Search

USA for 4 months

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 02:16 AM
Bianca Szabo

USA for 4 months

Hi,

My husband to be and I are honeymooning in the USA for 4 months beginning mid April 2002. (we are from Melbourne Australia)

We are starting our trip in Chicago, Illinois and will travel Southish by car until we reach New Orleans. We will then drive to Miami, Florida and travel north to DC where we will travel to NYC. From here we are heading out to Niagra Falls and will be going to Toronto Canada before we make our way back to Chicago to drop the car off.
We will then fly out from Chicago to Seattle where we we are planning to take 5-6 weeks to get to LA by car travelling via the coast and inland as far as Salt Lake city.

We have done a lot of research for this trip (and have information overload for it) but I am keen to get some advice,tips etc from people who have already done this or are a resident of one of the places we may stop at.

Any assistance in regards to budget accommodation, dining experiences, places of interest, car hire etc would be appreciated to make this a trip of a lifetime for us.

Thanks for your time.....

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:11 AM
rqf

Do you have plans to visit national parks on the western portion of your trip? If they are in your plans you will get information on the best route to follow.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Donna F

A lot of restaurants offer a less expensive menu at lunch. Many budget hotels have a free breakfast now which can be a fairly decent variety of cold cereals, pastries, juice and coffee or an icky horrible coffee and even worse store bought donuts. Check ahead to see what the motel/hotel's definition of breakfast is. Consider an insulated lunch bag and bringing your own breakfast or supper items. In large cities there are some wonderful grocery stores where you can buy hot food, salads and sandwiches. When traveling I has always liked exploring grocery stores because they vary by region. Along the Carolina coasts the groceries have an amazing variety of flours and batter mixes for fish. I've always liked regional cookbooks as souveniers. They are usually printed by a church or social organization as a fund raiser. Sometimes they contain interesting historical stories. You might look for special herb/spice mixtures to go along with the cookbooks. Read the local newspapers, in fact, a quiet spot for gathering information for free will be local libraries. Some areas have free newspapers that are stacked near the door at grocery stores. These can be a good source of local information about events and interesting places.
Be sure to visit Charleston, SC and drive the Skyline drive thru North Carolina and Virginia even though it is out of your way getting to DC. It is probably one of the most beautiful drives in the US. We stayed at the Inn at Queen Anne in Seattle. It was a little shabby but in a good residential area and had a little kitchenette. We could get downtown by walking a few blocks and taking the monorail. But it would be cheaper to stay outside of town and use public transportation. You will get cheaper hotel rates in cities on weekends than during the week.
Have a great trip. What an amazing adventure you will have!

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:37 AM
chuck

Bianca,

Donna F has some good suggestions above. However, you definitely need to decide whether to take a coastal route through North Carolina and Virginia or a mountain route. Since you are driving up from Florida and will see quite a bit of the coast, I suggest the mountain route. Donna F referred to the scenic drive through North Carolina and Virginia as Skyline drive; however, I believe it is only called Skyline drive in parts of Virginia. In the North Carolina mountains it is referred to as the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I suggest you drive along the coast from Florida to Charleston SC. And definitely spend some time in the historic district in Charleston (called the Battery). From Charleston take I-26 to Asheville NC. That is where you will pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway and head north into Virginia. Be aware that the BRP is a scenic and slow route, but it is definitely worth the extra drive time. You may want to see the Biltmore House in Asheville--it's a monster of a house, with beautiful gardens. In Virginia, you could visit the Luray Caverns, Monticello, and Mt Vernon on your way to DC.

Have a great time!

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Jeanette

Dear Bianca, Sounds like a fabulous honeymoon. When you are traveling from Toronto to Chicago try to hit some Michigan in spring. This drive could be dynamite with a few out of the way excursions. It will be much more varied than the trip south from Chicago.
One of the most romantic and fun places in Michigan that may be a little out of the way but worth it- a small B&B in Mendon Michigan. It was the 1/2 way point between Detroit and Chicago on the old plank road route. The innkeepers are wonderful and the house is vintage 1853-73. He will cook you a breakfast that you will remember. The innkeepers will have an accent you will recognize. You would love it. It's right on the St. Joe River and you can get a romantic canoe ride also and picnic. Mendon is in Amish country and you can be taken to an Amish dinner, if you want. It's a good sample of great mid-western style home cooking. Buggy rides are romantic too.

