Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Valet Parking put 52 miles on our car in NYC!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valet parked our car during a four night stay at The Roosevelt Holel. The car was returned to us with an additional 52 miles from the mileage when taken, a bag of dried pineapple in the driver's side door compartment, coffee spilt, the cup holder broken, which is probably why the coffee spilt, or maybe not, and...cigarette ashes...we don't smoke.

We informed the hotel because we payed for the valet parking through them. They requested a written statement, and we have heard nothing since. Any suggestions on how to handle this? We plan on returning to NYC, we had a fantastic time but what do we do with the car. I checked out iconparking.com but found that they valet park too. Is this common in the city. How do we avoid this during our next trip?

Thanks for any suggestions and beware!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:56 AM

I would contact the hotel in writing by certified mail to the attanetion of hotel manager, return receipt requested. Keep a copy of the original letter and the new one and if no reply in 14 days try the ombudsman at Conde Nast Traveler - I think they're pretty good at stepping in on things like that,
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. The hotel manager phoned me and I sent him a detailed email. He mailed back that he received it and would pass it on, so... It's only been a week, but I think I should have heard something. I'm going to email him back. I loved the hotel but will not stay again due to this circumstance. I understand they contract the valet service and maybe none of them are legitimate.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM
X

Had it been Chicago, I would have refered you to Feris Bueller's Day Off.

However, the closest thing I can come up with is the Seinfeld episode where hookers are turning tricks in Goeoges's car in his new parking lot. Kramer is also mistakenly pinned as a pimp when he wears the extra coat from Joesph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:30 PM

It does sound like you've been Ferris Buellered.

Write a short (not long letter). Be concise to what you want. Consider asking for a refund of parking fees or 1 day room rate or a voucher for 1 day's room rate. If you want a free 4 day stay, they will probably refuse.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:09 PM
GoTravel

You may get a better and faster response if you write the hotel manager and send the letter certified mail instead of just an email. Also, and most important, CC (courtesy copy) the parent company President and anyone else you can find that is a higher up than the GM. Make sure you send these letters certified mail also.

Not knocking email but a written letter sent certified and to superiors places the incident on a higher priority status.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:34 PM

I would have called the police.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:47 PM

djkbooks! That was what I was thinking! Someone took your car and went for a drive without your permission!
That is theft to me! I would raise some fuss!!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:31 PM

I think you should call the police; it may be too late, but it's worth a try.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:40 PM
dln

I think I should also print out this thread and let the Roosevelt Hotel know that this incident with your car has been discussed publicly. Hotels tend not to like negative publicity on them. They might be inclined to rectify matters more quickly.

Also, how did you know the car had 52 extra miles on it? Did you set your trip odometer to zero before handing it over? If that's what you did, I think it was very clever. Frankly, I wouldn't have thought of that, but it certainly is a useful thing to do.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:41 PM

Calling the NYPD will be a waste of your time and their time. Can you prove your mileage went up by 52 miles? Do you know exactly who had the car and access to the car at all times, given shift changes, etc.? Probably not in either case which means someone will take a report and it'll get filed, never to see the light of day. Honestly, no dectective is going to spend his time on this when the chance of a felony collar is zilch.

As others stated, contact the hotel manager in writing. Suggest a reasonable compensation (my company reimburses me $.325 cents per mile, for example) plus the inconvienience. Maybe, at best, he'll comp your stay. Tell him you're expecting a response within a few weeks.

If he doesn't respond and you still want to push it, send another letter and this time CC the NY Better Business Bureau and a few of the local TV stations. ABC, for example, has "7 on Your Side." They love this kind of stuff.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:49 PM
GoTravel

Federal mileage went up to $.36 per mile but I would insist upon more.

Also a great idea to print out this thread and mail to the GM.

Probably right about the NYPD not wanting to do anything after the fact but I would give them a call anyway.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:50 PM

I agree and disagree with Ryan. Yep, that report will probably be filed away somewhere in the vastness of NYPD, but, you never know if your report is the first on that hotel, or the fifth that week! Yours could be the one that prompts action. You just never know.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Such things wouldn't happen if you'd stop taking your red Ferrari into the city on vacation.

Seriously, though, Owen's comment is excellent.
Do this:

Draft another letter to hotel management and inform them that you have submitted a summary of your difficulties to Ombudsman at Conde Nast. This really does carry weight with any reputable business or tourist hotel.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions! As far as knowing the mileage, we wrote down the number of miles on the car when we arrived at the hotel, we didn't reset the odometer, they could have done that as well. They certainly didn't attempt to clean up their trail of garbage. But interestingly, we drove my friend's car into the city, which is a 2001 Hyundai Elantra, certainly not a luxury car!

Your right! We have been Ferris Buellered! Hope they had as great a time!!!

As far as proof, none! Just our word. Can't imagine asking the valet driver to write down the mileage, sign, and date.

I am returning to NYC in a few weeks with my mother and sisters and as much as we loved The Roosevelt Hotel and it's location. I won't stay there. The price was good $159 a night plus $40 a day for valet parking. We paid the hotel for the parking, they contract the valet service. I really feel that whoever WE pay for the service is responsible. In my email to the manager, I requested kindly, to be refunded for the valet parking, $160. If they offered us a complementary night, I wouldn't know what to do with our car. Although, I hope, this isn't a common thing, but who knows. We loved the city and had a great trip regardless. Will definately visit again soon, just not the Roosevelt. I have checked out Icon Parking. A lot of their lots are valet too. Could run into the same problem. Anyone have any safer parking suggestions.

The parking situation really isn't a big deal, it's the point. It could always be worse. I just don't think we should have to pay for it!

Also, I did speak personally with the hotel manager and he asked me to document everything in detail and he'd forward it to...??? I did receive a confirmation email that he received my letter. I think I'll call him tomorrow to follow up!

Just beware!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:48 PM
jor

I'm so sorry you have the unfortunate situation and convienence of driving to NYC to get a cheaper flight.

I can not understand why you are willing to pay double for Everything on the east coast. I traveled out of Waco two years ago for a trip to Europe and payed $0 to park for two weeks, one block from the airport. And no Valet in sight. So in answer to your question, leave the east coast!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Reply to Avella, To park your own car and keep your keys try locating a "Park and Lock" garage. There is one near Lincoln Center and there used to be one by the Port Authority Bus Terminal Building 40 to 42nd and 8th Ave (If I remember correctly). Hope this helps.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Avella
Did you take photographs of the mess in your car? The broken cup holder?
That might help when sending complaints, to include some evidence.
By contacting the Police, you are also validating your own story to the hotel, proving that something did happen and you are serious.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:14 AM

We had a similar experience staying at the Marriott Financial District hotel in June 2001 but with a very different outcome. When the car came back from the valet, it wouldn't start so they had to jump it. Also one of the cup holders was broken. We saw this before we left (having to wait for the jump gave us time to look it over) and complained to the hotel. Marriott immediately gave us money off our room and the contact person to get reimbursed for the repair for the cup holder. Our reimbursement came promptly after we had it fixed. It was unpleasant to have the car returned with damage, but Marriott really handled the situation right.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:10 AM

The hotel and valet company do not have to do anything for you unless you reported the damages to them immediately upon picking up the car. Anything reported after you leave will be disavowed by them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -