Vail or other on the weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Boulder, CO in a week and am dying to check out Vail. I have never been skiing/snowboarding out west (I am from Chicago) and am so eager to check it out.

But some locals are telling my friend in Boulder that Vail gets super crowded on the weekends, and to rather check out Beaver Creek instead. Is this sound advice? Or is it worth it to still check out Vail?

Daniel
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Go to Vail. Yes, it will probably be crowded but if you ski/snowboard in the bowls (back side of Vail), Blue Sky Basin and the far left side of the mountain (facing mountain), you'll be ok.

Beaver Creek is very nice but it's not Vail (and BC gets crowded too, with far less terrain).
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM
KMK

If you really want to try Vail, you should try Vail...I think you'll have fun regardless, it is a huge & wonderful place. The back bowls & Blue Sky Basin at Vail are wonderful & can help with crowd escape - but, I don't know your skill level, so I don't know if that is an option. I think you need to be upper intermediate/advanced to enjoy that area of the mountain. If you're going to be stuck on the frontside, I don't think the terrain advantage over Beaver Creek holds anymore.

The conventional wisdom that Beaver Creek will be less crowded does hold true, however. (after all, Vail is closer to Denver, Vail has more terrain variety, Vail has more name recognition - it's more THE place to go than Beaver Creek.) And, if this is your first out west mountain, you are going to be impressed with (and love!) almost any of your mountain options.

Actually, if I might make another suggestion to shorter your drive, save you money, & give you an awesome first experience - I'd suggest Loveland. www.skiloveland.com. Typically not too crowded, wide open bowl type areas just great fun & easy enough for intermediates, plus more challenging steeps available as well, and definitely an awesome, big western ski area (yes, there are plenty bigger, but Loveland is 1200+ acres with a 2400 ft. vertical drop)....of course, you don't have the cachet of saying you skied (or boarded) Vail...

Enjoy wherever you end up!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Let me clarify that I am not an expert if that goes into the decision. The back bowls of Vail or anything black diamond may be OK for me after a few runs, but the group I am going with is comprised of beginners so we would like the long and cruising runs.

We also do not care whatsoever about the resort area or lodging, and if that is what makes Vail so attractive then I would rather go somewhere with less amenities but equal or superior slopes.

What are your opinions of Copper Mountain and Winter Park? They also seem fun and also closer to Boulder.

Daniel

PS Thank you all for your advice!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I agree with the previous poster - that if you want to try Vail, go to Vail. Even if most of the group can't ski in the back (beginners)you can meet up at 2 Elk Lodge for lunch and get the spectacular views of the bowls & Blue Sky.

Vail is Vail because of the skiing, not the lodging, etc. There is currently 5200+ acres of skiable terrain open - the largest resort in the US.

While weekends are considerably busier for Vail than BC, its not going to be any less crowded than Winter Park or Copper.

I'm not a big fan of Copper for mixed abilities as most of the beginner runs are on one side of the resort and the advanced runs are on the other - can't do a "you take the green run & I'll take the black and meet you at the lift."

Any of the Colorado resorts, though, are going to be amazing if you haven't skied out west. Have your friend check out King Soopers or Gart Brothers for discount lift tickets.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I guess my question then is: what makes people say that Vail gets crowded? What is a typically "long" wait time for a lift? We here in Chicago are used to ridiculously long lift lines for even more ridiculously short runs.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Just about all lifts in the front of the mountain are high speed quads - full maze, maybe 5 minutes. In the bowls at peak times 30-45+.

Hint - if you want to ski the back bowls (good upper intermediate) - hit the base lift when it opens- 8:30am
Vista Bahn or Chair 6 out of Gold Peak. Take lifts to the top and go straight into the Bowls. You can probably get 2 runs in the back before it gets crowded around 10-11am. Then go over to Blue Sky. Because of high speed quads, it doesn't back up like the bowls. The Bowl chairs 5 & 17 will be less crowded around 12-1pm, really busy 1-230 then open up a little later. They close at 3:30 to get everyone back onto the front side of the mountain.

HOWEVER - if there's a big dump, locals hit the bowls first thing and track it out. But there will be completely untracked runs on the front side until mid-day. AND, the front side of the mountain is still probably close to 2-3xs the size of any mountain you're used to. The past couple days in Vail, we don't even get to the mountain until 10:30-11 ski the front and were getting face shots b/c everyone else was in the back.

See vail.snow.com for trail maps, etc.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM

We have skied Vail/Beaver Creek the third week in January several times, which includes MLK weekend. We travel on Saturday, ski BC Sun & Mon, then Vail Tues-Friday.

Sitting in the hot tub in the evening, people who skied Vail over the weekend talked about extremely long lines, while we had none at BC.

I agree that, for your first time out West, any of the resorts you mentioned will give you a thrill. We live in Milwaukee, so have probably skied some of the same local hills that you have, like Alpine Valley. The quality of the snow and the long runs in Colorado will delight you.

