Very long Kauai trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s our extremely long Kauai trip report!

Day One: Arrived in Oahu, went to Duke’s for drinks with our friend…it was crowded and not all that fun. We were overwhelmed with the craziness of Waikiki. We stayed with our friend while in Oahu, so no hotel report for these two nights!

Day Two: Drove to the North Shore with our friend at the helm. Stopped at Romy’s for some garlic shrimp…YUM! A nice hole-in-the-wall stand on the side of the road that was well worth the stop. Then on to Haleiwa for lunch at Kono’s—a great little café with good food and a fun atmosphere. We also stopped at Matsumoto’s for shave ice, which was FANTASTIC. The best shave ice we had all trip. That night we did a sunset cruise off of Waikiki Beach through Outrigger…it was fun and great to see the coast from the catamaran. We finished off the night at Sansei for some sushi, which was good. I didn’t really like the atmosphere there, but the sushi was great.

Day Three: We got a cab from our friend’s house in Kaneohe Bay to Pearl Harbor. VERY EXPENSIVE. But, we had no other way to get there. It was very easy to check our baggage before entering the museum…it cost $3/bag. We arrived at the Arizona Memorial around 8:45 and were able to get tickets for the 9:20 ferry, so it worked out perfectly. Much later and we would have waited a lot more (the crowds had picked up a lot by time we got back from the memorial). We both were very moved by the Arizona Memorial and the exhibits throughout the area. It was a fantastic experience and I would highly recommend it. We got done and grabbed a burger in the “mess hall” which was not good, but it was there. Then another cab to the airport with plenty of time for our flight.

Kauai Day Three: We arrived in Kauai and had an easy pick up at Dollar. The drive to the Hyatt was no problem. We used our Elite Stay Gift Certificates for the AWESOME room rate and were given a great garden view room very close to the pool. You could actually see the ocean through the trees, but we were on the first floor, so not technically ocean view. We loved our room…large and comfy. It was in such a convenient spot…we literally could walk out our lanai to the pool. We adored the grounds at the Hyatt. The pools were great and we even went down the slide a few times! We never had a problem finding great spots at the pool. It was never crowded. The staff was all very friendly…I can’t say enough about the Hyatt. It was perfect for our needs.

That first night we ate at Roy’s in the Poipu shopping village. The staff was so friendly and our food was great (we shared the Macadamia Nut Mahi Mahi). MUST get the soufflé…to die for!

Day Four: Our relaxation day. That included a fantastic massage at the Anara spa for me and an ultralight flight for my husband. (Can you tell we have different ideas of the word “relax”)? The spa was great for me…quite pricey, but worth it. DH loved his flight with Birds in Paradise. He’s a pilot, so used to being up there, but he was giddy with excitement afterwards. We had lunch at a great place in the Poipu shops…Puka Dog. YUMMY hot dogs with great relishes and sauces. A perfect cheap lunch. We spent the rest of the day at the Hyatt…relaxing in the pool and watching the whales jump. We also did the quick hike to the east of Shipwreck Beach. It was a great short hike with good shoreline views and a nice view of the Hyatt from the cliff. That night was dinner at Tidepools in the Hyatt…nice setting, good food, and a very nice waitress. Overall it was a good dinner, but not our favorite.

Day Five: We took a morning cruise to Na Pali with Liko Kauai tours. It was great! We saw TONS of whales jumping and slapping and the coast was just amazing. Definitely not to be missed!! The boat and staff were great…I kind of wished it were a traditional catamaran, but the ride was really smooth even in big swells. We stopped on the South side for snorkeling, which wasn’t great. Just a bunch of tiny fish on a little ledge. We couldn’t snorkel on the North shore due to the waves, so it was the only option. Lunch was decent, nothing special.

That evening we had dinner at the Beach House. It was our best meal of the trip for sure! The setting can’t be beat…watching the sun set right next to the beach. Our food was delicious and the service was wonderful. LOVED it! Went to Lappert’s for desert, which was also awesome.

