Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Vanderbilt Beach Resort & Vanderbilt Beach Inn, Naples, FL...good hotels? Looking for Naples FL Hotel..Please Advise.

Search

Vanderbilt Beach Resort & Vanderbilt Beach Inn, Naples, FL...good hotels? Looking for Naples FL Hotel..Please Advise.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Diane

Hello,

I am looking for a nice Naples Florida Hotel for a 5 day trip in March. I would prefer to stay in the area of Vanderbilt Beach. Can anyone tell me anything about Vanderbilt Beach Resort or The Vanderbilt Inn? I am not looking for a superior hotel just a nice, clean hotel within walking distance to the beach. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Diane

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Patrick

They both fit your description and I'd say are pretty equal in amenities and quality. Take your pick from whichever can give you the best rates. Both are right on the beach, and not very far apart.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:50 PM
dtk

The Inn at Pelican Bay is approx .5 miles from the beach and a pretty nice hotel for the $$. It is right down from the Ritz. I have stayed there several times, the only draw back it is not right on the beach.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Carol

Both hotels are fine - the Vanderbilt Beach Resort has a terrific restaurant, the Turtle Club. Great food, right on the water. Wonderful at sunset. I live in Naples, and just enjoyed a wonderfu meal at The Turtle Club last night. The location of either hotel is great - midway between Naples and Bonita. Bonita has some very awesome restaurants including the best ice cream shop in the world, the Royal Scoop. Don't miss that, and particularly the rum raisin icecream! Another interesting dining establishment is Trader's. It looks like a furniture store from the outside, but inside in the middle of it is an incredible restaurant serving ewonderful food. The Dixie Moon Cafe on Old Rt. 41 in Bonita is great too if you like good ole southern cooking (including collards). Have fun!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:26 PM
davi

I think Vanderbilt Beach Resort is the better choice.I stayed there last April and found the location ideal. Rooms were not fancy but adequate, and the beach was ideal.The resort came alive each evening with music, and the beach in front of the resort was great for watching the sunset,strolling, or just sitting enjoying the ambiance.There was even a wedding ceremony on that part of the beach one night....perfect. I would not stay off the beach. Have a great trip

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:14 PM
xxx

Davi, since you feel that Vanderbilt Beach Resort is clearly the better choice, please tell me what makes it better than the Vanderbilt Beach Inn. I assume you have stayed in both to make the comparison. What was it about the VB Resort that was better than the VB Inn? I always thought the Inn was supposed to have much nicer rooms. How did yours at the two places compare? Thanks.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:32 AM
davi

sorry after your post I looked up both vanderbuilt inns. It was actually the vanderbuilt inn, not the resort at which I stayed. my comments remain the same.I never stayed at the resort but walked to it, toured the grounds, and looked at a room.It was almost the very first resort at the other end of the beach, if I remember correctly. It had a very 60's feel to it.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:11 PM
jersey

Try the Mobil travel guides. they rate the establishments and restaurants. I have never been steered wrong and have used their recommendations for years from Maine to Florida coasts.Search online or visit the library for regional books on different states and their cities.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Jonathan

Diane
For less than you would pay at those hotels, you will get a better room, better service and still be walking distance to the Vanderbilt Beach by staying at the Inn at Pelican Bay. 50 people who attended my wedding stayed there and each made a point of telling us how much they enjoyed it. I considered the hotels you mentioned, but after visiting them, the Inn was our first choice for wedding guests hands down.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:03 PM
xxx

Apparently you failed to read the original question, Jonathon. Diane was looking for a place to stay within walking distance of the beach. She was not looking for a place to put up wedding guests. While it is certainly possible to walk from the Inn at Pelican Bay to the beach, it hardly meets the criteria of being a beach-front relax type place. It was built as a businessman's hotel and remains primarily so -- a nice one, but not what I would guess Diane is looking for.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Patrick

Had just seen this thread ending with Johnathon's post, and did a little research then lost the thread. I see meanwhile xxx answered. The Inn at Pelican Bay is a nice place, but I'd agree it doesn't fill the bill for someone looking for a place on the beach. And I'm not so sure about the savings either. I just checked out all three places. Rooms at the Vanderbilt Inn right now are $145 to $170, at the Vanderbilt Beach Resort currently $149 to $175, and at the Inn at Pelican Bay currently $145 to $250. In the summer or even starting May 1 they all go down, but pretty much the same amount. The Vanderbilt Beach Resort however is soon supposed to be torn down to build a new condominium project, and I see on their website they show no rates beyond April 30 of this year, so perhaps that is their closing.
There is no doubt that The Inn at Pelican Bay is a MUCH more luxurious property, but for someone wanting to "bum out on the beach", either of the Vanderbilt places would be a better option.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Patrick

And once again, now that I've posted I see that the original question is no longer valid since Diane was looking for a place in March, which is already gone. Did you let us know which place you chose, Diane? How was it?