Virginia Beach in May?

Apr 17th, 2002, 11:34 AM
karen

Virginia Beach in May?

We have friends from Western Canada coming to visit us in the eastern U.S. in mid-May. We are also quite new to the area. They want to go to Atlantic City. However, from there we are thinking of taking them to Virginia Beach for a couple nights. We have heard that the drive is nice. We are all in our late thirties and would like to have a bit of fun at bars and restaurants along with some relaxation. Is this a good choice?

Apr 17th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Jenny

Where are you driving from (for the drive to be nice)? Virginia Beach is similar to Ocean City (see another thread) or Panama City Beach, Florida. Think giant strip mall on the ocean. They have a boardwalk and a few good restaurants (though, in my opinion, the best ones are off the strip). Atlantic City probably has more restaurants and of course, gambling, but to me, it always seems dirty. It's not nearly the same fun atmosphere as Las Vegas, and the gambling is not as good (higher minimums and not as much selection). We finally quit going there, because I always came back feeling so dirty. One option might be south of Atlantic City in Cape May, which has more charm, but still close to AC if they want to see it. I always hesitate in answering questions about Virginia Beach, because it is not my kind of destination (I prefer more nature, fewer chains, and more "charm"- like the Eastern Shore, the Outer Banks, Charleston or even Annapolis), but I would recommend it over Atlantic City. I live next door in Norfolk, so I've spent a fair amount of time there.

Apr 17th, 2002, 06:27 PM
pamr

I am a lifelong resident of Va. Beach & during the summer i spend just about every weekend in the OBX. I would not recommend Va. Beach - the water will be too cold & the strip area is more geared to 20's. There are only a handfull of restaurants I can think of (Mahi-Mahs, Timbuktu) on the strip. Yes, it is like a strip mall. If, however, you want to "relax" you will need to head further south in the OBX - Avon, Frisco, etc. Nags Head, Kitty Hawk are very built up. The only problem is there is not a lot of "action" here (why we like it!).Or you can go further north in the OBX - Duck & Corolla - there is a lovely inn called "The Inn at Corolla Light". Depending on where you live you might want to consider the Willmington North Carolina area (Kure Beach, Atlantic Beach), or Beaufort/Morehead City. Can't guarantee the water will be warm enough to go in or not. If you want more info, e-mail me.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:20 AM
karen

Thanks for the info. We are driving from philly and have been to AC before so know what to expect, however our friends are set on seeing it so we are committed. We plan on staying just one night, then thought the best plan would be to head south for a couple nights before driving back north with a night's stay in DC (another place we have already been). I am worried that the Outer Banks would be a little too quiet. We can experience quiet and pretty nature stuff at home for free and without all the driving.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:28 AM
Marti

Hi Karen,
I just got back from VA beach. My recommendation would be to stay in Sandbridge, it's only 20 miles south of VA beach. You can get much more hotel (beach house) for your money, and still party in VA beach. The boardwalk in VA beach is great, the sand is clean and the beach is wide. No palm trees or anything too exotic, but it's the ocean! The restaurants are good (had kids, so didn't go to bars) Try Rockafellars for seafood, and get a waterside table. If you want to stay in VA beach, a fun place to stay that's across from the beach, isTurtle Cay. It's only 2 years old so it's pretty nice. You can get a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen, balcony, sitting area. Very reasonable. Enjoy your trip.
Marti

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:46 AM
karen

marti, thanks for the info. It's nice to hear something positive for an area that seems to be popular. I'll check into your hotel suggestions.

Search this Thread