Day Six: Our only less than perfect day.  We were up early to drive to the North Shore for the Kalalau hike. Just as we came into view of Hanalei Bay (after a LONG traffic-filled drive), we saw dark clouds looming. By time we got to the trail head it was pouring down rain. We tried to wait it out for an hour, but it was worse. SO, we headed back down south. Had lunch at Pizzetta in the Koloa shops, which was good. Not too special, but cheap and easy. Trying to salvage the day, we drove to Polehale St. Park. As soon as we came over the dunes we were hit with 40 mile an hour winds blowing sand into our eyes. Yikes. So, no luck there. We stopped at JoJo’s for shave ice in Waimea and were all but yelled at by the EXTREMELY unfriendly person working there. The shave ice wasn’t even good…very skimpy on the syrup. We gave up on the day at that point. We decided on a low-key dinner at Poipu Tropical Burgers. NOT good. We sat down and waited 10 minutes before anyone even took our drink orders. After another 10-15 minutes, a waitress came back and said, “I can take your order, but it’s going to be at least 30 minutes before the food is ready.” We left, feeling sorry for the couple next to us who had been there 30 minutes waiting for their food. We ended up walking over to Keoki’s and eating at the bar. It was great—the food was better than your average bar food and they had live entertainment that was really fun.

Day Seven: Back up to the North Shore for the hike (take two). This time we left the hotel at 6:00 and pretty much missed the traffic entirely. I would definitely recommend either leaving this early or waiting until after 8:30 or 9:00…rush hour kills. This time the weather was great. We did the first two miles of Kalalau and it was just gorgeous. So many beautiful vistas…Na Pali is best seen from this vantage point if you ask me. After making it to Hanapepe Beach, we headed up the stream towards the waterfall. We had read and heard that it was a tough hike and it was. Most of it wasn’t bad other than being really slippery, but the last 10-15 minutes was hard hiking. However, it was SO worth it. The falls were the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. We were the first ones there and had it to ourselves for a good 30 minutes. So beautiful and breathtaking. Maybe the falls were just more grand than normal because of the rain the day before, but I can’t talk it up enough. If you have any hiking experience at all, definitely do this hike. It took us about 8 hours total to get from start to finish (about 8 miles). We stopped a lot to take in the views. And DEFINITELY wear hiking boots. We saw people heading up the trail in sandals and flip flops---NOT a good idea. It was so slippery…not to mention the fact that whatever shoes you wear will be ruined with red mud. I threw my boots away at the beach…they developed holes during the hike.

We cleaned ourselves up and had drinks at the Princeville..great view and it was nice to see the hotel. We liked the Hyatt’s grounds much better, but you can’t beat that view of Hanalei Bay! We stopped at Coconuts for dinner on the way back to the Hyatt. We really liked it. The atmosphere is fairly contrived, considering it’s on the side of the road, but it works. The food was great (I had the tempura dipped Ono and DH had the special which was Opakapaka) and we got there at the end of happy hour, so we actually got lava flows for less than $5.

Day Seven: Our last day.  We spent the morning having breakfast and lounging by the pool at the Hyatt. Perfection. After checking out, we drove the Waimea Canyon. What a sight! The vistas were great and so amazing that something like that exists on the same island as the wettest spot on earth. We were able to make it to the first lookout (Kalalau), but the supposed “better” lookout was closed off (the road was blocked). There were people walking, but we weren’t dressed for it.

After a second lunch at Puka Dog, we headed for the airport. The trip was amazing and unforgettable. Thanks to everyone here for the tips (especially that fabulous rate for the Elite Stay certificates).
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM

travelisfun, thanks for the great TR. I just got back a few weeks ago and reading your report brought it all back. Glad you liked the Kalalau hike to the waterfall. The first time we did it we were not prepared! We had to do it again on our second trip to redeem ourselves. Next time you go you must do the Nualolo/Nualolo Cliffs Grand Loop hike. It is longer, but if you liked the views of Napali on the Kalalau hike the Nualolo Trail will take your breath away. It is really something. You start the hike in the canyon. Anyway, thanks for taking me back to Kauai, even if only in my head.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM

It's good to hear from someone who used the Stay certificates at the Grand Hyatt, and that your room was decent. We've stayed on their Sunshine on Sale package, which includes one free night and the buffet breakfast.

