Search

Vermont Info

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Cori

Vermont Info

My husband and I would like to visit Vermont in the summertime and not every being there I do not know what area to go to. We don't care anything about shopping or night events and would like small towns (like Newhart's B&B) in the mountains. Scenery, hiking and down to earth people are most important.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 03:08 PM
choirboy

I would look into anything near the ski areas,in particular Stowe and the Mt.Mansfield area.Prices are usually pretty reasonable in the summer and you can take the gondola up Mt.mansfield in the summer.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Betsy

If you would like to stay in the Inn that the Newhart show used in the opening credits, it is in East Middlebury. Unfortunatly, I cannot remember the name! It's a short drive up to Bread Loaf where there is plenty of trails for hiking. For a great dinner, Middlebury has some great options.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 08:14 PM
Jerry

Middlebury, Woodstock, Montpelier and Burlington are all very different but each has its own redeeming characteristics. The drives between them are beautiful. It's a great state just to stumble around from place to place in. Very laid back, friendly people. Have fun!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 05:46 PM
Donna

Vermont is a very small state - you can drive all over in several days or a week. You may want to call 1-800-Vermont for literature, particularly a schedule of events. The flower festival (can't think of what they really call it) is held in Stowe in June and is fabulous. There are also huge crafts fairs throughout the year. The Jazz Festival and balloon festival in Burlington are well worth a visit. There are other balloon festivals - one in Quechee, for example. There are several Norman Rockwell exhibits/attractions, and the museum in Stockbridge, MA is not too far from the southern VT border. You may want to plan an overnight or two in opposite ends of the state. For everything you could possibly want to know about planning a trip to Vermont, "Vermont, An Explorer's Guide" is well worth the price.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 02:39 AM
ellie

Check out the Inn at Round Barn Farm in Waitsfield - one of many small, quiet, charming inns in Vermont. We were stranded there during a bizarre flash flood duirng the summer of '98 and found the owners to be particularly caring of their guests during what must have been a very trying time for them. The location is very serene - many interesting scenic drives - covered bridges, etc etc.

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 08:19 PM
traveler

Several of my friends have had great experiences with Vermont bicycle Tours, felt like they really got to know folks & see the countryside from teh seat of their bike.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 06:02 PM
Tara

Don't bother finding the "Newhart Inn". I can't remember the real name, but we went for a look-see and a photo op. It looks a lot different now. The locals at a nearby restaurant told us "even Larry, Daryl and Daryl wouldn't stay there!" Really run down...