US AIR love it or hate?

Search

US AIR love it or hate?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US AIR love it or hate?

Last year I flew us air and didnt have a good experience. My friend just flew with them to miami and had a even worse experience. What do you think, was it just a fluke?
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM

WAIT!!!! (long enough) and somebody will tell you a horror story about almost every airline you could possibly fly.

My experiences with USAirways have been mixed but some of the "horrors" were really not under the control of the airline.

Ergo, I try to always take the earliest possible flight and try to always get a non-stop.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:42 PM

My husband flies weekly on an assortment of airlines - USAir, United, AA and occasionally Delta. He has an equal number of horror and wonderful stories of trips on all of them - and for the most part the flights are non-events and a means to get from A to B. And most horror stories are in some way weather related, as we live in Boston.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM

I agree. Over the last couple of years I have flown Southwest, USAir and Continental. Southwest doesn't really compare, as my other trips were transatlantic. In my experience, USAir was no better, no worse than Continental in pretty much every way.

I DID learn to avoid airports in the Northeast like the plague and otherwise follow the advice Dukey just gave.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

to bad i live in the northeast so that would be pretty impossible. boo me
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've flown them a few times recently between Seattle and Puerto Vallarta, as they are much cheaper and have better schedules than Alaska Air (my old standby) these days. They did just fine.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

I've always had good luck but then I have littel choice (I reside in CLT). That being said we did schedule flights during certain times, avoided all DC airports (as well as PHL) esp. on Fridays, etc., etc.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM

When America West bought USAir several years ago, I think things got much worse than they had been under old USAir. Before then, my only complaints were the usual random inconveniences that are routine if you fly a few times a year.
My three USAir experiences in the first half of 2007 were all bad--computer meltdowns that halted checkin at airports in two different cities two months apart (FLL in Jan, DCA in March) and caused hundreds of passengers to miss their flights, hours-long hold on the phones, a "computer problem in Phoenix" that dealyed a May flight out of DCA for three hours (an early morning westbound, so not subject to the everyday afternoon- in-the-northeast problems).
I hope they are improving because they are usually the most conveinent for my travels and I have a bunch of ff miles accumulated with them that I'd like to be able to redeem.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I hate US Air...aside from having the worst terminal (PHL), the planes I've flown on have been old and dirty.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Didn't you know that "US-Scare" specifically saves the dirtiest seats and planes for non-members of their Dividend Miles program?????
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

haha thats really funny
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:21 PM

I fly USAir frequently, one route, and I have zero complaints.

BUT I am angry with USAir's decision to charge for a 2nd checked bag. Express your outrage:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...tionsform.aspx
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM

I had no problem with my flights but using my vouchers was a nightmare. Whatever you do, don't take the voucher offer!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

oh i have, im to afraid to fly with them after the last experience. i dont think ill use them
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:51 AM

On this day and age, can anyone really LOVE an airline? I've had good and bad experiences with almost every carrier out there.

I have learned that there are airports to avoid, not necessarily airlines. Miami is very high on my list of places not to go through.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 04:58 AM

I have been loyal to US Air for quite a few years. Much of the time, I went out of my way to take them, even if it meant a connection rather then non stop. When they changed the rules for Chairman's Preferred after the merge with America West, I stuck by them even then, despite the fact that I knew I would never have 120 segments. For the last few years, I even forgave them for using smaller planes with no first class seats and longer flying time. Just last month, though, my back was broken when they decided to only give credit for the amount of miles flown, rather than the usual 500 mile minimum. This decision has effectively removed any reason that I may have to fly them. For the future, my decisions as to which airline to choose will be based upon convenience, rather than my loyalty to a frequent flyer program.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 05:12 AM

marigross: On this day and age, can anyone really LOVE an airline? I've had good and bad experiences with almost every carrier out there.

I love Southwest Airlines. I think they have great service, fly where I need to go, and don't have change fees! I think their website is terrific - very easy to navigate and fast. If you like low fares, you should like Southwest too, even if you don't fly them yourself, because they usually force the competition to lower their fares in any market they enter.

I know a number of people who love Jet Blue (yes, even after the Valentine's Day fiasco of 2007).

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM

I've flown USAir and don't really remember much about it, so it must have been okay. I typically fly in coach.

Now, United is an airline I shall never forget, cheapskate that I may be I will never book with them unless the flight is practically free.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:39 AM

In the past year I have flown with Northwest, Southwest, Midwest, United, USAir, American. I can't say that one is any better than the other. You can basically close your eyes and not tell what airline you are dealing with (except for the cookies on Midwest and the boarding on SOuthwest). My flights are mostly for business and the work TA picks the airline.
I have flown southwest when I choose because Louisville to Chicago and Baltimore, you just can't beat the price and convenience. Choose US air for fun trip (honeymoon) in June based on price and flight times.
I really have not found one airline to be totally good or totally awful.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:43 AM

I have flown quite a bit in the last several years and my husband flies frequently for business. For domestic flights we both LOVE Midwest. Very comfortable seating on the 2x2 leather seats. Great customer service with a home town feel from the air staff.

Hubby's least fav is Southwest because of the "cattle call" seating policy. It really doesn't bother me as long as I am not in the last boarding group with a middle seat and no room for my bag. They don't fly my airport now but I wish they did for the competition.

My least favorite BY FAR is air tran. I have flown them 3 times and each time there were significant problems. It started with weather but their poor customer service takes a bad situation and makes it worse, particularly in Atlanta - the hell of the aviation world. They have no system in place to handle the chaos after an Atlanta weather blip and so far every staff member I have dealt with has been less than competent and friendly. Even the letter that they sent to me to "apologize" for a significant delay was addressed to another passenger in another state.

I am generally a thrifty traveler but I will pay hundreds more to avoid air tran.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -