Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Utah/Grand Canyon National Park Circle Tour.. 47 days to go..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have planned a National Park Circle tour with the help of many on this forum. I have only been to Colorado, so seeing this part of the country, and the Grand Canyon finally............ I'm so excited, and have my countdown going......
Flying into Vegas, our first destination is the Desert Pearl Inn in Zion for 2 nights, we have a 4-1/2 hour ATV trip scheduled near St. George. One day to wing it so to speak.....

Then onto Bryce at Ruby's Inn for 2 nights with an hour and 1/2 horseback ride scheduled there and one day with no set plans......

Then onto the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for one night, staying at the Grand Canyon Lodge at the North Rim. The next day we spend in Page, Az on a 5 hour float trip on the Colorado River before we end up that night at the South Rim at El Tovar for the night.

Back to Vegas for 2 nights at the Tropicana...

Can't wait. Any last minute must see's for us????? How about restaurants????

I will definately post upon our return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:16 AM

The Desert Pearl in Zion is great. We had a very good meal at the Bit and Spur. Get a reservation, and if the weather is good, ask for a table on the front patio, where you can see the sun set behind the hills. Find out what ranger hikes they have, and take one. Well worth it. We also hiked the Narrows - we walked in the water for about an hour and a half up then back. I think it might be worth renting the water shoes they have in town to do it; I had blisters from that wet walk in my hiking boots. I would definitely do it again. Check with the rangers before you do it. We couldn't have gone the next day, it rained, and there were flash flood concerns. The road from Zion to Bryce has a great place to stop for a short hike just after you get through the tunnel. Well worth it. I think its only a mile or so to the top. We got to Bryce in time for a short walk around the rim, sunset, then dinner at the lodge (beautiful room, decent wine list, not great food, breakfast was better). We got up at sunrise to watch Bryce canyon colors come to life, went to breakfast, checked out, then hiked down into the Canyon. It was fabulously beautiful. (Although it will be hot when you go, we went in October, so that wasn't an issue). We spent one night at Lake Powell, and took a half day float trip down Glen Canyon. Also amazing. Then we drove to the South Rim, (arriving after dark), and stayed at El Tovar. Eat a meal there. We were supposed to spend the next night at Phantom Ranch, but the rain had washed the trails out. We did get to do a half-day mule ride (we got on the wait list and made it). Really an amazing thing to do, even if you don't get the mules, try to hike down a bit if you can. The Rim walk was great - we took the shuttle up to Hermits Rest and walked part way down, shuttled to another point down, walked back to the lodge. We also did a helicopter tour, which was pretty neat. We couldn't get another night at the Canyon (since we had planned on Phantom Ranch), so we went to Vegas a day early. I can't say I need to go back, although breakfast at Bouchon and lunch at Olives was the hightlight Enjoy!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:57 AM

The day you leave the N. Rim, do the float trip and arrive at the S. Rim is going to be ONE LONG DAY!

You better make sure you get up very early that morning to make it to Page on time! You will probably be driving into the S. Rim after dark...what a shame you will be missing some great scenic view points.

If it were my trip, I'd cancel the N. Rim and go to Page for a night.

Utahtea
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM

I agree with Utahtea, skip the noth rim.
We visited both rims, and the north rim does not compare with the south rim. We stopped at the north side on the way to Zion, and the time could have been better spent at Zion, Bryce or on the way to Monument Valley.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM

We did a similar trip last August. Can't comment on North Rim because we didn't do it.

You mention the 1 1/2 trail ride. Couldn't figure out if you meant Rudy's trail ride or the one in the Park. We did the one in the park and it was the highlight of our trip. Others here have said that the Ruby's one only gets you to the Rim of Bryce but never goes in it. I would switch if I could.

None of the restaurants on our trip were outstanding. We were disappointed in Bit & Spur since many had said it was so good. It was o.k. Townspeople told us it had gone downhill in the last year or so.

El Tovar was our favorite dining experience. Great atmosphere and food was quite good.

Have a fabulous trip. You will!