Search

USA Trip planning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA Trip planning

Hi,

Just wondering what the best way is to visit these places. My wife and I are planning for a 25 days tour to USA next year June. First fly to New York, train to New Jersey, local 2 days bus tour to Washington DC & Nigra falls, back to New York, Then fly to Las Vegas, bus to Los Angeles, bus to San Francisco, finally fly back from Los Angeles.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 09:46 AM

How much time do you have in NYC?

Where in New Jersey to you plan to visit? And how much time do you have? That will help with advice there.

Regarding your bus tour to DC and Niagra Falls. I would rethink that. These places are very far apart and you cannot see both in 2 days. Plus, you don't need a tour for Washington DC.

To visit Washington DC, you can take the train from NYC or New Jersey to Washington DC. DC is very easy to see on your own - many of the sights, museums, and monuments are within easy walking distance of one another and the Metro is fairly comprehensive and easy to use. Just get a hotel near a Metro stop and you are set. Spent at least 2 full days in DC. And you don't need to return to NYC to to fly to LV - you can fly directly from DC, which will save you some travel time.

For your travel from LV to LA and from LA to SF, I would fly rather than take the bus. There are lots of flights between these cities - check Southwest Airlines for good fares. Flights are quick, bus takes ages and long-distance bus travel in the US isn't really very comfortable. And , if you can fly home from from San Francisco rather than LA, you'll save yourselves some travel time.

Another option - if you can drive and have the time, the drive from LA to SF is very scenic. It is best done with at least 2 overnights between the 2 cities. There is a lot to see along the way.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 11:11 AM

If at all possible, try and rent a car to drive between LA and SF, you will still have to backtrack around the Mud Creek slide on Hwy 101 to get to Monterey but the scenery is so beautiful there.
If driving is not possible, then fly rather than take the bus (whatever you do, avoid Greyhound buses, last refuge of no hopers). I think Megabus travels both LV-LA and LA-SF.
Neither the bus or Amtrak train will travel the scenic route.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 04:58 PM
kja

november_moon has given you some great advice about your NY - DC segment. I second the input to train from NYC to DC, spend 2 or 3 days in DC (depending on your interests), and then fly from DC onwards. Although you may have specific reasons to visit New Jersey, it doesn't have the same appeal to most travelers as the other places you mention and might be worth re-thinking.

Niagara Falls are a LONG way from NYC -- check rome2rio.com to see your transportation options. If it is a high priority for you, consider re-routing to arrive in DC, train to NYC, whatever to Niagara Falls, flight from Buffalo onward....

rome2rio.com is a resource you might want to consult for your other connections, too -- use it to identify the links to the transportation companies that offer the services of in interest. Definitely follow through on those links, as rome2rio is not sensitive to seasonal variation in transportation schedules.

Good luck!
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 05:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
After visiting Niagara Falls, take the Amtrak Lake Shore Limited overnight from Buffalo to Chicago. See Chicago for a day or 2 and then fly to the west (Las Vegas or Los Angeles) from Chicago.
Riding a train is always nicer than riding on a bus IMO.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 05:43 PM
kja

And if you follow tomfuller's advice, consider giving Chicago more than just a day or two -- it is, IMO, a delightful city!
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 03:20 AM

There's a lot I don't understand about the itinerary.

>>. First fly to New York, train to New Jersey, local 2 days bus tour to Washington DC & Nigra falls, back to New York> Then fly to Las Vegas, bus to Los Angeles, bus to San Francisco, finally fly back from Los Angeles.