Reload this Page >

visit to seattle/washington state

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 08:15 PM
karl

Message: Hi, We have plans to visit Washington state for a week during the first week of October ( hope it is not too late
weather wise...). I was wondering if others have had any experience with travel around the state i.e. places/restruants not to
miss or any other comments. We do plan to stay in Seattle only for 2-3 days. Thanks for any input..

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 12:26 AM
D.B.

If you click on Washington and FIND, you will be over-whelmed with information regarding your question.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 04:28 AM
Debbie

Karl - If you enjoy seeing the National Parks, Mt Ranier is a must. It's an easy day trip from Seattle and well worth it.

Enjoy

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Rebecca

I highly recommend taking at least one ferry ride while in Seattle. As I remember they all leave from the same pier. For hotels in Seattle, the Sorrento and the Four Seasons (both for high budget trips) are incredible and they both have excellent restaurants. Pike Place Market is great, and the scenery on 101 is superb.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 04:16 PM
karl

Thanks to you who replied to my query . I should have qualified in my message that we are interested in quiet scenic/nature experiences outside seattle. I did read earlier messages re: things to do in seattle.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 12:05 AM
April

I don't know that much about Washington but for seashore, historic towns, rain forest and alpine meadow how about the Olympic Peninsula? You can get in a good hike and enjoy the scenery at Dungeness Spit and wildlife refuge (oddly, they seem to allow hunting there at times) on the northern coast. Stop in at Port Townsend or the old part of Scandinavian-influenced Poulsbo for a bite to eat or a few hours of shopping. Take a trip (weather permitting) through the Olympic National Park. I've never been to Lake Crescent but it is supposed to be good for winter hiking and has a 2 mile trail.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 03:30 AM
laa

In August we drove from Seattle to Mt. Rainer, Mt St Helens, west to the coast, Quinault(?) Rain Forest, Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic National Park, Port Angeles, back to Seattle. This is a large loop, taking several days. I don't know if the weather in October will affect any of these choices. Do a search for Olympic National Park and/or Rain Forest (then Washington); you will get lots of details.
Good luck.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 09:04 AM
John

Hi, Karl,
A couple of 2- or 3-day loop trips out of Seattle may hold interest for you:
1. Across the Sound (ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island) then around the Olympic Peninsula seeing the Pacific coastal strip of Olympic NP, the rain forest (the Hoh valley is a good introduction), the Olympic Mountains (Hurricane Ridge near Port Angeles is a good overlook), Port Townsend, then back to Seattle. A lot of driving but unique sights. Weather likely to be mixed (wet on the coast, possibly dry on the lee side of the mountains.)
2. Over the Cascades (use US Rte. 2) to Wenatchee, then south through the red rock country of the Columbia basin, down US 97 to Goldendale and the Maryhill Museum on the Columbia Gorge, poke around the Mt. Adams area or across the Columbia towards Hood River and the orchards (great fall landscape, chance for good color), then back along the Gorge to Interstate 5 and back to Seattle (possible detour to Mt. St. Helens visitor center.) The weather will probably be dry east of the mountains, mixed elsewhere.
Have fun!