Using "Open Table"

Jan 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Using "Open Table"

Although I have used Open Table before, I never really paid attention to the points.
Does anyone have experience using the points towards $ off on meals - is it worth it?? Or, are the points hard to use??

Looking to save a buck in this stinkin' economy
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Is it worth it? Of course FREE food is worth it!

I've been collecting points for years and have redeemed them a number of times. I've only had one issue using my certificate at a restaurant in Miami, and that's because the restaurant was new to Open Table and didn't really understand it. Otherwise, I've never had an issue redeeming my tickets. Just redeem them online, and Open Table will send you a certificate to use. When the bill comes, hand over the certificate and any additional funds.

Totally easy.
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I agree - free food is worth it, but if it's like getting that "free" flight on the airlines....forgettaboutit!!
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I use Open Table more for the convenience than the points. Though, the points do add up quickly, expecially with 1,000 point reservations.

Do wait to request your check if you don't plan to use it right away, because the checks expire.
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
yk

EmilyC - Basically, once you have accumulated enough points (I think 2000 points is the minimum), you can redeem the points for an OpenTable cheque. 2000 points = $20 check, and so on.

It can take several weeks for you to get the actual cheque by mail, and when you dine at an OpenTable restaurant, you can use the cheque to pay for part of your meal.

I have done this several times and never had a problem. The major downside is the several weeks' delay from request to getting the cheque in hand. i think the cheques also expire 3 months from issue. OTOH, OpenTable points expire if there's no account activity in 1 year.
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM

i use opentable for the convenience,not really because of the points. But many of my favorite restaurants are available, so sometimes we'll make a reservation even when we are just about to head out, so its just 1/2 hour in advance. So when I get the 2000 points, its no big deal to collect the check and use it the next time we go out. I've never had any place give me the least issue about using the check. There are no blackouts, no restrictions. Its good at any opentable restaurant.

Anybody else tried the opentable app for the iPhone? it's pretty cool. Makes use of the gps, and gives you the 20 restaurants closest to your current location that have available reservations.
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Opentable is the BEST! I do that 1/2 hour before leaving thing often. So many places now are doing 1000 points for 6 pm dinners. There was a time when I was trying to get a place in Chicago and kept getting a busy signal, so my hubby got on opentable from our home computer and booked it! LOL!

I have discovered many new restaurants through them and they conveniently link you to the restaurant's website and menu. Points are easy to redeem. Only one time did I have a problem with a place in NYC being closed, but they sent me a bunch of consolation points.
Jan 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM

I really like Open Table; I used it to scope out restaurants when traveling and came up with some real winners.

We redeemed a $100 check a while back--I gave it to my son an his gf at the time. Mostly I used it for convenience like others have mentioned but the points are an extra bonus. They also give lots of great info on the restaurants and link to the websites, menus, maps, etc.
Jan 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM

EmilyC; if you are looking to save a buck what is not to like about the $20 check, good for 3 mos. @ any
restaurant in any city in their service? Think of it as your resto gratuity being gratis.

As others have noted, (2) 1000 points reservs. will warrant one check. If you have seen NeoPatrick's reports of a month in NYC, he regularly dines after the theatre when many restos have the 1000 points. SO he comes w/points and leaves with more points.

A great idea!