Search

Vegas / Zion / Page / Grand Canyon with Kids in summer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegas / Zion / Page / Grand Canyon with Kids in summer

Hi
We are a family with three kids (10, 8 and 6) from Europe, traveling to NYC and then California this summer.
In between, we had the idea to do some of the national parks in the area of Nevada/Arizona. Our idea would be as follows:

Day 1: fly from NYC to Las Vegas. Stay in Vegas
Day 2: stay in Vegas.
Day 3: drive from Vegas towards Zion NP. Stay one night in Springdale
Day 4: drive from Springdale to Page. Visit Antelope Canyon. Stay in Page.
Day 5: continue via Grand Canyon to Flagstaff. Stay one night.
Day 6: drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Fly to LA.

Or other way round.

Do you think this is feasible? Any recommendation to do with kids?
Too hot in summer with kids?

Thanks,
Ruby
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 07:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably very hot. Broad brimmed hats and plenty of sunscreen and keep hydrated. I might substitute Sedona for Flagstaff. Why fly to LA?
You're missing a couple of parks in Utah that are much more interesting than LA IMO.
Rental cars are cheaper in Las Vegas than in in California or SLC. If you rent in Las Vegas return in Las Vegas. Coming back from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, stop to see Hoover Dam and maybe Valley of Fire.
Are you sure that you can't spend a couple more days in the US? It seems to be not enough time for the expense of bringing the 3 kids. Suites with the extra beds will also be expensive. Las Vegas is not that geared to entertain kids 10 and under. The best thing for them may be the light show over the Fremont Street Experience. In the daytime there is a zip line under the lights. Inside the Golden Nugget, there is the largest gold nugget on public display (62+ lb.)
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tom
Thanks for the fast reply.
Basically, we'll be spending 3 weeks in the US in total. 4-5 days NY city, then we'd like to see those national parks, and last along the coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
Los Angeles is a must, as kids want to see Universal Studios, Hollywood and Disneyland.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 11:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Is going to Phoenix just to go to the airport to fly out? I would spend 1 or 2 days less in NYC before flying to Las Vegas. Keep the Las Vegas rental car for the California part of your trip. I like driving southbound on the west coast routes mainly for making right turns toward the ocean views (US 101 and California Rt.1).
Sedona is nicer than Flagstaff IMO. Return the car in Las Vegas after seeing Los Angeles (Hollywood etc.).
You can fly back to NYC from Las Vegas just as easily as from Los Angeles or San Francisco.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 01:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Las Vegas will be terribly hot. You won’t want to be outside including using the pools. The National Parks will be fine, a great experience for all of you. Remember to stay hydrated in tne parks. Don’t give give up any of your time in New York, 5 nights is minimum time to explore the city. It sounds like an amazing teip for you and your family.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You may want to include Bryce. I would not stay in Flagstaff. Stay in the park, at the Rim. Look daily online for openings for your timeframe. Or stay right outside the South Rim in Tusayan. I would also head back to LV to fly to LA. You may also want to consider the North Rim.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 06:33 PM

If you click on my user name, you will see my trip reports for Zion, Bryce, Page/Kanab--all with kids. Personally, I would skip those parks in the summer. (Bryce would be good) Too hot and way too crowded. But if that is the only way you will ever get to see them, then go. They are so much better in the spring and fall.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 04:26 PM

Vegas is very hot in the summer. Not a problem if you spend most of your time in the well air conditioned resorts and tourist areas, but keep that in mind if you plan to do a lot of walking.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 06:47 PM

I never liked Las Vegas. I have been there several times, and hated it every time. Some people like the buffets, but now, there are many "Vegas style" buffets in every major city. And yes, the heat will be oppressive.

That being said, I believe the National Park System is one of the greatest assets of our country. I suggest choosing the three national parks in that area: Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyon. The closest airports, I think, are Las Vegas, or Salt Lake City. If you are flying into Las Vegas, for example, you could possibly time your arrival so that you could drive directly to Zion. When you have completed your National Park visits, you could possibly drive directly to Los Angeles. Then, you can go south to north to San Francisco.

My younger son and his former college roommate went on a guy road trip a couple of years ago, and went to those three aforementioned national parks. They drove directly from Los Angeles, and they had a wonderful time. When I was growing up, my family went on an almost identical trip. Zion is absolutely gorgeous, and not to be missed.

I suggest looking into Southwest Airlines for your internal flights. They have decent fares, and you can check two pieces of luggage per person for free.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 04:48 AM

If you are flying from NYC to Las Vegas, then I'd skip Las Vegas completely. Pick up your rental car on arrival (take an early flight) and drive straight to Springdale. Zion and the Grand Canyon will be hot, but unless you are serious hikers, I don't think it will be too overwhelming, but I'm saying this as someone who has experienced this kind of hot, dry weather before. If you aren't familiar with this kind of heat, you may just wilt. Bryce will be comfortable, however, and I agree that spending time there would be much better than spending more time in LV. I'd add two nights in Bryce if you can, but you might want to do one more night in Zion and one night in Bryce. If you have already booked flights, then just continue with your plan to drop the car in Phoenix, but you'll incur substantial drop-off fees.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Personally, skip antelope canyon and view pictures on the internet
Upper is very crowded. Lower is less.
Taking pictures is difficult with the crowds
Generally, people take the upper canyon first (660 meters) and then the lower (400 m)
Upper depth is about 35 meters; lower is slightly deeper.
Not cheap.

Best experience in Page is Big Johns BBQ on main street. There is evening entertainment.

I suggest Buckskin Canyon near Kanab, Utah en route to Grand Canyon.
Buckskin is the largest slot in US.
Unlike Antelope, it is very deep and long
It has three exits.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah/Arizona

Vaga
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 11:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And buy a case of bottled water after you get your rental car. You’ll need it to stay hydrated.