Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Upscale Sept Beach Getaway with 3 month old baby

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. My wife and I are desperately trying to find a nice upscale beach getaway in mid- September, where we can go with our baby girl who will be 3 months old. Given her age, we are hoping to go somewhere that would be reachable within 3 hours on a non-stop flight from Dallas, is in the US, and is accessible to hospitals, etc. Ideally we would be able to go somewhere, where we could have a room with a balcony on/overlooking the beach, so that we can enjoy the sun/air, but can easily take our our little one indoors, if needed. Beyond that, I guess we are looking for someplace we can feel relatively pampered.

Having read many of the great postings on this site, we have been thinking about a few places: Destin/Seaside in Florida, Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach and San Diego.

The issues I am worried about with each:

Destin/Seaside: Is there significant risk of seaweed or hurricanes ruining our vacation? Are there any really nice 4-or-5 star quality places to stay at with beachfront rooms?

Laguna Beach/Dana Point: Is it going to be relaxing or relatively noisy/bustling, even if we stay at one of the nicer places (like the Ritz, St. Regis or Surf and Sand)? Is the beach nice?

San Diego: Are there nice places to stay, with beachfront rooms? Are the beaches nice?

Santa Barbara: Will it be too cold? Where to stay, if we want a beachfront room?

Sorry for the long post, but if any of you have any thoughts on these locations or ideas of other places, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:03 AM
stjohnbound

Destin (or any of Florida for that matter) is probably not a good idea in September. Also, I don't think there are any direct flights from Dallas to Destin or Fort Walton. Pensacola airport is probably closest and you would have to drive over an hour to get to Destin. I'm sure you'll get some great advice on other beaches. Enjoy your trip and your new baby!

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Hi newdad,
I have been in D > 24 years after 5 in San Diego.
We used to rt to LaJolla in the Summer when the family was younger nearly every year.
Sept and October are really the best months weatherwise and sans/sin summer tourists in SAN.
I have recently been there as a "real tourist": Shelter Pointe Hot and Marina - pretty OK and the LaValencia hot in LaJolla - near world class and expensive.
The old "tudor" rooms at the Hot Del are VG and there are many "resorts" such as Loews Coronado Bay, etc.
The US Grant and the "downtown/Horton Plaza" area are way overrated imho.
Feel free to e-mail [email protected]
or call - I'm in the ph book
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Erosion has "destroyed" some previously wonderful beaches N of Del Mar (esp Solana Beach), but there are still many to enjoy in San, LaJolla and Del Mar.
M
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:16 AM

newdad--congratulations on your baby! Since you mentioned Destin and someone else pointed out that Pensacola has an airport, you might do some research on Pensacola Beach. The beaches are beautiful along the Gulf Coast and the water would still be warm and swimmable in September. I have a friend who goes to Gulf Shores , AL (about 30-40 minutes from Pensacola) in September every year and prefers it at this time b/c of the cooler temps during the day, cheaper prices (after Labor Day), and the fact that the water is still warm. If you chose Pensacola (or the Gulf Shores area), you could fly in to that airport and rent a car to get out to the beach. As far as "upscale" goes, I'm not so sure about that--most people tend to rent condo's/beach houses in that area. Of course, I'm sure you could find some really beautiful beach homes/condos for rent, if you're willing to go that route. Maybe some others from the Pensacola area would be able to provide information on some resort-type places in that area. Good luck.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM
stjohnbound

If you decide on Pensacola Beach, there is a new condominium complex here called Portofino. It provides a resort-like atmosphere with spa, etc. It is across from the Gulf of Mexico on Santa Rosa Sound where the waters are always calm. I'm sure they shuttle you across to the Gulf or you can easily walk. The complex is located such that you would have to drive to restaurants, etc. but nothing more than 5 minutes. Do a Google search and you'll find it. Also, good reviews on Tripadvisor. As far as September temperatures being cooler, I can only say "sometimes". Let me know if you need more information about Pensacola Beach!

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:36 AM
GoTravel

Hurricanes (East Coast, Gulf, Caribbean) and Typhoons (West Coast, Hawaii, Pacific Rim) are not something I'd plan my vacation around. If that were the case I wouldn't travel from around mid May to December sometime.

It's August and Hurricane Alex just cut out of here and there's another storm brewing.

September is gorgeous on the East Coast.

Hilton Head, Wild Dunes, Sullivans Island, Ameilia Island, Jekyll Island, Ponte Vedra Beach, New Smyrna Beach, Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Naples, Miami Beaches would be my choice.

There is also a very cool destination near Seaside and similar to Seaside and I cannot remember the name. I'll post if I can remember.