Did you get more than three days for $249 a night, and what did you do for breakfast at the hotel?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM

What a great report! Let's see, do I long for the gorgeous vistas or the lava flows??? We go the 3rd week of March, so I am counting down the days!One quick question regarding The Beach House Restaurant...did you make reservations BEFORE you left home? Thanks for the great report..I have printed it out, and it has a prominent place in my Blue Bible...
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
bonniebroad

Thank you, travelisfun, for this great report. Glad that you had such a fun visit to the islands, and thanks for sharing with us!

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Mahalo for your detailed report, travelisfun.
Can't wait to try Romy's on next trip to Oahu! Thanks for that and other recommendatins.

Ahh...Hawaii. SO many memories which
you've awoken. Sigh...back to reality.
Thanks again!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

MBnancy--We got all 5 nights using the Elite Stay GCs...we had to order two separate certificates, one for 3 nights and one for 2 nights. When I called for reservations we had to be a little flexible with our dates to get 5 nights in a row where they would accept the certificates, but it worked out perfectly. For breakfast, we actually just went to Walmart there and got some granola bars & cereal. We did eat breakfast at the Ilima Terrace at the Hyatt one morning and it was good. The buffett is $25 per person and looked good, but we opted for ala carte.

Visormom--we did make reservations at the Beach House before we left because we were planning on it during the first part of our trip. I think you'd be okay if you called when you got there as long as it was a few days in advance. I would DEFINITELY get a reservation, though...it was really busy. Try for the 5:45 seating to get the best sunset views.

Have a great time!!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Took your advice, and just called...they have a 5:45 by the window...OMG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am sooooo excited!!!! Thanks Travel...I'll think of you with my Lavaflow in one hand and shrimp in another...
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the great trip report. We are leaving on Saturday for our third trip and you've given me a couple of ideas I hadn't thought of yet!

Too bad about the snorkelling on the south shore, because it is excellent there at Lawai and Poipu Beaches. We go every day, several times a day if we don't have an excursion planned--and sometimes even if we do!

We love Keoki's at the bar too. The first time we went, we made reservations in the dining room, but once we discovered the bar, we were hooked.

thanks again.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
tmt

Thank you for the great trip report; I'll be using your info for our trip in the summer. We'll be staying at the Hyatt for part of the trip too and looking forward to that.

T.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Hi Travelisfun,

Great report, thanks for sharing! My DH & I will be heading there early March, I have a quick question for you, was the Liko tour specifically for whale watching?? I don't know if it will be whale season while we are there and do want to take a catamaran trip on Napali coast to check it out. Just didn't know which was best. Also, did you book before you left home or while you were there??

Thanks!

Jeannine
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Jeannie--The Liko tour was a "Na Pali" coast tour with snorkeling. Not specifically whale watching. We booked it on the advice of the "blue book" because it was winter and the "best" tours (out of the North shore) don't operate in the winter. You might check to see if any tours go out of the North shore in March...it's my understanding that those tours are the best.

I liked Liko, but I wouldn't say it's the best snorkeling tour I've been on. We did book it before we left, but probably didn't NEED to. There were extra spots on the boat.

Good luck! DEFINITELY take some tour of the Na Pali coast...it is amazing.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM
kip

What are "elite stay gift certificates?" We're always looking for a way to make the Grand Hyatt Kauai a tiny bit affordable!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

kip--
The Elite Stay Gift Certificates are gift certificates that you can buy for yourself (or others) on the Hyatt website. There are 3 different "levels" of certificate, with the top one being "Elite" which lets you use the certificate for most of the higher end Hyatts, including the Kauai Grand Hyatt. The certificates are $250/night, which is a STEAL for the Hyatt. It includes the room and all taxes, but not the $15/day resort fee. It equates to about a $185/night rate when you figure in the taxes.

What you need to do is call the Hyatt and make sure that you can use the certificates for the time that you want to stay there. It's sort of like frequent flyer miles in that there are black out dates and if they are at a certain level of occupancy they might not accept them. Once you have a date range that works, then make your reservation with Hyatt making SURE to mention it's with the GC's. Then go on the Hyatt website and buy them for as many nights as you need them. They only come in up to 3 nights at a time, so we had to buy one certificate for 3 nights and one for 2. They will send you the GC and you HAVE to take it with you and present it when you check in.

It's really SO easy and such a great rate for that fabulous hotel!! Good luck! The earlier you call to get dates, the better!

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM

What great info! I'm filing this for later! Thanks!