Reload this Page >

Visiting Maui, Hawaii, and Oahu for 1 week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 02:39 PM
Sue Yeh

I will be visiting Maui, the Big Island, and Oahu. I want to know if anyone has any tips, comments, or information. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 05:12 PM
Marcio Moraes

Hello,

I am going to visit hawaii too. If receive some intersting tips please let me know.

Thanks,

Marcio

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 06:02 PM
Cassie

While on Maui, try the horseback trip into Haleakala. There is a half-day trip down into the crater itself that was the highlight of my last trip. The company is called Pony Express and the half-day trip cost $125 per person, includes lunch. The concierge or tour desk can help you book it, or email them for info at [email protected]. I thought it was worth every nickel - a much better trip than the bike ride down the road at Haleakala. On Oahu, you must go to Pearl Harbor Arizona Memorial. Be there at 7:30 AM and get in line - the doors open at 8 but by being in line early, you can get on one of the first 1 or 2 boats over to the memorial. Some people who come later in the day wait 2-3 hours to get a boat over. I think it's better to wait half hour early in the morning before it's too hot than waste half the day in the afternoon heat. Diamond Head probably isn't worth the trip. In Honolulu, eat at the Fishmongers Wife in the Ala Moana Shopping Center - reasonably priced great fish meals.

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 06:25 PM
Joan

Hi, Sue. We were there in July 92. This may seem like a simple suggestion, but spend the couple of extra dollars and rent a convertible car while you are there. We used Dollar Car rental and felt the extra few dollars made a big difference in our enjoyment of the wonderful weather and scenery. We stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort on Kaanapali Beach on Maui, The Kauai Beach Boy Hotel on Kauai, The Royal Waikoloan on the Big Island and the Outrigger East Hotel in Honolulu. We were pleased with all of them. This would be a tough trip to plan without the help of a travel agency. For example, you will need interisland transfers (air tickets)which can be part of a package arranged as you plan your trip. It is nice to see what all the islands are like, but if we had it to do over again, we would just go to Maui. Aloha!

Old Jul 15th, 1997, 01:29 PM
Pam

We honeymooned in Hawaii in Feb. 1996 and we are returning this Aug. We only visited the Big Is. which is "Hawaii". We LOVE luxury, fine dining, and golf. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton which is now The Orchid. This year we are staying in a condo in Mauna Lani. Mauna Lani is a main resort area on the Big Is. It is approx 25 minutes from the Kona airport. There are several luxury hotels with breathtaking views. There are lots of places to dine and some small boutiques for shopping and the best golf!! Kona is another place to stay and that is about 15 minutes from the airport. It is more like a "town" area. There are many resorts lining the streets and also touristy t-shirt shops etcc...Since we are from Orlando, we didn't want to look at any more t-shirt shops!!! When you stay in Mauna Lani there is van service within the resort area to take you to other hotels, golfing, shops etc...Some of the restaurants that we highly recommend are: Imari's --in the Hilton Waikiloa, this is a Japanese Tempanyaki restaurant (they cook at your table, throw the knives etc...) also, Donatoni's for Italian (also at the Hilton Waikoloa. At the Hilton, you can get to the restaurants via a tram (sort of like the Monorail at WDW) or a boat. It is great to do after dinner!! The Ritz Carlton, now the Orchid had a great breakfast buffet--the strawberries were almost the size of tennis balls--any they had fresh papaya, etc....We also enjoyed the spa at the Ritz--- they can do a "couples" massage on the rocks by the beach--all you see is the ocean and you just lay with your honey and get massaged!!! Snorkeling is great on the Big Is also. Make sure you go on an excursion that takes you to "Captain Cook's"---at this spot, the fish are used to the snorkelers--so they are always around!! Their is also a seafood buffet --I think only on Fri and Sat at the Mauna Lani Hotel--excellent--all you can eat--seafood, chicken, salads, cream brulee, and other desserts!!! We recommend flying from LAX on United--they fly directly into the Big Is. so you don't have to take a local "puddle jumper." If you have any other questions about our trip, or if you have some tips to share with us about our upcoming trip, please e-mail me!!! Aloha!!

Old Jul 15th, 1997, 01:30 PM
Pam

We honeymooned in Hawaii in Feb. 1996 and we are returning this Aug. We only visited the Big Is. which is "Hawaii". We LOVE luxury, fine dining, and golf. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton which is now The Orchid. This year we are staying in a condo in Mauna Lani. Mauna Lani is a main resort area on the Big Is. It is approx 25 minutes from the Kona airport. There are several luxury hotels with breathtaking views. There are lots of places to dine and some small boutiques for shopping and the best golf!! Kona is another place to stay and that is about 15 minutes from the airport. It is more like a "town" area. There are many resorts lining the streets and also touristy t-shirt shops etcc...Since we are from Orlando, we didn't want to look at any more t-shirt shops!!! When you stay in Mauna Lani there is van service within the resort area to take you to other hotels, golfing, shops etc...Some of the restaurants that we highly recommend are: Imari's --in the Hilton Waikiloa, this is a Japanese Tempanyaki restaurant (they cook at your table, throw the knives etc...) also, Donatoni's for Italian (also at the Hilton Waikoloa. At the Hilton, you can get to the restaurants via a tram (sort of like the Monorail at WDW) or a boat. It is great to do after dinner!! The Ritz Carlton, now the Orchid had a great breakfast buffet--the strawberries were almost the size of tennis balls--any they had fresh papaya, etc....We also enjoyed the spa at the Ritz--- they can do a "couples" massage on the rocks by the beach--all you see is the ocean and you just lay with your honey and get massaged!!! Snorkeling is great on the Big Is also. Make sure you go on an excursion that takes you to "Captain Cook's"---at this spot, the fish are used to the snorkelers--so they are always around!! Their is also a seafood buffet --I think only on Fri and Sat at the Mauna Lani Hotel--excellent--all you can eat--seafood, chicken, salads, cream brulee, and other desserts!!! We recommend flying from LAX on United--they fly directly into the Big Is. so you don't have to take a local "puddle jumper." If you have any other questions about our trip, or if you have some tips to share with us about our upcoming trip, please e-mail me!!! Aloha!!

Old Jul 15th, 1997, 01:31 PM
Pam