Reload this Page >

Vermont in the winter

Search

Vermont in the winter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Donna

Vermont in the winter

I am interested in taking my family to Vermont in December. I need suggestions for great places to stay. We would like to take sleigh rides and do cross-country skiing.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:54 PM
jeff

I'd suggest Stowe. You can cross-country ski at the Trapp Family Lodge, among other nearby areas. I've stayed at the Topnotch Resort, which is very expensive, but very very nice. Stowe has a lot of great restaurants and shops.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:15 PM
vter

Stowe is a great recommendation. Lots to see and do.Other areas to consider would be the Mad River Valley (Sugarbush Resort area), or Wilmington, VT (Mt Snow area). Check out www.skivermont.com for ski area descriptions. If you are definately coming in December, I would suggest looking into a x-country area that has snow-making capabilities. More often than not there is snow on the ground in December, but I can remember a few non-white Christmases in recent years! Good luck and have a great time!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Donna

Here's another recommendation for Stowe, our favorite town in all of Vermont. Call 1-800-24Stowe for a fabulous package of literature. As mentioned above, though, you can't count on a lot of cross skiing snow cover in December. Another good spot for cross country skiing is Jackson or North Conway, New Hampshire.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:13 AM
Virginia

Donna have been down hill skiing recently? You know they now have skis that are short and very easy to manipulate. Okemo is a wonderful family resort. I stayed last year at the bestwestern in Ludlow. The ski school's at Okemo is great. I would consider skiing down hill. So much fun, I just started last year at 40. For what it is worth.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Joe

Try the Manchester area, lots of motels, skiing close by and there is a place nearby that does sleigh rides.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:35 AM
bennie

Donna - Smugglers Notch is always highly rated by families. It has tubing as well as sleigh rides and cross-country and downhill skiing. Also activities at night. Haven't stayed but many friends have and loved it.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:52 AM
phil

Stowe is consistently ranked as the top East Coast resort in most ski and travel magazines.

Mt. Snow is the closest "big" mountain resort in VT. to NYC and Boston. As a result, it tends to attract a large number of singles and a bit of the party crowd. (Although plenty of families go there as well.)

I'd look into the Stowe area if you are looking for a resort area that is family friendly.

Have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Jen

I would check out the town of Manchester, and the Equinox Hotel (www.equinoxresort.com). It's a wonderful, rennovated Vermont inn/resort, with XCS on the property. There are sleigh rides that can be arranged (my fav is at the Landgrove Inn - about 20 minute drive from Manchester) too.

It's also close to Stratton Mt. (NYers ski there) and Bromley Mt (more family-oriented) for downhill. There are plenty of restaurants and shops in Manchester to keep you busy too.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 12:16 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:51 PM
tim

go stowe! don't get suckered into Killington (new jersey hits the slopes) and god forbid you end up at one of the NYC faves like Mt. Snow.

Stowe is truly beautiful and is typical of a charming New England Village.

If you're not into skiing, check out Woodstock, VT for the most charming town in Vermont. Woodstock has numerous places to stay and presumably has x-country skiing.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:05 PM
xxx

Timmy, "NJ hits the slopes"... what are you 9 years old? Can you read how you have undermined your own recommendation?

From Manhattan and Mt. Snow is not a "fav" or should I say "favster" to you. When you are nolonger living with the P's than think about offering some adult advice on Vermont ski destinations. IDIOT

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:15 PM
smuniak

Try the Woostock Inn in Woodstock.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:29 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 02:34 AM
Beth2

My first place vote goes to the Woodstock Inn. Woodstock is a prettier town than Stowe (imho), and the Inn is so lovely. Just an exceptional property with a gorgeous lobby, teatime with pianist, and fine dining I would go to even if I weren't staying there. They do have a special pre-Xmas package that includes sleigh ride and the like. Or they do arrange sleigh rides "a la carte." X-country skiing included. The Trapp Family Lodge is also nice, but I'd stay away from Smugglers. (Such a long haul for a smallish mountain LOADED with hyper-kids.)