Reload this Page >

upscale flea markets: central FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:42 AM
sue

Traveling to Orlando, Tampa area in Dec. and looking for upscale fleas markets. Knockoff jewlery, kids toys, etc. Love the one in Boca Raton and in Palm Springs. Are their any good ones in that area?

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:29 PM
chuck

Sue,

isn't upscale flea-market an oxymoron?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:27 AM
rob

theres "flea world" in Sanford off of 17-92.....fairly large with lots of dealers.....not a "garage sale" type of flea market.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:28 AM
sujo

There isn't anything upscale in central Florida...however, check out the St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop on Colonial Drive in Orlando...if you keep heading west on Colonial Drive, also known as 50, you'll hit a very large Salvation Army thrift shop on your right about 20 miles out of Orlando. Orlando and the surrounding area have many, many thrift shops...check the yellow pages...if the timing is right, you can get great buys.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:14 AM
George

Sujo, What an idiot you are. Simply by stating that there isn't anything upscale in Central Florida proves it.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Greg

Sujo was just being snide.
And personally I agree with the overall sentiment.
Can you imagine a hotel like the Hotel de Crillon (Paris) or even the Plaza (NYC) in central Florida?
It would stick out like a sore thumb because there's no history, no tradition, no class.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Celeste

Just so you don't go too far...the large Salvation Army store that is "20 miles west of Orlando" is actually only 4 miles west of downtown Orlando!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:02 PM
George

Yes....it's located in the "classy" section of town.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:05 AM
joan

The Wagon Wheel Flea Market in St. Petersburg (Park Boulevard west of Rte 19) is huge. Get there early Sat or Sun for great bargains. Don't know if it fits the "upscale" definition. I'm with Chuck, that's truly an oxymoron!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:19 AM
BTilke

Sue, the Mt. Dora area might be your cup of tea. It's a nice town well known for its antique shops and Victorian homes. Quite a bit different from the Orlando/DW strip mall environment.
Every weekend, Renningers holds a flea market along with special events from time to time. It has been featured on HGTV. Check this web site to see if this is what you're looking for:
www.renningersflorida.com
FYI, Mt. Dora is very easily reached from Orlando.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:59 AM
John

I was also going to mention Mt. Dora - we were there on a weekend (I think it was April, maybe) when we encountered what I could only call an "upscale" flea market in the park on the town square, and a street market in much of the downtown area. Don't know if it's a regular thing or just once-a-year, but it was fun. Lots of cute buildings in Mt. Dora, but, frankly, it's not much of a mountain.