Reload this Page >

Upscale Manhattan restaurants in jeans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Boomer

Are the any upscale restaurants in Manhattan where we can wear jeans?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Ted

Boomer, it all depends on how you define "upscale." I'd say generally No, one shouldn't wear jeans to a so-called upscale restaurant. If it's truly upscale, by my definition, one would feel and look uncomfortable in jeans. But then again, some people consider Hooters upscale, so like I said, it depends on your definition. Do you have a specific restaurant in mind?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:47 PM
the boss

Boomer, There are probably no traditional "upscale" restaurants that you'd feel comfortable in with jeans on.

That said, there are many "hip" restaurants where you could probably get by with a pair of very hip jeans. If you don't know what hip jeans are or where to get them, I'd say leave the Levi's at home before a nice meal in NYC. Dressing up can be fun, enjoy.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Janet

By definition, if the place lets you in wearing jeans, it ain't upscale!! IMHO, hip is a synonym for trendy, which ain't upscale either. Trendy hipster places come and go; upscale has staying power. How 'bout investing in a nifty pair of Dockers or something???

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Dan

Dockers are worse than a pair of hip and trendy jeans in NY. The Boss' reply was on target.
Leave the Levi's and Dockers home.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Boomer

Janet, funny that you should suggest "nifty Dockers" since we own a good portion of the company.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Maxie

If you're over 30, overweight, and your jeans cost less than $500, forget it. If you're wearing the right shoes, might be ok. I'm wondering why anyone who wants to dine "upscale" would not want to dress "upscale" as well.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:05 PM
tina

Then why is it that you've never been to NY before and don't know how to dress appropriately in an upscale restaurant? You own a portion of Dockers and don't know how to dress for Manhattan?
Invest in some nice Zegna pants and sportscoat or Hugo Boss or Armani or Versace depending on your age.
Dockers are for the Red Lobster.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Boomer

I have international clients and dress all week long. That's why I want to wear jeans.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Boomer

Crude to even compare Hugo Boss and Versace ...and perhaps some reading comprehension courses will teach you how to understand a question without making assumptions.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:35 PM
tina

Boomer,
I'm not comparing Boss and Versace. It's just hilarious that you are asking what to wear when it should be commons sense.
You seem like an educated well-to-do individual. I'm just stating that Dockers are not done in the city and it depends on the place for jeans. Women can do jeans more often than men. Stick to something flattering for your age group. Versace is for the 20-30 something skinny model type while Boss is for the older distinguished type.
The names were just for a reference and I could rattle off many more that you probably never heard of.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:36 PM
tina

Boomer,
I'm not comparing Boss and Versace. It's just hilarious that you are asking what to wear when it should be common sense.
You seem like an educated and well-to-do individual. I'm just stating that Dockers are not done in the city and it depends on the place for jeans. Women can do jeans more often than men. Stick to something flattering for your age group. Versace is for the 20-30 something skinny model type while Boss is for the older distinguished type.
The names were just for a reference.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Boomer

....and I could "rattle off" many names of my friends probably which you would have heard of...but enough of this. I really just wanted a great meal.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Chris

Tina - I usually ignore threads like this one, but your comment "Dockers are not done in the city" had me in hysterics! Of course you would not wear a pair of Dockers to a upscale restaurant . . .but sweetie, people DO wear them, here in "THE CITY"! As far as "Boomer" is concerned, if this actually a "real" post, you need to leave the jeans at home if you are dining at that level.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:45 PM
jean

Boomer, where you live, do they have upscale restos? and do you wear jeans to them? then you should follow that rule in NYC, it will be helpful..or just wear a pair of black pants every night, even if it is casual you will look fine..but in jeans you are taking a chance.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Janet

Hey guys, I was JOKING about the Dockers. I realize they too are not appropriate at an upscale restaurant in NYC. Just joking, okay? So everyone relax about the Dockers.

And Boomer, I need to put my boots on because you're piling it up pretty deep. Or do I really need to check my Schedule 13D to see if there's a "Boomer" on the list?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:09 PM
DCG

Oh, wow - you guys - come on! Boomer is a troll. Let it rest.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Maxine

Boomer, instead wearing jeans, Dockers, Armani, or Hugo Boss, I suggest you dine in your boxers, or if you prefer, au naturel. Just make sure you call the concierge first and have him place a call to the maitre 'd at the restaurant you so desire the cuisine from. Then have it delivered to where ever you choose to dwell and dine. Bon appetit.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 11:12 PM
hhh

My handsome, tall, thin, young husband wears dockers - he looks great. What's wrong with a dark kahki or brown? They come in lots of fabrics - wish I were a man and dressing was so easy.

I know this was a troll post in retort of the women's clothings posts but interesting just the same. And, look at all the men answering.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:59 AM
RnR

Tall - thin - young - sounds vaguely familiar, maybe something from the distant past. Anyway, lets get practical for a moment: anybody know a good tailor for pleats? Apparently I'll need a second one in this summer's thong. Maybe I can cover up with a pashmina, or matching twin set (I'm just dying for nygirl to decypher that one!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -