Reload this Page >

Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 01:03 PM
BobGribbin

We are planning a two week vacation starting at the end of July. flying from Manchester in England to Vegas we would like to see Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite and end up at San Francisco before returning to Vegas. Any help with value hotels, tips, things not to be missed or to be wary of would be greatly appreciated!

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 06:02 PM
Louis Dameson

I can offer a few comments to help you. You will have no problem in getting to La Vegas. I imagine that you plan to drive from there to San Francisco. Right now, Death Valley temperate is 125F. The valley is an outstanding sight but you will almost have limit it to very early morning or late at night or inside an air conditioned car. We were there early this month and when it reached 115F it was even hot for me who loves hot weather. A lovely place to stay overnight there is the Furnace Creek Inn which has summer rates. They have a unusual spring fed pool but the water temperate was 95F when we were last there. They may be over your budget. The Ranch is ok but I would prefer Stovepipe Wells. The problem in Yosmite is getting a place to stay. I don't know how you solve this problems from England. If you have a solution through a travel agent take it. Yosmite again is an outstanding destination and the El Nino weather this year would indicate that the falls still have plenty of water. In the worse case try to stop outside the park and spend some time in it. You will not regret it. Even if you are camping, you are not likely to find camp sites easily in Yosemite. You will find no problem in getting to San Francisco. Avoid freeway traffic if you can by traveling in the area before 7am or after 10 am and then avoid the period from 3pm to 7pm on weekdays. Weekends are less of a traffic problem.

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 08:02 PM
Dayle

I'm a native Californian. Here's my advice. Just skip Death Valley in August!! They don't call it Death Valley for nothing. Temperatures reported above are accurate. It's a beautiful place, but not in the summer. Spend more time in the National Parks, the Napa Valley, the Motherload (gold rush) Country, Monterey. All wonderful, but crowded, in the summer. Just make sure you have lodging reservations ahead and you'll be fine. Enjoy the Golden State!

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 05:45 AM
Paul Rabe

I agree with the post on skipping Death Valley in August; it WILL horribly hot, hotter than anything you could imagine. Instead, try this: leave Vegas by heading south-west on I-15, then west on Hiway 58 at Barstow, then north on Hiway 99 at Bakersfield. East on Hiway 198 at Visalia, visting Sequoia NP. Head to Fresno on Hiway 180, then north on Hiway 41 to the Wawona entrance of Yosemite. Exit Yosemite via the east entrance at Tioga Pass. After leaving Tioga Pass, head north on US Hiway 395, visiting Mono Lake and Bodie State Park (an absolutely authentic ghost town, not an amusement park replica). Stop at Lake Tahoe (don't miss Emerald Bay). Then take I-80 west into San Francisco.
At this time of the year, Sequoia NP will be MUCH more enjoyable than Death Valley!

Under no circumstances whatsoever should you skip Yosemite because you can't find lodging within the Valley (and, BTW, you won't). Bring a tent (or buy one here at a discount store!) and camp just outside the Park. You'll have a pit toilet and one faucet in the entire campground, but you will find SOMETHING if you arrive early in the day and in the middle of the week. But don't miss Yosemite!!

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 12:34 PM
Arizona

It's 108 degrees on our back porch this afternoon, and I am telling you -- STAY OUT OF DEATH VALLEY!!!
There is only one word for it in summer: AWFUL. Even we Arizonans give it a pass in summer.
Why not investigate some of California's other magnificent parks? Kings Canyon, for starters. Be sure to see Muir Woods north of San Francisco. Go to the top of Mt. Tamapais for the view of a lifetime. But for Heaven's sake, avoid Death Valley!

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 08:42 AM
K. Aikin

If you're in Vegas, be sure to visit Red Rock Canyon, about 5 miles out of town. There is a charge of $5 to drive the scenic route, but if you get there about 1 hr before the closing time of 8pm, you can take the drive for free (according to the Park Ranger with whom we spoke, they stop collecting the fee after 7 pm). You should also try to make the trip down to Hoover Dam, on the Nevada-Arizona border. Spend the $8 for the tour into the Dam. Well worth the experience!