Reload this Page >

vacation dilemma - s. dakota or san francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:20 AM
xx

We are torn between the 2. Any comments. My son is 12 and first wanted S. Dakota area (rushmore, crazy horse, black hills) then changed mind to San Francisco because 1) Tony Hawk 4 game (one area is Alcatraz) 2) watched the movie the Rock.

We will be going by Amtrak from Phila to either place.

Any persuasive votes for either

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:22 AM
xcx

It depends: what movie will your son see next week?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM
sj

South Dakota.

More lasting memories for your 12-yr-old in case he never returns there. Badlands, Crazy Horse, Jewel Cave &/or Wind Cave, Mount Rushmore, Black Hills, etc.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:41 AM
xxxx

South Dakota. He's more likely to see San Francisco as an adult. It's tougher to get to a more remote location like SD, when you're working and only have 2 weeks vacation.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:02 PM
gc

I was about to fire off a note that said San Francisco, without a question, until xxxx's thoughtful comment.

You need to try to get to SD, where the opportunity to get to SFO will pop up from time to time.

However, I'd prepare thoroughly...We found SD a bit cheesy in places.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:04 PM
joebob

what about Tattooine or the dagobah system? How about New Zealand?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Paul Rabe

Alcatraz in reality is nothing like the movie "The Rock." Unless you have an historical interest in the place, it's pretty dreary and depressing -- after all, it WAS a prison, not a nightclub.

The attractions of San Francisco would be better appreciated by an adult; the desolate beauty of the Badlands NP and the touristy stuff in the Black Hills would be better suited for your twelve year old.

Suggestion -- have your kid watch "Close Encounters" -- then he'll want to see Devil's Tower, which is a nice day trip from the Black Hills.

One catch -- I checked Amtrak.Com, and it doesn't seem to go to South Dakota. You'll have to rent a car at some stop along the way and drive about a day.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:55 PM
kkj

Tough call. Former South Dakotan here who happens to love San Francisco. I would pick South Dakota as it is highly likely that your son will make it to San Francisco some day. However, if you are going to go by Amtrak you will have problems as the train doesn't even go to or through South Dakota. There is lots to do in the hills with kids and I think your son would have a good time.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 02:00 PM
To Be

I suggest renting Rocky for the little tyke and going to Philadelphia.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:58 PM
hello

They're departing from Philadelphia, To Be.
So I'm guessing they've been to Philly before.

(Not Mr. Reading Comprehension in school, now were we?)

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:19 AM
xxx

Paul you are right. Amtrak does not go to South Dakota. This is what my thoughts were:

Phila to Chicago.

Chicago to Denver - get in (if not late, around 8:30 am). Tour Denver, Pikes Peak, Rocky Mountain National Park

Rent car drive approx. 5 hrs to South Dakota
as another poster said see Wind and Jewel Caves, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills, BadLands, Mommouth Site, etc.
(could do these with Grey Line or J&L Tours or drive self). Possibly staying in Custer State Park relaxing, buffalo safari and
chuckwagon dinner.

Maybe driving to Devils Tower then back to Denver. for train home. Or more nuts going over to Yellowstone and Tetons and
driving to Salt Lake approx. 4 hr for train home.

Train leaves Denver in evening. maybe staying overnight and touring Valley of Gods next day. Heading home

San Francisco option - Train is direct, yes, but more nights on train. More time off work! I guess I've not researched San
Francisco well enough to have enough things to do without living on the train. If we chose to go anywhere from San Franciso it
is atleast another night on the train. LA or Portland or Seattle! Although the train ride is suppose to be absolutely beautiful
between Salt Lake and San Francisco and up and down the Calif coast!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Scrooge

10 year old don't think like adults......take him to DisneyLand. Heck, he'll even get to see the Matterhorn!

Just like the fools that take toddlers on vacations. All they remember is that they were schlepped from one site to another. They really don't know the difference from a Koi pond and an olympic size pool.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Scrooge

12 year old don't think like adults......take him to DisneyLand. Heck, he'll even get to see the Matterhorn!

Just like the fools that take toddlers on vacations. All they remember is that they were schlepped from one site to another. They really don't know the difference from a Koi pond and an olympic size pool.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 08:10 AM
XXX

TTT

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:17 AM
MMS

Just a note: You can tour Rocky Moutain National Park OR Pikes Peak in one day but there is no way to do them both. From DIA to Colorado Springs is a 1+ hour drive Southwest depending on traffic. From Colorado Springs to the top of Pikes Peak is a two hour drive (One way)- but the Cog Railway is the best way to the top. You need reservations for the Cog Railway. I don't remember how long the round trip is. Rocky Mountain National Park is two hours Northwest of Denver. YOu can easily spend a whole day in both places. The Garden of the Gods is nice but not spectacular - you can easily drive through it on the way to Manitou Springs and Pikes Peak.

Also - Just for info it is about a 7 hour drive from Denver to Mt. Rushmore.