Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Utah skiing with family--does this place exist?

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it looks like our family (Mom, Dad, kids aged 3 and 5) will ski Utah for Spring Break in late March. I'm trying to find the best resort/town for our family. Here's what we'd ideally have:

A ski school that will take my little guy, who will turn 4 in April. (I don't want to have to fib in front of the kids, so is there a place that will take 3 year olds?)

Easy, kid-friendly slopes, but also some black runs for Daddy.

Ski in/ski out accomodations. Hotel, lodge, B&B, cabin, condo, it doesn't really matter. But it would be nice to have a snowy play area right outside the door to build snowmen and throw snowballs.

At first it looked like Sundance was perfect, but the few accomodations I can find seem pretty expensive. I'd like to keep it under $200/night if possible.

Can you help me?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM

I doubt you will find ski in-ski out accommodations anywhere for under $200. Park City has a good shuttle bus system to all the ski areas. I think any of the 3 in town areas- Park City, Deer Valley, Canyons- would suit your skiing needs. You might want to look into condo rentals on sites like VRBO, etc.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the vrbo tip. I found some nice condos in Solitude for close to our budget--we may have to stretch a little. Is there public transportation to Solitude from the SLC airport? It would be nice to not rent a car.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM

There is public transportation from the airport to Solitude, but I wouldn't recommend it for you. I would want a car if I were staying at Solitude. You'll probably want to stop at a grocery store in Salt Lake before heading up the canyon. The nice thing about a condo is not having to go out for every meal.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Barbara. Yea, I'm coming to the conclusion that we will need a car, especially since I'd like for us to take the Heber Valley train.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:28 PM

Check the ski resorts' websites for the age requirement for kids' ski school. It's usually 3 years old and potty trained although there are a few places where it's 4.