Search

Vegas-G.C.-Zion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegas-G.C.-Zion

Is it worthwhile to make the trip from Vegas to G.C. South Rim and Zion in 3 days?
I'm assuming South Rim to Zion is best going East rather than back-track to NV. Am I right and how is this drive weather-wise in early April?
Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.
* By "worthwhile" I mean enjoyable without feeling rushed and too much driving.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 02:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I believe in working with what you have.

It's a drive for a short period but I've done more driving in that period of time.

It you drive between the South Rim and Zion you should plan on a 3 hour stop in Page to see Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon.

In my opinion GC is the least of the great sights.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 02:24 AM

How much hiking do you want to do in the parks?

You could do one of the airplane tours that leaves Vegas in the early morning, goes up over Lake Meade, along the Colorado River, lands at the GC south rim, busses you to Bright Angel Lodge, then out to Hermit's Rest for great pictures then flys back to Vegas by supper. Then the next day drive up to Zion and spend the night and do a bit of hiking.

If you decide to drive yourself to GC, you could do it but it would involve a LOT of driving. One day get up early, drive to GC, visit a bit, leave and stay somewhere along the way back. Next day drive to Zion, spend the night. Next day hike Zion head back to Vegas.

Unless it is actually snowing (unlikely in Vegas or Zion, possible in GC) roads will be fine.

It is about 5 - 6 hours each way Vegas to GC and about 3 hours Vegas to Zion.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:14 AM

It's a really long drive, and I don't think it's worth it since you'll spend roughly half your time driving; it's a pretty punishing daylong drive from the South Rim to Zion. I've done the trip from LV to Zion (always worthwhile) and to Bryce and the North Rim, but that's still closed in April.

I did a lot of driving on that trip (more than I would normally do voluntarily), but it wasn't such a problem my partner had hurt his knee so we couldn't have done any hiking in any of the parks; therefore, we were just there for the scenery. So we did everything as a day-trip from Zion and spend three nights there.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM

I would pick one or the other, not both. Zion has a lot of nice hikes and has more things to do and offers just as much scenic beauty, but just not the initial wow factor. The Grand Canyon can be done in a day, but it is best if you spend a night there and catch a sunrise and sunset. Perhaps hike a bit down into the canyon depending on your ability and desire. At either place, try for "in park lodging" If you drive to Grand Canyon, check out Hoover Dam as well. The trip that emalloy suggests would be nice, if you just want to see it.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, you will do a fair amount of driving.

It depends what you want to do at each place, and how efficient you are planning and driving.

It's 5 hours from LV to South Rim.
5 hours from South Rim to Zion
Then 3 hours from Zion to LV.

As I wrote above, GC is not one of my favorite places.

Except that you're going in early April, I would almost suggest you leave Zion late in the afternoon of you 2nd day and be in Bryce for sunrise and a relatively short hike before returning to LV.

I'm sure there will be snow there though.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM

If you truly don't want to feel rushed and not do too much driving, I think you should pick one or the other. Since Zion is closer to LV, that's what I would suggest, and there is more than enough to do there for a three day trip. But you may want to consider the weather - others here would know better than me, but I think the higher elevations in Zion can still be pretty snowy.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Considering extending this portion to four days but have to weigh the quantity vs. quality. I understand that Zion has more options than G.C. but just can't make the trip from South Carolina w/o seeing G.C. One of those "check off the list" things. Will do some hiking- limited in G.C.- but probably more in Zion.
Will continue to consider.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 03:14 AM

I agree, GC is a must see. I thought it would be on my check off list but have gone back 6 times since the first trip and it still amazes me. There is as much or as little hiking there as you choose to do.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 04:09 AM

For Early April, I would do the Grand Canyon. Not sure if you oculd hike The Narrows in April in Zion and it is a trail not to be missed in my opinion. You would do it in a wetsuit at that time. I did it in a wetsuit in Oct. But, the water levels might be pretty high in April. I'm not sure.

How much hiking do you like to do?
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 05:56 AM

If you stay at the Grand Canyon, the two trails that go into the canyon give you fantastic views, as long as you can handle the descent. We took the Kaibab trail, which was excellent. And there is a turn-around spot along the trail called Ooh-Aah Point that is not to far, and provides great views. I have not taken the Bright Angel trail but it looked from the canyon rim like hikers had to descend and walk farther to get out into the canyon.