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM
dln

newdad, here are my two suggestions: Seaside or the its neighboring town, Watercolor, or Naples, Florida.

My two children--now teens--felt their first sea water at Seaside. It's a lovely upscale resort town that attracts all ages, from young families such as yourself to older people whose children have long since left the nest. There are honeymoon cottages if you prefer to stay directly on the beach, or you can stay across the road in the town proper. If you visit the website, www.seasidefl.com, you can do a virtual visit. Watercolor, the next town (back-to-back with Seaside) offers the plush Watercolor Inn. As to seaweed, well, all I can say is that it's a crapshoot whether you'll see it or not! Over the years, though, we've done pretty well in NOT seeing any in September (nor have we ever run into a hurricane over the last 20 years).

As to Naples, I love the Ritz, the older one on Vanderbilt Beach Road. It's a wonderful hotel directly on the beach. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and there are two pools and spa facilities and dining. The advantage of Naples is that it's a "real" town as opposed to a resort place, and there's no shortage of entertainment available when you're off the beach! If you decide to look into Naples, the closest airport (about 20-25 minutes away) is Fort Meyers.

We always preferred the Gulf of Mexico for our vacations when our children were young because the water is not only very pretty with all its blues and greens, but it's significantly calmer than ocean water. You don't get the extreme surf. It works out well when you have babies.

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:42 PM

I first thought of Naples Fla. when I read your post but traveling there is not so easy. I think the closest airport is Ft Meyers. There are a number of nice hotels on the beach including the Registry and the Ritz Carlton.

I think your idea of Cal. may be more practical for a shorter flight and more options. People really like the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Beach. You might also look at L'Auberge Del Mar in San Diego. I don't know how baby friendly they are though. The Lodge at Torrey Pines is magnificent but it's not right on the beach. The beach at the Hotel Del on Coronado is fantastic and so are the public areas. I think many of the rooms need updating. Someone on the board recently stayed at the Avenida on Coronoado. It's across from the Del so not on the beach.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Hi Newdad,

I think I'm the someone who stayed at La Avenida. We loved it but it wouldn't be my choice with a baby. There are no balconies and with a baby I think it's nice to be able to put him her to bed and still enjoy part of the evening. Having said that, we loved Coronado and the beach is fantastic. Also loved Newport Beach. We stayed at the Hyatt which does have balconies/patios but is not on the beach. I think Balboa Club/Inn does have balconies and is as close to the beach as you're going to get in the area (all beaches are public and have boardwalks). Good luck and have a great holiday!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Deblynn

My vote is for Southern Calif in September. The weather is mostly nice and it's not very crowded. It wouldn't be nearly as risky as hurricane season in Florida! We have been to Laguna Beach and San Diego in September and was beautiful both times. We stay at the LaJolla Beach and Tennis Club or Sea Lodge in the San Diego area, and have stayed at the Inn at Laguna in Laguna Beach. Both are right on the beach. It is a little more quiet in LaJolla, but both are great. The Surf & Sand is also good in Laguna Beach. Good luck and have fun!

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:54 PM

If you can find an acceptable flight, and don't mind the heat and humidity, I agree with those above who suggest Naples. We live in Florida and our second child was born in May (15 years ago). We wanted something very easy when he was about 8 weeks old so we stayed at the Registry in Naples. We stayed in one of their villas which are very luxurious and had a few more of the comforts that you won't find in a hotel room. The villas are arranged in clusters and each cluster has its own pool. We had a ground floor villa with a lanai just feet from the pool. Baby #2 was addicted to his swing and the pool was so close to the lanai, we could swim with our two-year old and keep a close eye on the baby in his swing. The beach is very nice. It is separated from the hotel by mangroves, but it has a boardwalk to the beach and they have a golf cart that shuttles guests back and forth if you don't want to walk. We had a wonderful and relaxing stay. We enjoyed it so much we did the exact same thing when baby #3 was a few weeks old.

We still stay at the Registry ocassionaly and are impressed with the fact that the service and the accommodations have never declined over the 15 years we've been staying there.

If you can't get a direct flight in Ft. Myers, the closest might be Miami which would be about an hour and a half away.

