Vail Area Restaurants

Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Vail Area Restaurants

My husband and I are planning a ski trip in February, and plan on skiing 4 days. We are arriving Tues evening, and Leaving on SUnday. Vail is a definate, Breck, Keystone, Copper and The Beav are undecided. Where to stay? Avon, Dillon, or Frisco? Worried about weekend traffic and was thinking The Beav for Saturday. We are also looking for some good restaurants and nightlife. we like small local joints, and nothing touristy. recommendations for dining in the overall area? any county bars?
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:52 PM

I like Sweet Basils in Vail Village. I've eaten there 3 times and have always enjoyed my food. Always crowded-----twice during ski season, and once in the summer. Memorable appetizer: The Tomato Tower. Fried green tomatoes, red and yellow tomatoes, all on a stick. Very tasty, and pretty too! (and I'm not really a tomato-lover!) Happy Planning.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:17 AM

I, too, can recommend Sweet Basil - excellent. Make a reservation.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
MaureenB

If your airfare isn't bought yet, could you leave on Monday instead of Sunday? I-70 eastbound to Denver is a nightmare anymore on Sundays, at practically any time of day.

Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:34 AM

By "The Beav"... I assume you mean Beaver Creek vs. Wally's younger brother? I'm not sure once you get out here "the beav" will be recognized as a ski resort.

I would stay in one spot. That could be either Vail (since you are commited to ski there one day) or Frisco as it is central. I've never had traffic problems driving between Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Copper, etc. To move between ski resorts is just unnecessary (not to mention a waste of time).

The traffic from these areas to Denver is terrible on Sat. and Sun. evening - but it will start closer to the Eisenhower Tunnel. I agree with the suggestion to avoid departure on Sunday - unless you plan to leave the mountains in the morning.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:00 PM

Stay at either Beaver or Vail, ski 2 days each.

Or, stay and ski 4 days at one or the other, and relax! Make sure it is ski in/out or walk-to lifts.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM

Just returned from several days at the Sonnenalp in Vail and another excellent meal at Sweet Basil's. Still think it is one of the best restaurants in the area, arguably in Colorado. It never disappoints.

Please don't refer to it as The Beav as no one well know what you're talking about.

There won't be much difference in weekend traffic especially between Beaver Creek and Vail, so why bother with going to to Beaver Creek for just one night? It'll be busy all over Summit county and the Vail area on a weekend.

Of course, it'll be less expensive to stay in Frisco/Dillon. For a good restaurant in Frisco especially for breakfast try the Log Cabin on west Main St. They also do a good job with evening meals although their opening hours can be a bit odd. Another option is the Blue Spruce Inn and the Swan Mt. Inn. As far as something that's not touristy, these areas cater to tourists and the only time they're not touristy is in the off season. I can't think of any place where you'll find only/mostly locals.

Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
KMK

Conventional wisdom is, of those you have mentioned, Beaver Creek will be the least crowded on Saturday. Whatever you do, DON'T pick Breck for Saturday, I think they may be the busiest resort in the U.S., if I remember correctly.

There's nothing wrong with the suggestions to only pick one or two places, as these are ALL first rate ski areas - but, I couldn't do it, LOL! Seems when I am in a new area, I need to sample as many places as possible, don't feel bad if you are the same way! (Disclaimer: When I was in the same boat as you, I DID end up doing Vail twice - we had 6 days of skiing, so we picked our favorite to ski again, and Vail was it; Vail is huge & you probably DO need more than one day to experience it.)

Do get an early start on your drive back on Sunday. I wouldn't necessarily change your flights over that - heck, you are probably just trying to make the most of whatever vacation days you have, most of us don't have the luxury of appending another workday to our vacation just to avoid a little traffic!

Anyway, Colorado skiing is great, you should have a wonderful time.

