Search

USS Arizona

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2000, 06:51 PM
David

USS Arizona

What is the wait, crowds lines, etc. like on weekday in June? Our dilemma is that we arrive on Oahu around 12:30 pm (Wed)and leave for Kona at 5:30 pm (Thurs). Ideally we want to take in USS Arizona on Wed and spend most of Thursday at Hanauma Bay.Is it feasible or realistic to get off the plane head straight to the USS Arizona (approx 2:00?) and get to go out to the memorial? I know the last boat leaves at 3:00 I'm just unsure of the crowds, lines etc.

Old May 4th, 2000, 07:04 PM
Paul

It all depends on the moment. I've been there a few times and never had to wait more than about 30 minutes. If there happens to be a large tour group, you would be out of luck. I think its worth the chance. Even it you don't quite make it out there, the NPS has a very good museum there. I would not pass thru O'ahu and miss this! It shows the tremendous sacrifice that so many have made to ensure our freedom.
Good luck.
Paul

Old May 4th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Lani

David,

You're cutting it real fine! I don't know if you'll be able to get in line in time to go out by 3 PM - I doubt it! I think you're making the mistake of giving yourself too little time on Oahu. It's a wonderful island with so much to offer. Maybe you could give it at least one more night?

Old May 4th, 2000, 07:33 PM
Anna

David,
We visited the Arizona on a Sunday in April of this year.

I would recommend going to the Arizona Memorial the first thing Thursday morning. First of all you'll probably be up early due to jet lag. At 7:30 AM the visitor's center opens and tickets are handed out for the movie presentation and the boat to the memorial. At 8:00 those in the first group, watch the movie and then are taken to the memorial. This gives you half an hour to look around at the different displays in the museum. We were back from the memorial by 9:15, so technically you could be on your way to Hanauma Bay by 9:30.

If you do decide to do it on Wednesday, Frommer's book says plan to arrive at the visitor's center no later than 1:30PM and to allow 4 hours to visit the memorial. If I were you, I'd spend my first day relaxing on Waikiki Beach and do Pearl Harbor and Hanauma Bay on your second day.

Old May 4th, 2000, 07:33 PM
tweedy

David when we were there a few years ago there was no line at all, so I would suggest taking a chance and go when you get there. It is really worth the time.

The trip over to the memorial, people were talking and taking in the sites but as you get out of the boat and walk across the deck you realize just how literrally the ship was blown up. Everyone in our tour stopped talking and got a bit teary to realize that all those men were lost. The ship is sitting on the bottom and I think it sunk in only 30 feet or so of water.
There was still an oil slick over the ship. It really makes everyone stop and really think.

That and the "Punch Bowl" are worth the trip.

tweedy

Old May 6th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Paul

Ditto on the Punchbowl comment. Hanauma Bay is cool, but your time at these two sites is well worth it!
Paul