Vegas/Grand Canyon

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 12:10 PM
George Kalmancy

Vegas/Grand Canyon

Going to Vegas in mid-February with wife and some friends. My wife and I are the adventurous type and are considering getting away from the crowds and strip and driving out to the Grand Canyon for a day and possibly elsewhere such as the "desert" ?
Is it worth the drive to the Canyon for a day trip or do you suggest we stay overnight. We'll be in Vegas for 5 nights and 6 days. Any suggestions for "evening (night)" sightseeing off the strip ?
Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated
greatly.
PS. Is there snow in the Canyon in February ?

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 06:31 PM
Jen

It takes several hours to drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas, so I would not recommend driving there and back in the same day. It's a pretty boring drive, and even to go there one day and drive back the next doesn't sound appealing (and we like road trips! [we drove to the Canyon from the south, then onto Vegas, so only took that trip in one direction]). If you do decide to stay there for one day/night, you could get in a little bit of hiking and a partial tour. It's just not enough time - going to the Grand Canyon is a vacation in itself for active people. But, a "taste" of it is certainly better than none! Have fun!

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 06:13 AM
Erich Pokorny

George:

Having lived in Arizona for over 18 years and also being one to explore the desert frequently, I too would not recommend driving roundtrip to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas in one day. The one-way trip (to the South Rim) alone will take you at least 4-5 hours. The weather should be nice, although most likely chilly and possibly windy (vast, open areas). Depending on the weather in the high country, you might well encounter some snow (along Interstate 40 and the highway from Williams, Arizona to the South Rim), but the real, heavy snow is to be found on the North Rim (probably still closed at this time of year). I hope this doesn't deter you from seeing one of the most spectacular sights in the world, though! Please enjoy your trip. If there is any additional information I can provide you, please don't hesitate to E-mail me.

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 04:16 PM
Jody

Definitely get outside of the Strip area! I went
to Lee Canyon, Red Rock Canyon, and Hoover Dam
while I was there and am glad I did!! Happy traveling and watch out for the burros in the middle of the road!
P.S. If you haven't been before catch the Fremont
Street Experience downtown--it's pretty spectacular!

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 05:32 PM
Polly

North of LV just off the interstate is "Valley of Fire" with incredible sandstone (I believe that is what the park rangers said) rock formations...beautiful drive-through views and informative visitor's center. Also, south of LV is Hoover Dam. By all means, take in the Freemont Experience...it's a little touristy, but so is Disney World.