(Restaurants: This is backtracking a little, there is a fabulous Czech restaurant - Cafe Prague - in Georgetown, Co. Matter of fact, you might be able to save yourselves some driving & lodging $ by staying at the Georgetown Super 8 on Saturday night & eating dinner at this place...then you are already through the Eisenhower tunnel on Sunday....)
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help with your advice. just as an FYI, we are flying in and out of EGE airport. do you think that this will help?
Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
KMK

EGE? I should think no problem - you won't have to deal with I-70 back to Denver, won't have to get thru the Eisenhower tunnel (makes my suggestion to backtrack to Georgetown kind of silly, then - I think everyone assumed you were flying into Denver)
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Eagle will be no problem... and you will have minimal traffic concerns overall in that case.

To be clear on my advice, I would ski as many resorts as you want - but I would stay in one place. Beaver Creek is nice - but it's a bit too bling bling for me (the little fur coats and oh so perfect ski outfit crowd). Vail is a huge mountain - and a great mountain. It is also central for Beaver Creek and Copper - and do-able for Breckenridge and Keystone. If I only had 4 days to ski, I'd probably stay at Vail, ski twice there - once at Beaver Creek, and once at Copper.

Breck is a great place to ski - but I almost never go there on the weekends. It lost the title of most skiied mountain last year - but it gets very close to Vail and with about half the acreage - so it is often packed. If you do Breck - do it on Wednesday or Thursday. And this could be a day trip from Vail.
Sep 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. I am sure we will enjoy ourselves. i think that we are going to stay in vail, and ski 2 days there and wed or thurs ski at breck, but can't decide between breck, keystone or copper for wed or thurs.
Sep 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM

As a former instructor at "the Beav" - those that live in the area DO refer to it as The Beav or Beaver Creek. So good on ya...

What you didn't mention was skiing level and price range. As a fairly good skier, it would still take several days to ski MOST of Vail so staying there is the best option. I would check into lodging ASAP though. Presidents Week books out and usually requires a 7 nt Sat-Sat booking. Other weeks will be more flexible. If price and availability are tough, check out Avon and Edwards - cheaper but, of course, not as convenient.

I would definitely avoid the Summit resorts on Saturday. They will receive more of the Front Range day skiers and be busier. I prefer Breck over the others, but its more personal preference than anything.

As mentioned, Sweet Basil's is great. Larkspur and Terra Bistro are wonderful as well. All are expensive and all will require reservations. As they're in Vail Vilage in peak season, they will be full of tourists! If you have a car, Ti Amo in Eagle-Vail (1/2 way btwn Vail & Avon), The Saloon (tex-mex) or Minturn Country Club (not a CC, steak joint) in Minturn, Fiesta's in Edwards all meet the 'small local joints' criteria. Most of the nightlife, however, will be in Vail Village.

Traffic to EGE isn't a problem unless the weather is bad.
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM
LN

I vote for the Minturn Country Club. It was grreat the last time we were there!! Where else can you find a club in the country that lets you pick your own steak to grill?

We also didn't find it quite as high as some of the other mentioned restaurants.

We settled in Vail and then checked out Keystone and Breckinridge. But Vail offered more for us and it wasn't quite as high as Beaver Creek.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM

Vail local responding here: You could ski Vail all week and never ski the same run twice> why go anywhere else? But if you MUST you can take the bus over to The Beav (10 minutes away) OR since Vail Resorts also owns & opperates Breckenridge and Keystone your pass/ticket is good there & there is a shuttle (about 40 minutes) SO> Stay in one place! Who wants to do all that packing & re-packing!!For those small, fun, restaurants, most locals eat in Edwards (15 miles west of Vail) Fiesta's for Mexican can't be beat (the best Chile Rellenos!!) Lots more to choose from. Vail is famous for its fabulous dining. Fly into Eagle and avoid the I-70 Sunday "rush" altogether!!
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

Sato in Edwards is also excellent (and not too far from Fiesta's). I take my East Coast visitors there frequently, and they all rave. Enjoy your stay!
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:40 PM

p.s. Don't waste your time at Breck. Even when it's not packed with people, the winds are horrible. All you get is dust on crust. If I were going to stray from Vail/Beaver, I would do Copper.