Search

Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 1997, 08:11 AM
Maiga

Vancouver

I am planning a trip to Vancouver in september and I would love to hear about any recommendations on good hotels and interesting things to see and do. In advance, thank you for your comments.

Old May 23rd, 1997, 11:34 AM
d. spiegel

I stayed recently at a charming B&B in New Westminister, a suburb of Vancouver. It's called the Henley House. They have a web page. Search: Henley House. Very reasonably priced. Fabulous gourmet breakfasts included. Ask for Uncle Arthur's Room.

Old May 24th, 1997, 11:50 PM
A.J.

Vancouver is usally a great place to visit in Sept. Would highly recommend you book a hotel as early as possible because the city is very popular with tourists & conventions. The Westin Bayshore, Hotel Vancouver, Hyatt Regency, the Sutton Place Hotel, & the Pan Pacific Hotel are all highly regarded up-scale accomodations. As for sites, try to get to Stanley Park, Queen Elizabeth Park, Granville Island Market, University of B.C., & Grouse Mountain, as well as any boat, bus, or train tour. Hope you have a good time!

Old May 29th, 1997, 06:18 AM
Nelson Lau

There are a lot of Bed and Breakfast Serv.in the
Greater Vancouver Area. For further information,
please write to me. Thanks

Old Jun 1st, 1997, 07:17 PM
Lori

The Four Seasons Hotel is another good upscale choice in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The Waterfront Centre Hotel is a harbour/mountain view alternative superior to the Pan Pacific. Plan a trip to Whistler in the mountains north of Vancouver for a breathtaking scenic drive and plenty of hiking, biking, golf, and great dining (Val D'Isere, Araxi, or Umberto's). Top accomodations at the Chateau Whistler Resort.

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 11:27 AM
D. Haley

Is Henley House convenient to the city? Is it in a nice neighborhood? We're a couple, city-types, in our 40s, love restaurants, bookstores, exploring, architecture. And we're leaving soon! Flying out of Minneapolis Thursday night. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 7th, 1997, 10:14 AM
GARY E.

I CAN'T BELIEVE NOBODY HAS SUGGESTED THE BUCHART GARDENS ACROSS THE WATER BY FERRY IN VICTORIA, OR VICTORIA ITSELF. THE ONE PLACE YOU DONT WANT TO MISS IF GOING TO VANCOUVER. ALSO IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH EAST INDIAN FOOD THIS IS AN EXCELLANT TOWN TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU ARE MISSING. I WOULD SUGGEST CHICKEN TIKA MISALA, OR CURRY CHICKEN WITH PULAO RICE, IT CAN BE SPICY OR NOT AS YOU DESIRE. ANY OF THE MORE REPUTABLE INDIAN RES. ARE GOOD, (AS ARE SOME OF THE DISREPUTABLE ONES) HAHA. HAVE FUN.
DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT SPENDING A DAY AT BUCHART GARDENS!
G.E.

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 09:40 PM
Jackie

If you like Indian food you can't miss VIJ'S.
It's located in the South Granville area of Vancouver and is felt by many to be one of the best restaurants around. It's prices are also very reasonable. If you go, go early as they don't take reservations.

Old Jul 2nd, 1997, 08:01 PM
Perry Miller

Just got back from a trip to Victoria-Vancouver-and the Canadian Rockies. In Vancouver, we stayed in this charming old hotel right on the waterfront at English Bay in Vancouver: the Sylvia Hotel.
If you're looking for a big lobby and lots of marble, then this is not the place for you. But the location and ambience is wonderful. Right on the beach, with a good restaurant and easy access to Stanley Park, we loved it. And you can't beat the price. We had a unit with two bedrooms for about $85 US per night. Sure, the furnishings aren't the "latest," but the location is so good it's become a popular place for vacationers to stay. Nearby in Stanley Park is the famous Vancouver Aquarium, as well as great harbor views and the wonderful "Fish House" restaurant. Downtown is only 10 minutes away, with great views of the harbor from Canada Place. The IMAX theater, with its five-story screen provided a nice indoor experience. Just north of town, the Grouse Mountain tram provided a wonderful view of the city from the mountaintop. The Ford Theater had a good production of "Phantom of the Opera." I think "Showboat" is coming later this summer/fall. A drive over to "Lighthouse Park" provided a nice walk through some towering trees to a lighthouse on the coast; Lynn Canyon Park had a neat swinging suspension bridge over a surging river. And you can't beat the "people-watching" in Vancouver: they are from "everywhere."

Old Jul 9th, 1997, 06:00 PM
dennis holland

We stayed at the Rosedale on Robson Hotel last year, new all-suite hotel with good rates. Very clean, good service, on site parking, next to the new library.
We went to Granville Island and ate at a small seafood restaurant, not overlooking the water, only had a few tables but the food was fresh and tasty and reasonably prices. Can't remember the name but there are not too many restaurants on Granville. Get the map of the shops and it will be listed. Several of the larger ones did not even have many seafood choices on the menu.
Museums were disappointing but go to North Vancouver on the seabus, up Grouse Mtn. with the tram, highway 99, sea to sky highway, Victoria for Butchart Gardens but skip tea at the Empress overpriced and small portions, try tea elsewhere.
Dennis