Search

US AIRWAYS CHARGING FOR WATER

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US AIRWAYS CHARGING FOR WATER

I don't want to believe this but it is on msn.com tonight:

Luggage and legroom isn’t enough for some carriers — starting today (Aug. 1), coach passengers flying aboard US Airways Inc. must pay for a drink of water.

This morning, US Airways began charging fliers $2 for bottled water and sodas and $1 for teas and coffees. First class members, trans-Atlantic passengers and a select group of others are exempt from the extra fees.

This is another clever way to masquerade airfare increases without increasing airfares," says Randy Petersen, editor of Inside Flyer Magazine. "Everything has been passed along to the consumer."

The Tempe, Ariz.-based airline is among many other carriers scrambling to cut costs and boost revenues amid skyrocketing fuel prices. For now, other major airlines including AMR Corp.’s American Airlines, Delta Air Lines Inc., and Northwest Airlines Corp. say they won’t resort to the a la carte beverage system yet but will continue researching all possible ways to save money. Discount carriers AirTran Holdings Inc., JetBlue Airways Corp. and Southwest Airlines Co say they will also continue serving complimentary beverages.

Continental Airlines Inc. — one of the few airlines left that serves free meals on certain domestic flights — says it is unlikely to abandon its free beverage service. Continental says charging for a soda would detract from passenger comfort. "That’s always been our philosophy, and it’s one that works well with us," says spokeswoman Julie King.

Several other low-cost carriers like Spirit Airlines Inc and Allegiant Air, LLC began charging for beverages a few years ago. These low-budget airlines say their business model offers "unbundled" deals, which strip away extra costs and charge only for the flight. Spirit and Allegiant officials say customers like this plan, which allows flyers to add on extra drinks and snacks only if they desire.

US Airways says it will provide water and drinks for passengers in cases of medical emergency and during extensive delays. If a desperately thirsty passenger does forget a few extra dollars, US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant says flight attendants will likely "err on the side of the customer" and give him or her water. After all, the airline wouldn’t want its customers drinking tap water from the aircraft bathroom. That water is safe to drink, just not very palatable, according to Durrant.

"Frankly, that’s just not classy," he says.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM

As long as I can still buy bottled water in the airport (once past the security check point), I'm fine.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM

<<Everything gets passed on to the consumer.>>

Well, of course it does.

What's really annoying - shopping fares is headache enough - now you have to consider which airlines charge how much for what "extras".
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM

That is such f*ing bull^%#&*!!!! Excuse my French!!

I am sooooo angry reading about this!!

You have to throw away the H2O you bring from home (usually before even getting a sip) at the security gate, pay AT LEAST $2 - $3 at the airport for a new bottle, and lots of times even then have to throw it out if there is another security check down the line, unless they have zipped it/packed it/sealed it at the snack counter.

Sorry, water should be free!!!!!!!!
Maybe after 2 bottles, I could understand them charging for extras. Still, this is getting ridiculous. Alcohol, ok, charge me. Basic food & water on any flight over 1 hour should be an automatic comp.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM
J62

"You have to throw away the H2O you bring from home (usually before even getting a sip) at the security gate, pay AT LEAST $2 - $3 at the airport for a new bottle, and lots of times even then have to throw it out if there is another security check down the line, unless they have zipped it/packed it/sealed it at the snack counter. "

I'm sorry, but who brings a full bottle of water to the security line knowing full well they'll have to discard it? As for the $2-3 to buy a bottle, why not just bring an empty bottle and fill it up at a water fountain post security? QED. And what domestic airport has a secondary security screening where you have to throw away another bottle?
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM

Author: J62
Date: 08/02/2008, 02:00 am

"As for the $2-3 to buy a bottle, why not just bring an empty bottle and fill it up at a water fountain post security?"

Hey, good idea. Never thought of that.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM

I've already tried taking an empty bottle and filling after security so I have water to drink before getting on the flight (we're generally early to the airport) or refilling the bottle bought after passing security because it can often take a long time to get a drink once you're on the plane. Of course, on a long flight, it's hard to carry on enough water, so it would seem that they should provide some free water on a flight of a certain duration.

I guess I have a little different perspective as one who took the Greyhound to college and other places all those years ago and there was no beverages or food provided or available. When I started flying it was pleasant to find that provided. I'd rather pay for some water than get socked for checking bags--that really frosts me because it seems that transporting my luggage is part of transporting me.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM

J62, has the water bottle thing worked for you? I ask because I've seen TSA make people throw away empty bottles that were over the 3 ounce limit at the security screening.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM

J62 - I guess you have never been through LAX. They make you apply the ketchup and/or mustard to your sandwich before you board. No liquids, period.

I fly overseas way more than I do domestic. Overseas, secondary screening is everywhere. You HAVE to buy a sealed bottle in AMS, or they will take it at the gate. No drinking until you board. No other bottles of any kind. That is MY OWN experience. In Russia, they sell bottled water 2 feet from the secondary screeing/boarding gate. I was dying for some water, but the guy told me I would not be able to bring it on, even if I bought it right there & then. I decided to wait.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
J62

Yes, I have brought empty water bottles through security at about 1/2 dozen airports in the last 6 months without any problem. LAX isn't one of them, so I can't say what the practice there is.

The secondary screening on international flights bound for the US is definitely a problem if you want to buy water or even fill up at a faucet - many airports segregate the last few gates in a terminal for flights to the US because of this and there is nothing for sale after the 2nd security check.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM

I've never heard of empty bottles having to be thrown out. I have ALWAYS brought an empty water bottle (after having to wait forever for a sip of water once on a bumpy flight)and filled it before boarding. Used to bring my own booze, too, in the good old days, and never had anyone say anything.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next time one of their planes gets stuck out on the runway for 6 hours, it'll be fun to watch them try and charge people for water.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Many times, I've also had to throw away my water before boarding that I had just purchased after going through Security. And, several times I have been told I could not have my empty bottle.

Selling water after we have been prohibited from bringing our own is really wrong, wrong, wrong. I will avoid those airlines charging this fee as long as I can.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Sandy, Please be specific as to some examples (plural, as in your post) of when you have been made to throw away water purchased after security or when you've had empty bottles confiscated at security. It is important that we know which airlines and airports engage in this outrageous behavior.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's probably not a specific airport or airline, just an employee who has no idea what they're doing.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM

I have recently started taking a large water bottle through security to fill inside the terminal.
The first time I failed to explain that I WANTED the bottle and the TSA person tossed it, thinking that I did not want it.
Now I let them know that I want to use it on the plane and I have had no problems at all... not even a sideways look on about 25 flights.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM

The practice of confiscating water purchased after security is live and well in Mexico...had it happen to me in Puerto Vallarta in March and in Cozumel just a few weeks ago.

I'd say the policy varies...but is less likely in the US.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Next they will have a credit card reader on the bathroom and charge you a convenience fee!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM

I was on a jetBlue flight recently when the lady in the aisle seat in front of me handed her jacket to the flight attendant and asked her to put it in the overhead been.

The FA obliged and, as she was folding the jacket, said "there will be a folding fee"!

At the end of the flight the same FA retrieved the jacket and, as she handed it to the owner, said "there will be an unfolding fee".

travelinandgolf, why are you fine? Wouldn't buying a bottle of water at an airline store be more expensive than buying it onboard?

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM

overhead bin, not "been". The FA was joking about the folding fees, of course.

She was not joking about the $1 fee, payable by credit card only, for use of a headset to go with the great seatback DirecTV they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -