Useof Walgreens phone card in Italy

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Useof Walgreens phone card in Italy

I'm leaving for Italy tomorrow and want to use my Walgreens phonecard -I have lots of minutes on it and unfortunately the card is about to expire(it's good for only 1 year after date of sale)-I called customer service twice at Walgreens and got 2 different answers-the 1st rep said dial 1-866-775-1597-then my pin then the US # I want to reach-cost is 22cents per min-calls within Italy would cost18 cents per min-
The other rep said dial 800(no 1 first)78-5321, then my pin then the US/or Italian #- in either case the call would cost 40 cents per min--If anyone out there has any experience with these cards please help-and many thanks
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Hi chi, I just love calling companies and getting two different answers, so frustrating. I assume there are no instructions on the back of the card. Have you checked their website on the slight chance you can find some information.

I would take the card and both set of instructions to Italy with me and see what is what. If you need to buy a phone card in Italy you can buy one usually at a Tabacchi (Tobacco) store. I believe you can buy one for 5€ which is good for one hour of talking time to the US. Best wishes and have a wonderful time in Italy.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly-I meant to post this on the "Europe" forum-oh well!-Time is short and I'm leaving tomorrow on Alitalia from OHARE-If they don't lose my luggage and they arrive on time I'll be very happy-
I did try the website about the phonecard but didn't find any information-Ciao
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM

If you buy a card there at any tobacco shop etc. you can talk for - 3 cents a minue! 200 minutes for five Euros, to the US etc. - 3 cents a minute!

If you want to use up the Walgreen card, take it with you and try it - if it works, fine, use it up, if not, toss it and go for the 5-Euro deal.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Wow, I wish my daughters had this info this past summer when they went to Italy. They purchased a $20 phone card from their US travel agent (the university student hostel kind). Well the price for using it on a payphone was WAY higher than a land line (who has access to a regular phone while overseas?). Good advice that I will remember!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM

joan and everyone else. If staying at a hotel do check with the hotel to see what charges if any they will charge if you call using a prepaid phone call be it purchased in the US or in Italy.
My friends that purchase the card in Italy use their land phone from their houses. I have heard that one gets less minutes if you using a payphone. Again if staying at a hotel do find out the hotel charges..some charge an amount and some do not. Best regards.