Congratulations to your family--enjoy!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 04:38 AM

How about flying into Jacksonville (FL) and staying at the Ritz on Amelia Island. If the Ritz isn't your style, there is always an opportunity to rent a condo, or there is a nice B&B/Inn called Elizabeth Point Lodge.
Of course we can't guarantee rain free weather, but I think that risk of hurricanes in this area is insignificant.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Balboa Bay Club in Newport Beach CA may work for you. Very nice rooms; kid friendly; spa; pools. It's on the bay, not the ocean, so you'd want to drive five minutes to a better beach, but it's not as expensive and it's close to a lot of fun stuff. It is not secluded though, so Laguna may be a better choice. The Laguna places like Montage and Ritz are great but really pricey. Montage is really beautiful with great restaurants, pool. It's a lovely time in Orange County. And three months is a great age to take a baby on a trip like this. Have fun!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Try the Montage Resort and Spa in Leguna Beach. Far better service, location, quality of rooms then the Ritz Carlton. Laguna Beach is a great town to walk around and plenty of great restaurants. http://www.montagelagunabeach.com/
I live in SoCal and this is where I go with my family when I want to get away. Weather is perfect and service is impeccable. You will definately get pampered and relax. Large number of the rooms face the ocean and have balconies. People rave about the Ritz Carlton but in my opinion the Ritz has seen better days and is too big. The rooms are basically all the same in terms of size. Only thing you pay more for is the view. Beach is not easily accessible (have to walk down a ways). You can fly into John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana and drive 30-45 minutes (easy, no traffic drive) to Laguna Beach. Just my opinion...
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM

Harbor View Inn in Santa Barbara. I can't imagine that it would be too cold...in fact just south in Los Angeles, September is often unbearably hot.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Anywhere right on the coast in California from Santa Barbara south to the Mexico border will enjoy near-ideal weather-- dry air, summery temperatures (on the coast it rarely gets above 85, even in the worst Santa Ana conditions). Example: Under a bad Santa Ana last year (in October, as I recall), I left my honey's house in East Long Beach (five miles from the shore) with the thermometer on my dashboard reading 101F. When I got to Belmont Shore (right on the water) ten minutes later, the thermometer read 83F. Relief!!

I'm one of the cheerleaders for the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel (actually in Dana Point). Lovely resort, great spa, wonderful for pampering. Now, I don't recall seeing a lot of babies there, but my firm puts on conferences there, and one of my colleagues has been there TWICE just after giving birth, and the baby was treated like royalty. It's on a bluff overlooking a beautiful beach.

The Hotel del Coronado is such a glorious piece of California history, and is still so beautiful, that I would seriously consider it as well. San Diego's a great town.

I love Florida (I just got back from visiting), but since you're coming from Texas, wouldn't you like to go somewhere without the oppressive humidity? Just a thought....
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:38 AM

onthego2 mentions the Montage Resort in (south) Laguna Beach, and I too recommend it highly. Gorgeous complex, high-end amenities, and its restaurant (Studio) is drawing raves from southern California foodies. Actually, you have great choices anywhere between Newport Beach and San Diego-- hard decision, huh?
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Congrats on your new family member!

I'm a southern Californian, and I think Sept is one of the most beautiful months. I live in Laguna and would agree - Montage is fabulous, but pricey. Surf and Sand is great too, right on the water and walkable to downtown Laguna for restaurants and art galleries (stroller and all!). Just had a friend stay at the St. Regis and he thought the rooms were much nicer than the Ritz - (St R and Ritz are closer to Dana Point than Laguna) The beaches are fabulous - beautiful sand with cliffs surrounding you. Of all of these - I'm thinking Surf and Sand might be easiest to getting to the sand without a long walk if you have a baby and are toting a lot of stuff and want ease to get back to your room and you can't get closer to the water. The others though a bit more "glamourous from the outside" are close to the beach but a bit of a walk down steep paths or steps.

Hope this helps you if you decide on Laguna. Let me know if you have any other questions.

As the others have said - Santa Barbara to San Diego - all very nice that time of year - you will have a great time.

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Hi. I just got back from Orange County and we visited Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. Laguna Beach is beautiful however it is very busy. There are tons of people, traffic and noise and I think it really takes away from its beauty. While Huntington Beach isn't really the most beautiful beach in the world...we enjoyed it. I think mostly because we loved the Hyatt in Huntington Beach. They had really spacious, clean, new rooms and the resort is beautiful. The staff was 2nd to none...honestly! They were happy to help with anything you need and they're very sincere about it. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool courtyard and the ocean. Hoag Memorial Hospital is approximately 4-5 miles down PCH. I had to unexpectedly take my Mom there on our vacation. I have to say I was impressed with Hoag too! Honestly the Hyatt will pamper you, you can walk to the beach if you want or just hang out at the resort. Last year we went to Coronado and while I loved the charming little beach town I'd return to Huntington Beach over Coronado and go to the Hyatt again. We didn't want to leave. The resort is only 2 years old. They have fireplaces and firepits at night where you can just sit out and relax. You can always visit NB and Laguna Beach for a day trip. Let me know if you have questions. If not, good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -