Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Virtual Strip-Search" The new airport security device?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:22 AM
lisa

Read on cnn.com about the testing of a new type of X-ray technology that does a "virtual strip search" of passengers. The ACLU is already on record as being against this.

For the article: http://www.cnn.com/2002/TRAVEL/NEWS/...ray/index.html

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Philip

I saw on the news a machine that they were considering which blows air on a person. The idea is that it blows off traces of explosive chemicals which would be on the body of anyone who had recently handled explosive materials.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Rich

I expect you are right about the ACLU, but think about it . . the only person who should worry about this is someone with something to hide . . is that so wrong? ?

Rich

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:03 PM
CALLI

The ACLU can blow it up their :#. What isn't the ACLU against?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Sheila

The new xray for strip search was shown on the Today Show this morning. It is being tested in Orlando. A guy volunteered to show how it worked and it showed everything. Not for shy people.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Barb

When I read about this machine, my understanding was that, if used, they would replace the metal detectors through which every passenger walks. This is why the ACLU objects and I agree with them.There are alternatives, which offer the same level of security, but which do not involve every passenger virtually getting naked every time you board a plane.
If it was used only as a substitute for actual strip searches, that might be acceptable.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:29 AM
lisa

From what I've heard from others is that this Xray would be voluntary. Kinda like the Express Lane at the grocery store. You want to avoid the long lines, then walk thru the Virtual Strip Search and (hopefully) be on your way.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:09 AM
:>

As long as they're gentle and we work up to it, and have a cigarette and some talk afterward, I suppose it will be okay. None of this leave the money on the table, stuff. Do you leave your shoes on, I wonder. I'm easy, and in favor of whatever it takes to have a safe flight.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Chris

I think that this is great and should be mandatory not "voluntary". It is useless to be voluntary since a criminal will take all the time he/she needs to accomplish their goal. What's the big deal if it shows you naked ... so what? We all have the same male or female sex organs. I don't think this is that much different from when a doctor examines a patient except that this examination may save more than one life at a time (like a whole plane's worth or more). The bottom line is we're either serious about security or where not. Time to wake up to the 21's century and out of our puritanical social mores.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:23 AM
hwz

Chris,
You said,

" What's the big deal if it shows you naked ... so what? We all have the same male or female sex organs."

So go ahead and do a strip tease in front of all your fellow passengers and prove to us you are not a terrorist!

And by the way, we don't all have the same male or female sex organs, we each have our own.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Johnlw

I am reminded of two moviews.

"Total Recall" where Arnold goes through the Xray tunnel and you just see his skeleton and his pistol.

"Sexy Beast" where Ben Kingsley falsely accuses the flight attendant of molesting him.

We are driving to this year's vacation, and I am glad!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Allie

I can't believe i'm saying this, but I agree with the ACLU on this one. This thing is way too intrusive. I saw pictures of what the x-ray shows - and it's totally invasive. It shows pretty much everything, leaving absolutely nothing to the imagination.

I read that during the initial news conference to unveil the thing, they refused to show a woman being searched - that in and of itself indicates that there's a problem. If it's okay for the some strange airport screener to look at it, why can't the media? Because there would then be pictures of a near naked woman splashed across Good Morning America and CNN.

This has nothing to do with "puritanical social mores". This has everything to do with an individual's decision regarding their body and to whom and where they want to expose it. I for one, do not want it exposed in the middle of the airport to some screener, regardless of their gender-appropriateness. Period.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Curious

Just curious. Do those of you who have a problem with the virtual search, also have a problem with topless beaches?

I, for one, don't see the big deal. Safety, for all, should come first.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Lisa

I think it was mentioned that they want to try to come up with a way where humans don't have to monitor the system. If something is detected, an alarm will go off and then a "real" search would take place.

John - by the way, how was "Sexy Beast"??

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Mr. America

If the ACLU is against it, I'm automatically in favor of it!!

Mr. America

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:54 AM
D

Here's another vote for the virtual strip search (or a real one for that matter) Whatever it takes to get me to Paris and back in one piece.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:14 PM
x

First of all-Don't believe everything the mainstream media especially Good Morning America tells you. They are in it for ratings and slant, the serious real news gets pushed to the back seat. Secondly, anyone who has seen x-rays know that they are hardly erotic. Get a grip people if it stops a terrorist I am all for it.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
isawit

Actually it was on the Today Show this morning and it showed a man who went thru this x-ray machine. Once he went thru it, it showed the "picture" afterwards. It showed everything...so gentlemen, size will matter when the whole world sees what ya got!!!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:49 PM
x

Maybe they could play the strpper music for everyone as they walk through it. At least then we'd have a sense of humor about it!

Not gonna travel with anyone I know! That would be TMI!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:18 PM
R'nR

What, no more hand search of packages? I'm sure every high schooler in the US will apply for device operator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -