Visiting New Orleans in 2006

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two questions: We are visiting New Orleans at the end of this month. I would like to take my husband and son to restaurants that are very good, authentic (not chains) and reasonably priced. I'm not particularly interested in the "celebrity chef" type of restaurants but I would like them to experience good quality and local flavors. Any suggestions?

Also, I thought perhaps we could bring an extra suitcase full of good clothing to donate somewhere, but is that still needed? I'd like to contribute something that would be appreciated...and we'll be spending money there, so that part we already know to do. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:00 AM

One I can recommend is Winnie's on Magazine. It serves breakfast and lunch, and is open week days only. I will get specific directions, times, etc., if you are interested. This is a very special place among locals . . . not too many tourists even know about it. I am looking into what other great restaurants are open and will get back to you.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

BayouGal, you are a wonderful resource for me here...thanks for your help with the thread and for the hot tip. Keep 'em coming and if you live there and are around next weekend, I'll buy you a cuppa joe.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

And please do get me the information on Winnies...it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for...local and authentic. Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM

Many wonderful restaurants are now open. Check out www.nola.com, especially under Visitor section and the section showing businesses that are open.

For a neighborhood experience on Magazine Street, we like Joey K's near 6th Street. Never heard of Winnie's. Try Dick and Jenny's or Brightsen's for a great New Orleans experience. I think they have both reopened.

Thank you for your offer of good clothing. I'm sure that would be very much appreciated still; however, I live in Baton Rouge and don't know exactly where you could donate there. Your hotel concierge may know. We're helping a family with two small children who until two weeks ago was still living in a car. This is a college-educated white family who lost house and job and when the weather was cold recently, moved nightly from shelter to shelter to stay warm. So hard to believe that this can exist in a country like ours.

You will enjoy your visit. The Quarter and Uptown are in good shape. Thank you for choosing to come to New Orleans. The economy needs you!!!!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM

Winnie's Artsy Cafe
ph. (504) 899-3374
3454 Magazine St
New Orleans, LA 70115

Near intersection of Magazine St and Delachaise St. Open Wednesday through Sunday, 9:30 to 3 PM.

BAD NEWS: I just phoned to be sure of the hours and they said they'd be closed next week (Wed thru Sun, Jan 25 - 29)for some Katrina related repairs. Sorry!

I'll post some more options for you, though, as soon as I check hours to be certain.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM

Hopefully this will get you off to a good start! ;-)

First thing to do when you get to New Orleans is to start asking for a "Gambit Weekly," a local magazine that will have everything that's going on in the city.

Recommended (and open) Restaurants:

Brigtsen’s
http://www.brigtsens.com/
723 Dante St, ph. 504-861-7610
Online menu, check into early bird specials on weekdays
Reservations accepted

Dick & Jenny’s
4501 Tchoupitoulas St., ph. 504-894-9880
No reservations, Tues – Sat, 5:30 till 10 PM

Vincent’s
7839 St. Charles Ave, 504-866-9313
Great Italian

Jacques-Imo's
8324 Oak Street; 504-861-0886
http://www.jacquesimoscafe.com/main.htm
Online menu; Specialty: Shrimp and Alligator Sausage Cheesecake
No reservations; Next to Maple Leaf Bar (popular local bar with bands on weekends—may be an option if there is a wait, depending on age of son)

Nola
534 St. Louis Street, French Quarter, 504-522-6652
Excellent, pricey, large servings (Emeril Lagasse’s)

Bluebird
3625 Prytania
Very reasonable yet good breakfast foods; cash only; Wed thru Sunday

R & O Restaurant
216 Metairie Hammond Hwy (Bucktown); 504-831-1248; (near the devastated Lakefront)
Great poboys, gumbo, eggplant, and local dishes

Upperline Restaurant
http://www.upperline.com/
1413 Upperline St (Uptown); 504-897-3477; online menu

Casamentos
http://www.casamentosrestaurant.com/
4330 Magazine, 504-895-9761
Known for their oysters

**Please note that while some of these are very nice restaurants, some are dives—known for their great food, not their atmosphere and high-end furnishings.

If I get time, I'll post more. Hope this helps! Enjoy your visit!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM

DeepSouth, you need to try Winnie's on your next trip to NO. Local flavor--both in the food and the guys who own and run the place. Enjoy!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM

BayouGal,

Cannot wait to try Winnie's on our next visit. Thanks for the scoop. We'll be down soon.

Come for a visit...Mandina's is opening in Feburary here in Big BR.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:51 AM

So glad to hear BR is getting some benefits from this mess. Your hospitality has definitely gone above and beyond! We'll be there on Feb 1 . . .when does it open?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

BayouGal, we arrive tomorrow night and the offer to buy you a cuppajoe still stands. You have been a great help, but what does ttt mean?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:56 AM

ttt - "to the top" so that this thread doesn't get lost

BayouGal...I read in the online Baton Rouge Business Report yesterday that Mandina's opens next week on Feb. 1. It's near our new Towne Center at the corner of Old Hammond Highway at Jefferson in the old Chalet Brandt building. Come give it a try.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the offer, pghpasta, but I'll have to pass . . . DD's last performance on high school dance team this weekend (she's the captain & a senior). I hope you enjoy your visit and find lots of good "eats"!

Have fun in the Big Easy!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:56 AM

One of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans is Irene's Cuisine. I've never been disappointed with a meal I've had there. I would try to get there early as they don't accept reservations. (I assume that they are open now?)

I also like the Palace Cafe on Canal - but I'm not sure if you would consider it a "celebrity chef" type place.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Three suggestions:

1) Elizabeth's - Take a taxi 5 minutes/$5 from the French Quarter. It's so inexpensive that the $5 taxi pays for itself. Great down home cooking!
http://www.elizabeths-restaurant.com/

2) RioMar - In the warehouse district. A 10 minute walk or quick taxi from the Quarter. This is some of the best seafood anywhere and an incredible bargain considering the quality. Get the garlic gulf shrimp and Panamanian ceviche. Just go!!!
http://www.riomarseafood.com/

#) Marisol - right across the street from the Frnch Quater. Fine cuisine in a semi-casual setting. Not cheap bit still about 1/2 the price you would pay for cooking of this quality elsewhere. Excellent!
http://www.marisolrestaurant.com/

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Doesn't look like Marisol is open yet--awaiting insurance resolutions (as are hundreds of us). Really a shame, especially for businesses--they are losing thousands of dollars. The other two restaurants have limited menus.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Thanks, DownSouth! Can't wait to try it! ;-)
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM

In case you find this thread, and are not sure what has reopened in New Orleans, try http://www.nola.com/openforbusiness/

We're on our way back . . . Shell Oil bringing back 1000 employees Monday, January 30. A major concern now: hospitals . . . not enough beds to accommodate population.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Unfortunately I was a bit disapointed with Irene's when we were there in July. We'll be going back this summer and I think we're going to give Cassamento's a shot - it's one of my dad's favorites. We loved JaquesImos (the alligator sausage cheesecake was amazing) - anyone know if it is open yet?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:36 AM

Yes, as posted above, Jacques-Imo's is open!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -