Visit in Fall 2002

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Yvonne

Visit in Fall 2002

My husband and I are planning a two week visit to New England in Fall 2002. We plan to tour NH, Vermont, Mass., etc. We have a lot of guides but can any of you 'experts' out there advise on 'Must See' places please?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:41 AM
Paul Rabe

What exactly are you hoping to experience? History? Scenery? Nightlife? Quiet isolation? Seashore? Mountains? Museums?

We can't tell you where to find what you are looking for unless you tell us WHAT you are looking for.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Donna F

Beautiful areas abound in New England. You might want to plan your trip so you can attend an event. Country fairs end around Columbus Day weekend. Different towns have foliage festivals. (My vote goes to Warner NH) If you want good eating: Providence RI, Portsmouth NH, Burlington VT among others. If you want living history museums try Sturbridge MA or Strawbery Banke (Portsmouth NH) or Plimoth Plantation in MA. Do not do too much driving. Get out and walk, whether it's hiking in NH's White Mountains (there's some very easy trails) or enjoying a nice downtown area. Pick a destination that coincides with an interest or hobby. Enjoy baking? Stop at King Arthur Flour Shop in VT. If you like organic food, the very best farm and craft fair is Common Ground Fair in Maine, at the end of September. Check out Yankee Magazine's website: www.newengland.com for ideas. If you like the outdoors, you might see what the Audubon Society in major cities have on their schedule.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:38 AM
rose

Yvonne, some of the must-do areas for NE would have to include a trip to the top of Mt. Washington. If you take your car, they park ranger will give you a great cassette tape to listen to as you ascend which gives a lot of history to the Mt. You listen to side 2 as you descend.
Another great spot is the quaint, old town of Bennington, VT. Many of the buildings are from the late 1700s and early 1800s. There is also a monument to the Revolutionary War which is quite similar to the Washington Monument.
If you enjoy hiking, the Presidential Range in NH has some great hiking trails. Also here is the famous "Man of the Mt" rock formation which reminds me of Abe Lincoln!
Lost River Gorge in Lincoln, NH, is also a nice spot to visit.
If finances are not important, try staying at the spectacular Mt Washington Inn.
Hope this helped!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:21 AM
lj

As you have plenty of time to plan your trip here are a few of the resources I used when planning a similar trip (Though not in fall) a few years ago
www.valleyguides.com/
www.4seasonresort.com
gonewengland.about.com/
www.goveromont.com
www.scenesofvermont.com
www.seevermont.com
www.visitnh.gov

Burlington is nice for the vermont version of the big city experience (LOL)

I personally love cape cod - Chatham is a nice town or travel the scenic rt-6a through Dennis.

Jackson NH is nice you enter through a covered bridge there are a few shops, restaurants an art gallery (Try www.jacksonnh.com) You can combine the trip to Jackson with a drive across the Kancamagus Highway (Very Scenic) or Hike in the White Mountains. If you need your shopping fix North Conway is nearby with many outlet stores.

Use the above websites to find out if there are any local events going on this can be the best way of getting a feel for the place you are visisting.

Have fun!