Reload this Page >

Vacation/Retirement in North Carolina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 06:53 PM
Jon

We are planning a family vacation in late August and are considering the Asheville area. Can anyone share any information on lodging or resorts for families in this area.
Also, we would consider North Carolina for a retirement destination in 3-5 years. Any suggestions on where in NC? What about nice inland lakes in NC?

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 03:06 AM
Donna Frost

8 years ago we considered a move to Asheville. The area is beautiful. It looked like the city was getting fixed up. People were very friendly and we learned that the area is very popular with retired folk. There is an active arts and crafts community. We only saw Lake Lure and just stayed in chain hotels because it was a quick visit and we wanted to be downtown. There were many lovely smaller towns in the area. Boone looked like a tourist area but was still nice and had a college. Right now the coast is muggy and in the 90's but I hear it's 10-20 degrees cooler in the mountains. I thought Cherokee was very interesting. We didn't go to the Biltmore Estate but have heard that's very interesting too. We are still considering the area for retirement. Good luck.

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 03:07 PM
michael

I am nowhere near retirement, but I went to business school in NC and like the state a lot. The best areas in my opinion that deserve checking out are:

Asheville
Chapel Hill
New Bern
Wilmington
Pinehurst (particularly if you are golfers

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 04:13 PM
Joan Graybill

Just a suggestion but Aiken South Carolina is a great place to live and to retire to. My husband and I moved here in April 1997 and think it is great...I was born in UK lived in Canada for 28 years and after my husband died married my US citizen..and moved here..so maybe I am a little biased, but I still think you should check it out!!

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 07:00 AM
Pat

My husband and I have been going to western North Carolina at least twice a year for the last 12 years. Like most everyone else, we fell in love with it, and purchased some property five years to eventually retire to. It is in the town of Brevard, which is approximately 25 miles south of Asheville, so you have the best of both worlds--small town atmosphere, close to a city with its amenities. YOu should spend a couple of days there and see what you think. The entrance to Pisgah Forest is in Brevard, and it's great for families. Looking Glass Falls, Sliding Glass Rock, the state fish hatchery are a few which come to mind. The ranger station there has a great 1.5 mile hike behind the building, which crosses a stream, has a small bridge, etc. My 6 and 3 year old grandchildren LOVED it. We went back the next day with a picnic lunch. One of the best family type resorts we have ever stayed in is right outside Brevard--a place called Earthshine Lodge. My kids still talk about it, and constantly ask when they can go back - it's like a great summer camp for the whole family - meals are phenomenal and the kids get to go out into the garden and help pick what will be cooked that night. Nature hikes, horseback riding, helping to tend the farm animals, campfires at night complete with stories and singing, a fishing pond, hammocks everywhere, all out in the most beautiful woods. You definitely should call and inquire. The Biltmore House and grounds is fantastic as well. Chimney Rock park is fun for kids. Contact me directly if you need/want more info. I'm a walking encyclopedia on the area!!

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 08:57 AM
Tom

Hi Pat,

Your description of western NC sounds great. My daughter and I enjoy biking, are there bike trails? and are they flat or is it very hilly.

We are in Canada so prices are important with a low priced Canadian $. Was the lodging expensive and did you camp or stay in a room, cabin....?

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 11:17 AM
Barbara

We recently visited the area and stayed at a wonderful inn called Windsong. The place is gorgeous and near the Smokies. The rooms are huge and immaculate - each one has a large jacuzzi tub. There is also a pool, tennis courts, and a delicious gourmet breakfast. Each room has a VCR (no tv) and the hosts have a large and kind of quirky collection of videos. The other main attraction is LLAMAS!! Its a working llama farm and you can go on a "trek" where a llama carries a gourmet lunch which you eat in the woods over a creek. You can get info on the web. The nearest town was Waynesville which was great - beginning to gentrify so there is a nice mix of old general stores and new artsy places. Good restaraunt there called Lomo Grill (I think). We were only there for a weekend, but it was marvelous and I can't wait to go back.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 08:45 AM
gina

Years ago stayed at Windsong Mtn Lodge which was a great B&B near ashville. They had llama treks into the smokies.The decor was beautiful and the breakfast was wonderful.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 08:50 AM
gina

Check out www.windsongbb.com

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 09:03 AM
sally

there are so many great towns in the north carolina mountains. to name a few that haven't been listed before---

Highlands
Cashiers
Blowing Rock
Linville (Grandfather Mountain)

all beautiful. hope the n.c. mountains don't fill up before i retire.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:09 PM
Sal

There are a couple of places in NC where we have spent a lot of time.

First of all, Pat gave you a great overview of Brevard. I'd like to add the the little college there has a wonderful music festival every year. OUr kids go to camp in Brevard love doing all the things Pat mentioned.

We have spent a lot of time in Blowing Rock (2 hours north of Asheville). It is a beautiful little village that strives to keep tourism in check. We love staying at Chetola. There are wonderful hikes, restaraunts, shopping, boating etc. in the area. Real estate is more reasonable outside of blowing r Rock, but can be found close by. The negative is the proximity to the closest airport, which is in Asheville.

Another area that I have visited since I was a child is the Cashiers area. The real estate can be very pricey, but down the mountain toward Sky Valley you can still find some very nice properties. Just up the mountain toward Brevard is Lake Toxaway. For a real treat stay at the Greystone Inn. There is a nice selection of condos to choose from at Fairfield Sapphire Valley in Cashiers. For the best price go through a local realtor that handles rentals. That area is abundant with hiking, beautiful scenery, restaurants and so on. You won't find as much as you will in Brevard or Blowing Rock, but it is a lovely spot. It is a two hour drive to Atlanta and Asheville.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:23 AM
Jenna

Another vote for New Bern/Wilmington. Beautiful coastal towns, much to do. We stay in Emerald Isle every year, which is a beautiful beach area south of those towns. My parents plan on retiring in that area, without a doubt (And they're only 40 now!!!)

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Damm

I use a pseudonym because we still have "friends" in N.C. But remember...
1)this is the state that continues to re-elect Jesse Helms to the Senate;
2)people care more who your great-grandfather was than who you are;
3)if you weren't born south of the Mason-Dixon line, you will live in lonely ostracism;
4)be careful where you go at night lest some of the Good Ole Boys in bedsheets stop your car and check you out.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:01 PM
Anonymous

In response to Damn [email protected]: to use a common Southern expression, bless his heart -- he really has no idea what he's talking about.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 02:27 PM
Deb

Thank you anon for your response to Damn Yankee...He has absolutely no clue. I have lived all over the state of NC...I have a college education...my friends are well educated people who are not rednecks. I adore the NC mountains, and the people there are extremely friendly. I had a great experience growing up there. It's ignorant people like Damn Yankee that ruin this post. People who don't know what the hell they're talking about.