Search

Valentines In NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Debi

Valentines In NYC

I'm planning our "1st time" trip to NYC as a Valentine's surprise for my husband for the weekend (2 nites) ...his boss is helping by "acting" like he is sending him on business...and I'll be waiting at the hotel. I'm pretty sure I want to stay at the Marriott Marquis because he's wanted to see Times Square for years and the atrium, in-house theatre,and roof-top rest.sound romantic. I've got a room for with view for $239 and hope it's the best rate. I want us to "see" all that we can in our 3 days but don't have a lot of $$ saved...
Is it even possible to do this? We are in our early 40's and in fair shape for walking.
I'd like to see things like Empire State Bldg., Statue of Liberty, go thru Central Park in a carriage, and attend the theatre <maybe the Marquis?>and see Madison Square Garden, eat at The View, Carnegie Deli, Smith & Wollensky, and the famous pizza place. I'd love to fly to Niagara Falls but I know that won't happen, he's not real wild on museums, but loves sports. Any other ideas? All suggestions appreciated...and are these places open in Feb. How will the weather be? What's the going rate to tip for service, since I will be handling all that?

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:16 AM
xxx.

If you are paying $239 a night you can certainly do better unless you booked a higher priced room. $239 for both nights wouldn't be such a bad deal. Prepare for cold weather in February. You can certainly do all those things you outlined in a weekend. The only sporting events that might be taking place are hockey and basketball. Both would take place in Madison Square Garden. Both events are likely to be sold out even though the teams are not doing well but you should check with the Garden. You can try to get tickets for a Broadway production at the half price Tkts booth at 47th Street, two blocks from the hotel. Pick a show you would like to see and don't be concerned about the theater.
Most theaters are less than five or ten minutes from the hotel. From the Marquis and most hotels in the Times Square area you can walk to the Empire State building, Madison Square Garden, Central Park and the other places mentioned in your note. I assume you want to eat at Smith and Wollensky for the steaks. If that is the reason the steakhouse with the best reputation is Peter Lugars in Brooklyn. Getting there involves taking a cab or finding your way using the subway but most say it is worth the effort.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:01 AM
Judy

Debi, go to www.playbill.com and go to their playbill members only site. You will need to register, but it's free. They offer specials at the Marriot Marquis and give you a special code. Depending on the date, it can be as low as $139/nite, but I believe that for Valentine's it is $189/nite, which is still better than your rate. Of course, I'm sure it's for a standard room, and it does say that there are a limited number of rooms at that price, but you should certainly give it a try. Good luck.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 10:27 AM
Elizabeth

Of course you don't have to set foot in a museum if you've got a lot of other pleasant things to do, but--what about the Museum of Natural History? It isn't very "arty" , and the planetarium is there too, and the shows in the planetarium are supposed to be great.

I'd love to get you into a museum I guess, but not if it's really a ridiculous propostion for this visit. So I'm suggesting the best one for a non-museum person (& one of the Big Three anyhow).

Would he like to see mounted skeletons of real dinosaurs? Big stuffed whales? An amazing show about pearls?

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 10:31 AM
Ilove

This is not "just a museum"-how about going to the Planetarium? It amazes everyone, adults and children..in fact adults can really appreciate it more..And how can you visit NYC and not go to at least one museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art? just for a minute? People back home will say, how could you go to NYC and not go to a museum!!??

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
jill

TIPS FROM A CENTRAL PARK RESIDENT ABOUT CARRIAGES...
I don't live in the park, but I run there every day (twice) and offer the following tips about those carriage rides:
1) Do not go during the day on a weekday and do not go until after 7pm at night (weekday) because cars are still allowed in the park at that time and it's not romantic. It's crowded and awful!
2) Bring your own blanket. They provide them, but let me tell you how many times I've seen the carriage riders wipe the horses down with those blankets. Bring your own!
3) The best time to go is in the evening after 7pm on a Friday or Saturday night (esp. Friday) The park is emptier then and it's far more interesting and romantic. Otherwise, you'll get surrounded by rollerbladers, runners, traffic, and noise.

Have fun!