Upstate NY,Maine or NH quiet summer holida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to rent a house in either NY,NH.or Me on a lake. I would like a quiet place, trout fishing, and few bugs.Any suggestions?Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For how long? To accomodate how many people?
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. It is for a family of four. The 'children' are 17 and 18. We just want a place where we can relax, fish a bit - they don't need much entertainment - they seem to get enough of that the rest of the year.We just want somewhere quiet even remote with not a lot of jet skis or people but I am concerned about biting flies.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:13 AM

When are you planning on going? I live on a lake in upstate NY and black flies and mosquitos can keep you inside! They can be especially bad June and July.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Well, the Adirondacks come to mind. The bugs can be bad anytime of year (or not) - but if you want trout fishing, quiet, few people, and a lake - you ARE going to have bugs!

I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but the fishing in Adirondacks can be a little tough. There are some trout streams that might be good, but Lake Trout are difficult due to acidification of the lakes. My son (fisherman extraoridinaire) likes Piseco Lake - but I don't think he catches lake trout there. There are some jet skiis - but not too many. Very good kayaking around there too. Some ADK towns have banned jet skiis. Check that out on line. Blue Mountain Lake I think has banned them.

Moosehead Lake in Maine is really great, but pretty far away.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Was at Moosehead last year in early June and the bugs were non-existent...weren't many other people there, either.

You might try Castle Island Camps in Belgrade Maine near Augusta. Or check with a Belgrade realtor.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Always went to Lake Winnepasauke (spelling?) in NH as a kid every year. WE stayed in a cabin in a small town called Wolfeboro. It is definitely not lively, but a very nice little town area. The lake is gorgeous. I can't recommend a place to stay because we haven't been in so long. We did stay in cabins in a place called Piping Rock. I have no idea what it is like today. Some of my best memories of childhood was going there every summer!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Wolfeboro is a quaint town on the quiet northern side of Lake Winnipesaukee. I check the NH Atlas and both Winnipesaukee and Winnisquam Lakes are cold water with a variety of trout. Meredit and Center Harbor might also be fairly quiet but avoid the southern Weirs Beach area which is congested with both auto and boat traffic. Either Little or Big Squam Lake would be perfect IF you could find a rental. That's were On Golden Pond was filmed and there is no public access. Lake Sunapee and Newfound are also cold water lakes and might be quieter. Another reason why Wolfeboro would be a good choice is the proximity to trout streams and the White Mountains. If you want really quiet then head to Pittsburg NH near the Canadian border. This is the area of old fashion sportsmen lodges. In the Lake W area, bugs shouldn't be a problem after Memorial Day but you might have to wait much later for the black flies to disappear in northern NH. We've rented on Winnisquam. The cottage area was quiet but it was only a few miles from Rt 3 traffic congestion. Quiet cottages will be on lake shore that is far from the traveled highways. There are also cottages right in the middle of congestion.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for you suggestions. We are thinking of going in August and I will research all of your advice. Very nice of all of you to help.Thanks Oldtrout