Vacation with minimal walking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents' 40th anniversary is at the end of October and I want to book them a special trip as a gift. However, I am not sure where to book. They are seniors and can't do a lot of walking but enjoy sight seeing and food. I am looking to spend under $1K (really closer to $500 but flexible). They live in the Boston area if that helps with planning. I have a friend who works for an airline and might be able to give me buddy passes so a flight would be covered. Looking for something in the US for 3-5 days. Any suggestions?
If I can't find an affordable vacation I was thinking of getting them a nice hotel somewhere in New England since the foliage will be nice around that time.Any suggestions for that also welcome. Thank you!
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 06:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
How can we offer useful suggestions until we know if the airfare needs to be included in your budget or not? And do they drive, either a rental or their own car?
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Airfare does not need to be included and yes they drive or can get a rental car.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 07:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
$500-ish would be difficult during fall foliage season in New England unless it was just a couple of nights.

Have you considered a staycation right in Boston - you could book a nice hotel in the city and they could wine and dine.

Is this going to be a surprise? That might be problematic -- I'd involve them in the planning.

>>Airfare does not need to be included and yes they drive or can get a rental car.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 08:18 PM
J62

End of October is after foliage season in New England. We often travel to the Berkshires that time of year as hotels are cheaper.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 08:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -- I completely missed the 'end of October' bit and focused on the ' foliage will be nice around that time'. Yes -- bargains after the color is finished.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 01:04 AM

Would they be able to do a Newport mansion tour? A couple of years ago we did Beneath the Breakers which was fascinating and would have appealed to my husband who likes how things work (not fancy rooms) and how the servants lived in another mansion. One friend has trouble walking so I asked if we could skip the part of the tour that required climbing stairs. They very nicely took us upstairs in a very small elevator that I don't think the public was supposed to know about. It was an interesting tour but Beneath the Breakers was my favorite. That weekend Providence was having Waterfire which another friend wanted to see but it is very crowded and you can't always get a seat. On our way to Rhode Island we stopped for lunch at a Portuguese restaurant that was wonderful. The food tour of downtown Providence require walking but also include some sitting. It would depend on how much your parents can walk. I have recently started using hiking poles that are a big help.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM

If you have assurances about the airfare then I would be tempted to treat them to someplace that might not be as easy to get to by car as the immediate areas around Boston. What about someplace like New Orleans or Sarasota FL.? That time of year you should be able to get reasonable rates. Another great place for food is Austin TX.

Also I believe we might similar in age to your folks since we just had our 42nd wedding anniversary and I know we prefer an airbnb or apartment hotel these days-less pressure to get dressed and out for coffee first thing in the morning for one thing So maybe you can start to "suss out" some of what they would like in a dream weekend for instance-what would be their perfect 3 days etc. and whether they would like hotel versus guest house or rental, etc.

If they wouldn't mind the long flight then San Diego also comes to mind-down by the Bay or on Coronado Island it is flat and you can walk to some nice restaurants, etc.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wouldn't the 'free' air fare be on a particular airline which would then limit the destinations to where that airline flies?

Also, FYI, buddy passes are not a guarantee of flight. My SIL has been able to use buddy passes for several trips, but in the last two years the seats have become increasingly scarce (and you'd be looking for 2 on the same flight). She's had to wait up to 24 hours for availability. If you're already looking at a narrow time frame and budget, I don't think I'd go the buddy pass route, as appealing as it sounds. If your parents' return is delayed, there could be another hotel night, additional meals, etc.

I like janisj's staycation idea.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreeing with others that end of October is too late for your idea of a fall foliage trip.

With a $500 budget I really do think a "staycation" in a nice hotel near home is what you'll be able to afford.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:55 PM

I think it will be extremely hard to find a nice hotel in Boston for the price you are considering. Two nights at $500 would go a lot farther somewhere like the north shore
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
Also, FYI, buddy passes are not a guarantee of flight. My SIL has been able to use buddy passes for several trips, but in the last two years the seats have become increasingly scarce (and you'd be looking for 2 on the same flight). She's had to wait up to 24 hours for availability. If you're already looking at a narrow time frame and budget, I don't think I'd go the buddy pass route, as appealing as it sounds. If your parents' return is delayed, there could be another hotel night, additional meals, etc.
This is a very real consideration. I was given a "free" ticket to Ireland, getting there was fine, getting home on standby was a nightmare of agents sending me from Atlanta to LGA and back to Atlanta again & after a day, overnight & another day in NYC, never knowing for 3 days when I was going to get home. Fortunately I had friends in NY who helped but you don't want to do anything like that to your parents.

Old Aug 14th, 2019, 03:39 PM

I'd really drill down on what exactly the buddy passes entailed. If it's things like flying standby, not sitting together on the plane, etc. I'm not sure that's really the best "gift"?
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 02:10 AM

What about train or bus into NYC or DC, Philly or Baltimore with two nights in a hotel and tickets to a play or concert. There are many to choose from. Signature Theater in Arlington, VA is amazing. Everyman in Baltimore is top notch.
Williamsburg, VA.
Have they been to Savanah?
Love NOLA! Plus, it is easy to find your way around, just uneven sidewalks.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 02:28 AM

Not fall colors, but consider something like this.
https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=28859
This ship is highly praised for recent refurbishments.
Do you have a sibling to chip in?
One other idea. Do they have any family or friends who do not live near that they would like to visit? A gift of a trip to visit my Brother or Daughter or one of my cousins would be fantastic. Maybe they would like that too.
Do they like surprises, or would they rather be consulted? What would they actually like?
Perhaps they would rather do something with you.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 02:33 AM

End of October for foliage will probably have to be south. What about Rhode Island - I am guessing that like a lot of Boston area people they have never thought to vacation there. They could stay in Providence and I checked there are a number of day tour/trips to Newport or coastal areas. It is a nice ride and advantage of a tour is that they don't need to worry about parking and get dropped off close to entrance.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 06:37 AM

I like the Rhode Island idea and if they want a different experience they could take the ferry to Block Island for a day and use one of the many taxis from the ferry landing to tour the island ($40.00/car last I did it).
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 10:18 AM

I like the country inn in Vermont idea, even if it's past "color" for fall foliage. Or maybe a very short cruise?
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 10:56 AM

Could they possibly venture north to, say, Quebec City? Amtrak has some interesting & attractively-priced excursions by train, including from Boston:https://www.amtrakvacations.com/vaca...-city-getaway/
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suze
I'd really drill down on what exactly the buddy passes entailed. If it's things like flying standby, not sitting together on the plane, etc. I'm not sure that's really the best "gift"?
Yeah, you don't want to give a gift that ends up causing inconvenience and stress.

I think since you said that they drive one of these would be the way to go:

https://www.planetware.com/massachus...n-us-ma-74.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -