Search

Vermont Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont Suggestions

Hello,

I will be in South Central Vermont- Rutland/Woodstock area middle May. I have a loose itinerary and open to advice for reasonable lodging and good breakfast suggestions in the area.

I am also interested in picking up maple products. Are there any nice farms in the area that sell to the public?

What is the estimated drive time from Albany, NY to Burlington, VT?

Thanks
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Clem's on Wales St. in downtown Rutland is the place to go for breakfast. Sometimes there's a bit of a wait on weekends. Great omelets and waffles. Blanche and Bill's on the way to/from Woodstock is another excellent choice, especially for pancakes. It's closed on Mondays.

There are a lot of farms and homes that sell maple syrup. Heading out on Grove St. north from Rutland you will travel through some very pretty countryside {ask how to find the covered bridges near Stevens Road}. A house on your left sells maple syrup and the people are really friendly.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM

you may want to head over to white river junction and quechee, somewhere around there was the the sugar house restaurant. this area is east of rutland, quechee gorge is very pretty.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Sugar and Spice for breakfast, in Mendon between Rutland and Killington on Rt. 4. The best pancakes. Along this rt., many gift shops that sell maple syrup and VT products. This rd. will also take you through Woodstock and Quechee. Can't help with lodging. Have a condo there so don't stay in any hotels. There are several motels along the rd. They look reasonable.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:41 AM
bm

I've always wanted to stay at the Mountain Top Inn in Chittenden, which is nearby to Rutland/Mendon/Killington, however, it's more on the expensive side. Check it out though, maybe they'll have a deal going on.
REgarding maple products, try and find a mom & pop place. They will have a small "maple products sold here" sign at the end of their driveway. The gift shops catering to tourists are rip-offs. Pop in a local general store and ask for local maple farms. You can also always go to the local supermarket...they cary VT maple products as well.
Albany to Burlington is probably about 2 1/2 hours give or take.
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM

I agree with bm's advice. The commercial touristy stores are a rip-off. Look for signs "Maple Syrup Sold Here" on country roads.

The more touristy Sugar and Spice is good, but not as good nor as reasonable as the mom and pop "Blanche and Bills" IMO. They're on the same road.