Search

Vacation Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:42 AM
bosco

Vacation Help!!!

Hi everyone. This is my first time to this board. I'm usually over on the caribbean board. Hoping someone can help offer some advice. I'm looking to plan an exotic vacation for my husband and I for 2005 - more of a once in a lifetime trip. We've been to the caribbean (anguilla and antigua) and Bermuda but wanted to go someplace different. Looking for exotic location, beautiful beaches, lots of water activities, friendly people and lush landscape. My husband is 53 and I'm 36, so we don't want someplace that is overrun by young kids. Our budget is about $10,000 including airfare from Upstate New York. We were looking into the Tahitian islands (specifically Moorea, Bora Bora and Taha'a)but are open to any options that would fit the bill. Wondering if we should consider Hawaii (specifically Maui or Kauai). We typically like small, intimate resorts with a personal atmosphere over the mega resorts. Can we find this in Hawaii? Looks like most of the nice, upscale places are large resort chains. Can anyone recommend places to stay in Hawaii that are most personal and offer more of the unique Hawaiian culture? Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Also, is Hawaii too overcrowded?

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a look at Kona Village Resort on the Big Island. I've never stayed there, but have heard it's amazing. It is quite pricy but it sounds as if you've got a budget that could handle it. Their website is konavillage.com.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Bosco,

Thailand. Specifically the Phi Phi islands. If you spend a few days on the islands rather than take a day trip you will not be disappointed. With a $10K budget you should have no trouble. I suggest gate1travel.com for airfare.

Combine the Phi Phis with a couple days in Phuket (only so you can appreciate the solitude of the Phi Phis that much more) to satisfy you beach requirement. I would then spend time in the Northern region around Chang Mai for the culture of the country.

All of this has been talked to death on the Asia board, but I think you budget affords you two a wonderful two or three weeks in Thailand. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:42 AM
bosco

Thanks for replies. We will check out the Kona Resort but are more interested in either Maui or Kauai. Does anyone know of a small place with a more Hawaiian feel that would be appropriate in either Maui or Kauai? The only options I've come up with are Hotel Hana and the Kapalua Bay hotel. Hotel Hana looks great but not sure if it's too far away from things. Also noticed it;s not on a beach. Any thoughts?

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM
bonniebroad

Bosco, some of the resorts on the Big Island have the MOST Hawaiian feel! I love all the islands ... Some of the things that you say you want .... well, I think you can forget about Hotel Hana Maui because they shuttle you back and forth to a beach. It is very lush and green there, but very quiet. Different people have different opinions about what is exotic, what is overcrowded???? Hawaii is most crowded during the Christmas holidays, and then in June/July/August, you can find lots of kids at some resorts. You might like the Princeville Resort on the north shore of Kauai during the May to October time period. There's no place more lush & green, or with more beautiful beaches. Plenty of water activities, and wonderful swimming on the north shore beaches during those *summer* months. The Princeville Resort is not a small, intimate resort but is wonderful! One of the truly most Hawaiian resorts is the Outrigger Waikoloa on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island (now Marriott is part of the name...can't remember exact name) on *A* Bay........... an incredible beach. One of my favorite places to stay ........... moderate upscale, I'd call it, as compared to the other luxury resorts up that way. Good luck with your decision!

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:09 AM
bonniebroad

bosco, if you go to *princeville.com* and explore that site, you can get a good idea of what Princeville is like, if you should be interested!

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Bosco,

I know Hawaii is beautiful but honestly when I think of Once in a lifetime trip, I wouldn't really think Hawaii. For what you have described, French Polynesia definitly fits the bill. It's farther away so for most people it can really be once in a lifetime trip. It's lush, beautiful, quiet and I don't really recall seeing any kids on our stay. Definitly consider staying on Moorea and Bora Bora. We did a day trip to Moorea and checked out Sofitel Ia Ora Resort. It was amazing!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:19 PM
cd

French Polynesia is lush, superb scenery and for the most part quite. It's like you've gone back in time. I would also recommend Moorea and Bora Bora with a "over the water" bungalow. You can swim from your front porch. Very romantic.