US Grant Hotel?

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Grant Hotel?

Has anyone stayed here since renovations? What'd you think? It looks very nice, and I can find some pretty good rates for it right. Thanks.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

oops, meant to say right now!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Are you talking about San Diego?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

yes, I am, sorry posted in too much of a hurry.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:06 AM
TahitiTams

Hi frankie..
We just stayed at the US Grant for the Memorial Day weekend and it was gorgeous!
Being a Starwood member, they immediately upgraded me to a huge suite with dining room and living room.
It was my husbands birthday and they sent up a bottle of J champagne and dipped strawberries..so if it is a special occasion by all means so say.
The Grant Grill is lovely.
Keep us posted frankie!

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

sounds great, wouldn't mind getting upgraded, tahiti. Will report back soon, thanks!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
TahitiTams

frankie..
Expedia had this for $229 a night which is unbelievable...love the welcome champagne cocktail when checking in.
The front desk is very receptive to upgrades..if not sold-out, it does help to be a starwood member..
When are you going?

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Tahti Tams - this is good to know. We often drive down to San Diego from Orange County as a get-away. Tend to stay at Marriott properties due to points - but we are starwood members and love our Amex reward points.... I will have to check it out.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

tahiti, we are a starwood member, no big points though, and we have an amex package with breakfast and late checkout, but just a regular room.
We're going this weekend, hope it won't be too busy and we'll get an upgrade! thanks for your help!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
TahitiTams

Hey frankie..
You are going to have a great time whether you get an upgrade or not..
Victor Barothy-Langer is the GM and he is the nicest guy and maybe call or e-mail him before hand and maybe mention that you heard of the US Grant from Fodor's and you will post a trip report to get the word out there..its worth a try for an upgrade..he is a class guy and it shows in his property.
Have a wonderful time frankie and let us know how you enjoyed it!

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Really lovely hotel and interesting story behind the land, rug, tribe that owns, etc. When we stayed there in Dec, the staff was very knowledgable and willing to share the history- which I love! BTW, we REALLY enjoyed Croce's Restaurant in the Gaslight District (walking distance) and if you go, be sure to have the spinach salad with figs- YUM-)!! I enjoyed the hotel Grill for breakfast too. Have a great time!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your help, guys, I'll tell you about it on Monday. Thanks for the Croce's recommendation, too. I sure loved his songs...
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:51 PM

the us grant has a wonderful afternoon tea
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Stayed there this weekend and enjoyed the hotel very much. Before we went, we decided to take advantage of an upgrade to a suite for another $100 that was offered along with our email confirmation. I was promised a "luxurious" Landmark suite on one of the high private floors by email.

When we checked in the front desk said they had us in a "legacy" suite. When I asked what the difference was, the young man at the front desk said not much, so we went to our room. It was tiny! The only extra room was a little bit of a dark foyer with a chair and little loveseat, a place we'd never use. I called back down to the front desk, and said if this is what I get for an extra $100, I'll just take the regular room I'd originally booked --

Well, suddenly a "Landmark" suite became available, and that was just a beautiful room with a spacious bedroom and pretty living area with lots of natural light. So all was well, though I don't know why they didn't just give me the correct room at checkin!

It's a great place for a weekend getaway. Great rooms, beds. My hats off to the room decorater/designer! Much more to look at and enjoy than your average nice hotel room. If the US Grant upped their level of customer service, it could be a 5 star hotel. (They need to take lessons from the Four Seasons chain!)
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
TahitiTams

Hi frankie..
I hate when the you pay for something like the Landmark suite and they stick you into something else!
I would call back the hotel and speak to Victor, the GM..he would like to know..this is not acceptable!
The suites are lovely..
Where did you go for dinner?
I see that Expedia has rooms starting at $199..what a deal.
Glad you had a good time!

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Tahiti, thanks for all your advice! I did email the person who set up the upgrade for me, and they emailed back and apologized, so I'm glad they did that. I should've tried getting in touch with the general manager originally...
I wouldn't have minded a regular room because they're so pretty, but our suite was beautiful!
We ended up eating at La Bocca, an Italian place on 5th we'd eaten at a year or two ago, and we'd had such nice service, we returned. Pretty Good Italian food and nice staff.
Oh, as we were leaving, the maids were cleaning one of the Presidential Suites which were on our floor. I asked if I could look in, and they showed me around! Now THAT was a nice room! I asked how much a night, and the maid guessed $5000! Not worth that, that's for sure!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
TahitiTams

Hey frankie..
Will you please e-mail the GM..
He would love to hear what you have told me and other Fodorites!

[email protected]

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi tahiti, I did email this thread with a short explanation. Thanks again.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the comments Frankie. We unexpectedly have to travel to San Diego Thursday and we have a reservation at the US Grant. We were able to get in on the $199 hotel deal through the hotel direct and will try to use our Gold Starwood card for a larger room. Thanks for mentioning the room size as we'll ask about that during check in.

The hotel looks gorgeous on the US Grant website, can't wait to see it

PS, I seem to remember it is a historic haunted hotel that supposedly has a ghost that walks the hallways...
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

enjoy your stay, travelinwifey! I didn't know about the ghosts !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -