Vail in September

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vail in September

Sonnenalpe Resort. Can someone please pronounce that to me! I hear its beautiful and hope it is . Our 1st trip to Vail and we're going at this season because we don't ski. Is there enough to do staying 6 nights?
Rick
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM

If you take day trips to Glenwood Springs, Leadville, etc.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM
MaureenB

So-nenn-alp. Don't know how to put the marks above the syllables: long O in So, short E in NEN, ALP pronounced as it looks.

We stayed there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It is a VERY nice resort and spa, in the heart of Vail. The rooms are beautiful. We had a one bedroom suite, that was very large with a nice entryway, a fireplace in the front room, balconies off both rooms, a gorgeous and huge marble bathroom with a heated floor, flat screen TVs, view of Gore Creek, etc.. I think it was room 210. Great European style service there. A junior suite down the hall, I think 201 or 203, is in the corner so it overlooks trees and the creek.

Will you have a car? There's plenty to do in the area, in addition to the pool and spa services of the Sonnenalpe (sp?). They rent bikes there, too. If you like to bike and are acclimated to the altitude, there's a bike path to the top of Vail pass. It's a challenging ride, of course.

You could drive to Aspen and back in a day, via Glenwood Springs. I think it's about 2 hours each way. Breckenridge is close and is fun to visit. There's plenty to do.
>-

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM

I don't know how they pronounce it locally, but in the German the last e would usually take an "uh" sound, similar to "Schadenfreude" and "Porsche."
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM

It's been a long time since my German lessons, but Maureen's pronuciation is spot on.

The Sonnenalp is my favorte place to stay in Vail. Gore Creek runs next to it, so if your lucky enough to get a room on that side be sure to open your window.

Breakfast is a feast and the restuarant is good also. However Sweet Basils's is one of Vail's best (restaurant).

The ride up Vail pass is challenging but no need to go all the way. You can also ride on the path that goes west of Vail over to Avon/Edwards.

Other places to visit would include Beaver Creek and Edwards. Besides biking there is hiking, the Betty Ford Botanical Gardens,shopping,
concerts,golf,tennis, ice skating, chair lift rides, assuming they will be open.Yes,I think you'll have enough to do for 6 nights.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Aha, I figured out the problem! The hotel is spelled "Sonnenalp" without the "e" on the end!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM

We will be there also in Sept...it is beautiful time to be there..nice and quiet...maybe fall colors....nice part is that most of Vail is half off the regular price in this off season time...things will be closed but plenty stuff to do..lots of 2 for 1 specials at restruants...just be sure to have done some walking to build up to the high thin air if your from the lower states....have a good time..