V-Day Dinner in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for an Italian reastaurant (or mexican, but less likely to find what i want there) that has quiet booths and candle light dinners. I want something very romantic for my boyfriend and I for valentines day, but well priced ($15-20 per plate). Can you think of any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Valentine's Day is in T-minus 5 days, and it's on a weekend. I suspect your time would probably be best spent by making a few phone calls to see if there's even anything available at a couple restaurants in your price range....your research may well be moot if all the places you'd like to go are booked up.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM
CalgirlSusan

I can think of nothing less romantic that knowing my lover or boyfriend never thought about Valentine's day until 5 days before. Unless it would be having to plan my own dinner because he still never thought about it.
It is too late for much of anything special.

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Why not plan a picnic? Go to a nice market, pick up some wine, cheese, fruit, bread, etc, and watch the sunset in a park along the coast while you nibble. Sounds romantic to me...
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:10 PM

Well, in an attempt to bail you out on this one...you probably are going to have trouble booking anywhere in the city especially for that price. I'd suggest you either try a tour of North Beach with stops at some of the wonderful haunts(City Lights, Vesuvio,
Tosca) after dinner at your place..or start out early with a walk around North Beach with drinks somewhere and a walk up the Filbert Steps.Followed by a dinner at your house which you could assemble-like pasta with pesto, a salad and grilled sausages-this can be easily done. Failing the know how wander (pre Valentines dinner over to Vivande on Fillmore and ask them to assemble a meal for you) get a good reasonable bottle of chianti (it can be done for under $20 and walk across the street from Vivande to D&M and ask their advice.)Light some candles and get the Italian Love SOngs CD by Cecelia Bartoli to play at dinner and perhaps give your loved one as a token of the evening. I'd suggest pastries from La Victoria (cannolis) or, for one stop shopping try the biscotti from Vivande, but perhaps someone is more in the know regarding Italian bakeries. Rent a great Italian movie..like Cinema Paradiso or Il Postino(especially Il Postino) and sip
vin santo with those biscotti. Voila..Senor..it will be as romantic as an evening beneath the stars in Venice.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Pardon..I meant senora..or senorita.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:12 PM

And..while not romantic..dinner at the counter at Original Joe's with a walk around NB by starlight can be pretty great.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:26 AM

chowchow -- I'm in the complete opposite problem you are across the country here in Phila, however we may both end up doing the same thing -- eating in!

First -- I think its so romantic you are trying to plan something special, even though it may be a little too late. However, I understand reasonings for being too late, (ie. busy schedule, money issues, etc), so let's do our best to make a romantic evening for you, which I'm sure you'll have with or without going out.

I would still make an attempt to call restaurants to see if you can get a table -- although you will probably get in very early or very late. My husband and I once had a 10pm reservation and had the most fun going out that late.

If you have no luck -- have an indoor picnic with your favorite food. You can even try to do take-out at your favorite restaurant (which we do every New Year's Eve). 2 benefits: no drinking & driving, and no cooking!

If that doesn't work, 3rd option is to follow advice already given by Jocelyn & PamSF -- buy your own food and find the most romantic setting around. It can be much cheaper too!

Good luck!