Have a wonderful trip.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:22 AM
abc

When you visit Niagara Falls, stay on the Canadian side, but make sure to view the falls from the American side as well. From the American side, you can stand at the railing right where the water falls over the edge. Also, you can view the upper rapids. From the Canadian side, you view the falls in its entirety from a short distance. Your money will go a lot farther in Canada, so it's best to get a hotel there. Have fun.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:18 PM
vicki

If you enjoy the outdoors you may want to consider this; For around $100 at Wal-Mart you can buy a queen size air mattress, 2 sleeping bags and a tent. Then you could take advantage of all the great campgrounds on the Western part of your trip. Washington, Oregon and Idaho as well as Northern California are just loaded with them, especially along the coastal hi-way and in the areas around any National Park. Some are really nice with shower facilities and everything. The Oregon state park system has a great website where you can look at the campground maps and make reservations. Any time after the end of May it should be warm enough to camp. You may not want to do it every night but it would be a fun change from motels all the time and a great way to stretch your budget. After your trip is over if you don't want to take them home you could donate them to a charity thrift store.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:11 PM
T.M.

Bianca, what a wonderful honeymoon!

Does your future husband have a single brother I could meet? ;-)

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Bianca Szabo

Hi TM,

When I read your response it made me chuckle......
Unfortunately his brother is not single but a pretty good catch as well. (or so I am told by his girlfriend)

Good luck with your partner hunting.....

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Fred Judson

Bianca,

Some of the best parts of the state are not on your itinerary (my opinion). The four corners area of Colorado, Utah, AZ, and NM can be great. If you do pass through western Colorado my wife and I would be happy to put you up if only for a hot shower and laundry. We do know this part of the country well and would be happy to show you around or at least give some local advice. We live in Palisade, CO (Grand Junction) and are close to Moab and the high country of Colorado. We are planning 5 weeks in your country for our 5th wedding anniversary in 2004.

Cheers,

Fred and Andrea Judson

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Stephanie P.

Bianca S.:

I believe you have a good itinerary. I would suggest, while on your way to Niagara Falls (you'll probably be traveling 81 N, stop in mid-Pennsylvania, Lancaster, and see the Pennsylvania Dutch and/or HersheyPark (if it's open that early). I'd tell you to not rush and see as much as possible but be leasure-like and take in small towns along the way.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 04:28 AM
T.M.

Bianca:

LOL, well, it was worth a try, right?

If you two come near Atlanta, let me know. I'd be happy to play tour guide!

Best wishes on your upcoming nuptials!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:01 AM
lisa

Bianca -- what a fabulous trip! I'm so jealous that you can take 4 months for a honeymoon -- we had two weeks!

Anyway, my suggestion is that as you are heading southish from Chicago to New Orleans, be sure to stop for a night in Memphis, Tennessee. It is the birthplace of the blues and has some wonderful history. For deluxe accommodations, stay at the Peabody downtown, where the ducks live in a little house on the roof and are paraded across the red carpet each day to swim and play in the travertine marble fountain in the lobby. For cheaper accommodations, try the Radisson next door or the Holiday or Days Inn (I forget) across the street.

While in Memphis, be sure to check out the blues clubs on Beale Street (walking distance from the Peabody), Sun Studios (where Elvis and many others got their start), and some of the world's best barbecue! (the Rendezvous, in an alley across the street from the Peabody, is famous for its "dry" ribs). Also, plan to spend at least half a day at Graceland (Elvis's home) south of town -- it's not to be missed.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 06:20 AM
KAZIA

I WAS JUST IN NEW ORLEANS LAST SUMMER-BEST VACATION I EVER HAD. BE WARY OF INTERSTATE 10 FROM THE MAINLAND INTO THE CITY-EVERYBODY MAY LOOK OK DOING 100MPH BUT IF YOU NOTICE THEY ALL HAVE LOUISIANNA PLATES-OUT OF TOWNERS ARE PRIME SPEEDING TARGETS. THE FOOD IN THE FRENCH QUARTER IS EXCEPTIONAL EVEN AT THE CHEAP PLACES, AND THE ENTERTAINMENT GOES ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT. THE PONTCHARTRAIN HOTEL IN THE GARDEN DISTRICT WAS COMFORTABLE AND THE STAFF WAS WONDERFUL ($100-$300 A NIGHT). BE WARY OF PANHANDLERS AND TRICKSTERS IN THE FRENCH QUARTER. TAKE THE STREETCAR-IT'S HARD TO FIND PARKING IN THIS TOWN.
THE PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY BUT YOU CAN TELL THAT THEY ARE AT ONE END OF THE SOCIAL SCALE OR THE OTHER. I NEVER SAW SO MANY BMW'S AND MERCEDES, BUT STRAY TO FAR OFF THE BEATEN PATH AND YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF SURROUNDED BY THE GHETTO.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 08:24 AM
travellyn

I stayed in the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, in Canada about a year and a half ago. It is a couple of hours from Toronto and within an hour of the falls. I really enjoyed being there. I thought at the time that Niagara-on-the-Lake would be a much better place for a honeymoon than at Niagara Falls. It is loaded with comfortable B&Bs.

