Contrary to popular belief, it is safe. (OF course, not at midnight!) The walk from Fifth Ave. to Central Park West, near the Met mesuem, will give you plenty to see. Stop at the Dakota, an old 19th century building and John Lennon's home on CPW.

For a funky restaurant, try Chez Es Saada on 1st Ave/1st St. Very cool decor, French/Moroccan food.

Have a great time.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:23 PM
xxx

gabby, the story about getting stuck with a needle is a classic "urban legend" that has many variations (along the lines of stories of alligators in the sewers, for example) It's always a story that emphasizes how "it really happened!" usually "to a friend of a friend" Don't be suckered.
As for safety, yes city street smarts don't hurt. Most areas tourist frequent will be fine. Just keep your radar on--don't walk down an alleyway or deserted street at night, for example...

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Long Island Boy

Gabby,

Your lack of spunkiness concerns me. NYC takes all you've got and then demands even more. Make sure and get plenty of rest before you take on this city, baby!

LIB

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Patrick

Where did you get that description of Proof? Boy are you off base on that. It is a wonderful show, but nothing like what you must be expecting. Just curious how or why you chose it if that's what you thought it was?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:23 PM
patty

Regarding art film theatres: my favorite is Film Forum on W. Houston between Sixth & Varick (Seventh Ave) which is in the western fringes of Soho. They show both first run films (currently Otomo - German - and Trembling Before G-d - documentary) as well as revivals (currently Bound For Glory and The Landlord).

Cinema Classics on E. 11th St shows revivals. The Screening Room in Tribeca has both new and old and you can eat dinner as well.
And you can see the "bigger" art movies (Mulholland Drive, Amelie) at either the Angelika on W. Houston & Mercer or Lincoln Plaza Cinemas near Lincoln Center.

This website (http://www.ny.com/movies/alternative.html) will give you a list of offbeat movie theaters in New York. And check with Time Out New York magazine for showtimes and listings.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:28 PM
gabby

Patrick,
OK. I just reviewed the description of "Proof" on Braodway.com. Maybe I was watching a "Jane Austin" film that night?

Maybe when I talked to the ticket person, I got the Jane Austin image with all the intertwined Drama..shoot me put me out of my misery!

I believe in fate, I'll probably really like it as it appears to be a "surprise", have alittle humor.

"Long Island Boy" Your name says it all; wait another 25 years and make them lively and hard and check your 'spunk' level then. You may be surprised?

Thanks for your suggestions Ryan! I forgot about the Dakota. The Flat head sounds good too. In Boston they have a building referred to as: The Pregnant Building (totally bottom heavy, light on top).

I'm still looking for more must see and do's - Any other suggestions?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:05 PM
gabby

Thanks Patty!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Owen O'Neill

It is amazing how these urban legends grab hold and just keep circulating... Times Square is likely to be the safest area in an already safe city (by city I mean all the parts of Manhattan where any tourist would conceivably go). You'll be amazed at the number of uniformed police officers walking the streets and standing at corners observing passers-by. This has been consistent for a number of years and has been a significant part of the positive change in NYC. It is NOT related to Sept. 11 - it's just public policy and it works. If I understand NYC neighborhoods correctly, your hotel is just east of Murray Hill. A good friend of mine lives at 34th and Lexington just a few blocks from the hotel - its' a very nice neighborhood. As an "old hippie" you may find little that looks familiar or brings back memories in the Village but a good jaunt is to start near 7th Avenue South and Bleecker and then walk east on Bleecker. Lots of funky little shops, restaurants and cafes and live music venues. There are also such places on the sidestreets including MacDougal, Sullivan, Thompson etc. West 4th Street runs parallel and has a few interesting places as well. At the far eastern end of this strip you'll hit Bowery. Walk uptown (more or less north) from there and you should reach the St. Mark's Place area. Also a bit touristy but lots of NYU influence - some goth and punk regalia being worn and a lively little area. My facorite Afghan restaurant is on SDt. Mark's Place - Khyber Pass. It's moderately priced and has good atmosphere - worth trying. I can't be much help on higher end restaurant recomendations other than to urge that you make reservations for L'Ecole, the facility operated by the French Culinary Institute. It's at the corner of Broadway and Grand (not West Broadway) in SoHo. They offer a four course price fixe dinner for $29.95 that rivals (may even surpass) dinners costing twice as much elsewhere in the city. Be sure to get the Creme Brulee for dessert and hold onto your chair because you are sure to swoon - it's that good! The suggestions for art film theatres was good. A bit worn around the edges but with good selection, often showing documentaries or foreign films that no one else offers, is Cinema Village. I beleiev it's on East 12th west of Broadway. As for architecture... there are some walking tours available that might be of interest - check info at http://www.nycwalk.com/2001.html#public

Have fun - despite your self-assessed lack of "spunkiness", i suspect that the pure adrenaline of being in NYC with so many people and so much activity will charge you up and give you more energy than you think you have. One last suggestion - if (and only if) you like the musiv of janis Joplin, go to see "Love Janis", which is playing on Bleecker Street in the Village. Tix have frequently been available at TKTS for half price but if you buy tix at the door do NOT get the most expensive ones at the cafe tables in front - they're too close to the stage. Any seats in the house are good as long as they're not just behind either of the two support columns. I sat in the second to the last row and it was fine.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:15 AM
carole

There is wonderful architecture all over the city but I find Soho to be esp. interesting. Many of the buildings there have cast iron facades!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 07:00 AM
sarah

Contact is an excellent show and tickets are on sale for $40 through the year I believe. I highly recommend. NYC is still the best city on earth -- please come visit us.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Gabby

Thanks All, Especially Owen! You give a tired woman new hope!! I am getting more excited as I'll be ou there in the next few days.

Thanks for telling me what part of town I'm and what areas to check into,and for boosting my confidence. I'll let you 'guys' know how it went. All is appreciated!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 11:52 PM
Chris

For a good historical place, go to the Tenement Museum. Each apartment is re-created according to the records of the people that lived there and the appropriate era.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 04:12 AM
sandra

I was just in NYC Friday, if you have time you must go to China Town and Liittle Italy. We had lunch at our favourite Restaurant in Little Italy. It's always great. Dui Amici ( formerly Teresa's) It's in the first block of MUlberry on the left hand side.
The best food, great service and smiling owner who can't so enough to please you and he is always giving you something for free, wine, espresso, pelligrino etc.
Being that we live in Connecticut and my husband works down town, we always are in little italy. Also great Thai restaurant on corner of baxter, near federal plaza, wery good and very cheap. Enjoy and spend, spend, spend

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Lizzie

Sandra is right; the Thai place on the corner of Baxter (which variously goes by the names of Pong Sri and Thailand, I think) is fantastic. And really cheap!

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 11:47 AM
me

Gabby-
If you're feeling at all apprehensive about walking around Times Square (and you really shouldn't), go to http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...are/main3.html (copy and paste the address into your browser).
It is a live 24-hour webcam on the corner of 45th & Broadway in the heart of Times Square. You can watch the pedestrians walking past at all hours of the day & night. Watch it for a little while and it may make you feel more comfortable. (I keep it as my default web page at work because I like to people-watch)

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:25 PM
gabby

Thanks All! I'm on my way!