Notices

Vermont trip advice

Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont trip advice

Hello,

I'm flying in to Burlington, Vermont on Thursday (9/30). I'll be staying in Waitsfield and horseback riding for the weekend. My flight lands around noon on Thursday, and I don't have to be in Waitsfield until the evening, so was looking for advice on some nice stops or detours along the way for color, sights to see, etc. I may also have some free time here and there throughout the weekend, so any suggestions for things to do and see around Waitsfield would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 03:55 AM

Well, you must have been a saint in a past life, because you are going to the most scenic part of Vermont at the most scenic time of the year, AND you have a place to stay!

Waitsfield is on State 100. To your north is scenic Stowe, to your west is charming Middlebury. Slightly farther north than Stowe and to the east is Craftsbury Common; to your southwest is Woodstock with a famous green.

You could close your eyes and spin yourself around every morning and find something wonderful to see whatever direction you go in!

And Burlington and Montpelier are also terrific if you want to be someplace larger (though Montpelier isn't very large!) Great views across Lake Champlain in Burlington and good shops and restaurants -- downtown. Toward the airport it looks like everywhere else.

I would only throw in one caution: don't estimate how long it will take to drive various places. Many of the roads are narrow and twisty (though not exposed) and there will be a lot of people out looking at the same stuff you are.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Sorry, I should have said "don't underestimate" the time it will take to drive somewhere.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM

I'm in agreement with the above - you are in a very scenic area. You could stop in Montpelier for lunch - Sarducchi's, Julios, and Vermont Grill are all very good. You could also spend the afternoon bicycling the very scenic rail trail in Burlington than goes out into Lake Champlain. The LocalMotion bike shop near the waterfront rents bikes, has maps, etc.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I'm really looking forward to the weekend.