If you only have a couple of days, I'd pick whichever of the resorts is closest. Winter Park is very low key, no glitz, great mountain. Even on mary Jane, known for its bumps, there are great cruising runs.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:49 AM

Go to Vail and ENJOY. Crowded to Coloradoans is so relative to the rest of us. And we have always particularly liked Vail because you can go to the top of the mountain and have lovely long greens if you want. We just got back from the holiday weekend (Keystone) and the lift waits MIGHT have been 5 minutes. Come to NC and I'll show you lift lines!!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:51 AM

Also, go to City Market and get discount lift tickets. Also sometimes the Summit County newspaper has discount coupons in it.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:08 AM

There are some groomed blues in the back bowls (usually China bowl) that an advanced beginner could handle. Get a grooming map along with a trail map.

Vail is Vail for the skiing. The size and variety of terrain including the back bowls make it unique.

Copper and Winter Park would be just as crowded.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your great input. It seems like we really can't go wrong with any of those choices so I guess we will just have to take a vote in our group. Although Winter Park looks enticing because it's close and we can get lift tickets online for only $58 (as opposed to $71).

I'm also not used to snowboarding in deep powder. I think I have all the essentials: goggles, helmet, snow pants, good gloves and mask. Do you guys carry a small backpack for emergencies?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:38 AM
KMK

<Do you guys carry a small backpack for emergencies?>

I don't. Of course, that's not to say it is a bad idea, but I would say most people who are staying inbounds do not - and the people you DO see with backpacks just have water, food, & some extra clothing, to avoid having to go back to the base to get those things, more than anything. (That is, & not PAY for those things, because you can get food & water mid and top mountain at many big places.)

One other thing to consider if you have not skied with a backpack before, it will affect your balance; not that it can't be adjusted to, but it will be different to start.

Having lived & skied in the midwest myself, I do have to do a reality check - yeah, by comparison, you are not going to find Colorado, even on a weekend, very crowded.

As far as powder, don't worry too much - honestly, it's hard to predict if you'll even get any. If you do, you'll struggle a bit as you get the feel for it (& probably fall quite a bit!), but it will be a fun time.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

One final question:

For those of you that have ever checked in skis or snowboards on a flight, any special recommendations? I plan on taking off the bindings and wrapping the boards in bubblewrap before I put them in the bag. My only concern is the people throwing the bags and cracking a board...

Daniel
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:23 PM

I've checked skis to Canada and Australia/NZ in a soft-sided ski bag. Wrapped jeans around the skis, a couple t-shirts around the jeans and a sweater/fleece around that. Never had a problem.

That said, I was going for an entire season. If I were to ski only for a couple days, I would take my boots and rent skis and skip the hassle.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM
MaureenB

If cost is an issue, check out the E Book, which I believe you can still get on-line for $10 (read the blackout dates before purchase, of course). It contains four two-for-one tickets for both Winter Park and Copper. Best lift ticket deal I know of.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:56 PM
MaureenB

The E Book on-line is at http://www.coloradokids.com/epage/
But I just noticed you're in Colorado next week, so maybe not time to order on-line. Last year we were able to buy ours directly from The Denver Post office downtown. You could call them and ask about it if you're interested.
Have fun in our beautiful state! Boulder's a great place to visit, too, you know.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM

Just wanted to add - if you're going for the day on a weekend, make sure you hit the road early. There have been dozens of weekends where I found myself parked on I-70 between Boulder and Vail because of the traffic.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:37 PM
KMK

<For those of you that have ever checked in skis or snowboards on a flight, any special recommendations? >

Ugh, I always hate this part of a ski trip - but, I always check my skis. I have a hard sided case, which somehow Northwest managed to drop from some great height & dent the case & shear off a wheel. Thankfully, the skis were fine. I also once watched an American Airlines baggage cart in Calgary whip around real fast, scattering soft sided ski bags (which were on top of the cart) all across the tarmac.

Well, in spite of all that horror, my skis (and the skis & boards of numerous friends who have carefully packed their equipment in well-padded soft bags) have all arrived safely. In spite of everything, MOST of the time everything arrives, and arrives intact!

Renting is not a bad option to save yourself the aggravation, particularly if your gear is only adequate and/or you are looking to perhaps demo some of the latest stuff. To this point, I haven't gone that route - if you need to rent the high end gear - which, frankly, I would given the level I ski at - I would be looking at about $40 a day, that's $200 on a 5 day trip for just me, $400 for me & the husband. I *might* seriously consider shipping the gear ahead Fedex or one of those sports specialty delivery companies, if I was worried enough, though. However, I don't think my husband would be happy about that - HIS perspective is, it's just skis & if the airline loses or damages them, he'll get his $ out of them for replacement...and rent high performance skis on their dime.