They have an annual theater festival that was in full swing by late May. I saw 4 plays in 3 days. I also especially enjoyed an exhilarating jet boat ride up the Niagara River rapids to the falls. It would be best to bring a disposable underwater camera for that ride.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Bianca Szabo

Thanks to everyone who replied....

Brenden and I have taken your suggestions on board and are now working out a more definite travel route through the US.

Happy New Year to you all.....

Bianca

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:53 AM
RB

If you're in New Orleans April 26- May 5, it will be time for the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. The music is great- multiple tent sites set up around a fairground track- and the food at the Fest rivals almost anything served in the swankiest restaurants, so you save a buck on food-or what you would spend in the restaurants, anyway. [Crawfish Monica- hunt down the folks who make this dish!] While the Fest makes finding rooms - especially in the French Quarter- a trick, the combination of music & food is the closest thing to heaven on earth, IMHO. If you want a hotel room at this time, please make it now. The Fest artist list has not yet been set; check the following for announcement:
http://www.insideneworleans.com/partners/nojazzfest/
I do hope your trip can include the Southwest, particularly Zion/Bryce/Grand Canyon/Monument Valley-the expanse of the country and the rock formations are something not found anywhere else. If you're going to Salt Lake City, at least drop down to Zion/Bryce, or over to Moab for Arches NP. Sorry to clutter your decisions, but I'd hate to have you make it this far without seeing this area. As far as cost-saving tips, we have found a fabric collapsable cooler with a plastic insert an invaluable item. It packs up flat for plane travel. Good luck & safe travels.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Brock

Save a couple days and skip the drive between Chicago and New Orleans - not a very exciting drive. N.Y. to Niagra Falls: go thru Vermont and New Hampshire besides upstate New York - VERY beautiful country. Seattle area: go a little north of Seattle to the Olympic peninsula and national park (rain forest and skyline drive are highlights) and maybe a quick ferry ride to Victoria, Canada. Don't miss the Columbia River Gorge area when you go back south. Highway 1 along the California coast from north of San Francisco, south, is one of the prettiest drives in the world - stop at Hearst Castle. Don't miss national parks Yosemite and Yellowstone; Lake Tahoe (northern California/Nevada). We live outside Chicago, so if you need any other suggestions, feel free to ask. Have a great trip.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:38 PM
joe

In the major cities, you can usually find good budget accomodations if you stay near the airport on the weekends. Midweek, airport accomodations are often high and coastal/ beachside accomodations are a bit more affordable.

Las Vegas rooms are always less expensive Sundays through Thursdays, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City will be lower on weekends, so plan your drive accordingly. Also, don't make your reservations too far in advance since you'll find your itinerary constantly changing. In the USA, you can usually find hotels that will take a reservation on a "4pm Hold" or a "6pm hold". This means that you do not have to guarantee the reservation with a credit card. If you do not show up at the hotel on the day reserved, your reservation cancels at 4 or 6pm with no obligation. We usually reserve this way so that we do not have to worry about remembering to cancel. The morning of our arrival, if indeed we are sure that we will be staying at the reserved hotel, we will call with our credit card to hold the room if we'll arrive late.
www.choicehotels.com will have clean, affordable accomodations most anywhere in the U.S. La Quinta Inns are another dependable chain to watch for, especially on those nights when you're just "on the road" and looking for a bed.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:17 AM
x

you are very brave and adventurest..don`t know if I`d have the energy to do all that traveling...you could try some hostels,that might a cheap alternative and some camping...good way to see the country...a motorhome would be ideal but expensive to rent...other than that some inexpensive hotel/motels do offer free breakfast ...you could ck on their websites...get a good map of the Us and the individual states to map out your plan..also one idea is college dorms...they rent them out when school is not in session...the car rental might be very expensive for 4 months...buying a used one or new oe and shipping it home mght be an idea($$ don`t know what it would cost)..insurance might be a problem though..good luck and congratulations....have a wonderful trip.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -