Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

View from Ritz Naples (Patrick, any advice?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 06:51 PM
John

I have two rooms booked at the Ritz Naples in a few weeks. They are booked in the club level coastal view category, which I think means you are at either end of the hotel, facing out. The courtyard ("gulf view") rooms are the next step up and then the gulf front suites.

Does anyone have any advice on the view from the coastal view rooms? Can you still see the sunset, etc.? I am leery of spending another $100 to upgrade when the Ritz is already charging more than it's namesake in Paris!

Any thoughts?

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Patrick

I'll attempt to answer since you've asked, but I guess I really don't understand. One of the reasons the Ritz was the most expensive hotel per room to build at the time, was that all rooms face directly out to the gulf. No rooms face the other way. Since I've never stayed there, but visited the public areas many times, I can only guess that the differences have to do with how high up you are and the size of the room. Since the hotel sits back a bit from the gulf due to environmental protection of the mangroves, the lower rooms would, of course, not have as great a view as the others, as trees will somewhat block the view, but I'd think not too much. The gulf front suites are the most expensive because they are suites not rooms. The difference between the other two classifications may be how high up they are. I'd ask about the level and the size of the room. That would really be the only difference -- not so much the view, except due to how high up it is. You can see the sunset from any room, but why would you be in your room at sunset, when you could be out on the beach at the delightful beach bar, or down in Naples on the pier, or on the beach itself???

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:04 AM
John

Thanks for your response. As you have probably noticed, the hotel is built in a U shape. With the exception of suites, all rooms are exactly the same size. However, the Ritz does have different views. Some rooms look out the north and south ends of the building (coastal view), some rooms look out at the courtyard (gulf view), and some rooms front the gulf. On floors 12-14, the gulf front rooms are suites.

I know that we will be on the 12-14th floors because I have booked concierge level rooms. BUt we have a coastal view. Thus, I assume that our view will be to the north or south, and not directly at the gulf. I was just wondering if that would impede our great view of the ocean.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:15 AM
nina

we had a "coastal view", with our room on the outside of the "U" shape. We could still see the ocean from the balcony, along with the beach facing North. I wouldn't spend another $100 for direct gulf view. The view we had was fine.

ALso, if you do want to watch the sunset you will still be able to see it from your balcony (ask for a room near to the back of the hotel, which is closer to the water), just to be sure. The front of the Hotel faces the street, and the back of the hotel faces the beach. With a room on the sides closest to the beach I'm sure you'll have no problem seeing the sunset.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:23 AM
nina

I just read Patricks response and wanted to add that John, you are correct. All rooms DO NOT have a direct gulf view, however, the rooms on the sides of the "U" do all have some gulf view. Our room was about midway down the hallway, and we still had a nice view of the gulf, along with the beach. I would imagine that the closer to the tip of the "U" you get (or back of the hotel), the better that view would be, so ask for a room closest to the beach. I hope you understand what I'm talking about, it would be a lot easier to explain if I could draw a picture!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:25 AM
nina

I wish I could edit my posts! Just wanted to add that you should ask for an outside room. If you have a room inside the "U" facing the courtyard, the opposite wing of the hotel could impede your view up or down the coast!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Jerry Wiesner

I think the biggest difference between the coastal view rooms and the ocean view rooms is that the closer to the window you get in the coastal view rooms, the better your view gets (i.e. can see more of the ocean). In the ocean view rooms you are looking right at the ocean no matter where in the room you are. The ocean front rooms are the ones on the end of the "U" that look right down on the beach (not across the courtyard to the beach). FYI - When you get to the hotel, ask if they have ocean view available and if they would be willing to upgrade you - this worked for us last time we stayed there.