Upscale Accommodations? "Out West" US Parks itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and our 2 children (8 and 11) are planning a trip "out west" for our summer vacation. We will be going the 3rd week of AUGUST, 2012. Currently, though we have not made any reservations, our trip looks like this: fly into Las Vegas,go to the Hoover Dam and drive to Kingman, AZ and stay the night. Next morning drive to South Rim of Grand Canyon (2 nights there), then drive to Lake Powell, Page, Az (2 nights there) then drive to Zion N.P. (2 nights there) then drive back to Vegas for the night and fly home the next morning. Here is my question: We love to hike and swim and want to try and fit as much in as possible. Here is a catch: we really like UPSCALE accommodations. I know - beggars can't be choosy but, we have not found much better than a "motel" at most of those locations. Is there a different itinerary (Yellowstone or Black Hills or something?) that would afford us the GREAT hiking and incredible views BUT STILL ALLOW FOR US TO GO BACK AT NIGHT TO A GREAT RESORT/RENTAL/LOG CABIN/QUAINT TOWN?
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Xanterra has the market for the western National Parks http://www.xanterra.com/
The rooms in the old National Park Lodges are not large and few could be considered "Upscale".
If you want to be within walking distance of the South Rim you have to accept what you get for lodging.
The really upscale rooms are in Las Vegas. You can take a helicopter tour from Las Vegas to see parts of the Grand Canyon.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM

You want upscale in Kingman, Arizona? Ha Ha.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:37 AM

Amen. "There's no There There" - in either Kingman or Page. (To quote Jessica Stein's famous reference about Oakalnd, CA)

If you want upscale - stay in Vegas for the night - and try to get into El Tovar on the Grand Canyon South Rim - and then - appreciate the other places for their natural beauty.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM

I can't help with your accomodations, but I wanted to remind you to wear hats and sunscreen and drink a *lot* of water. It will be really hot at most of your stops.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think that type of vacation and upscale accomodations are pretty much contradictory.

On the South Rim of GC the best there is is El Tovar.

You're not going to Yosemite but there's one very upscale hotel there.

Inpark lodging is normally booked a year in advance. Then you have to start watching a couple of months prior to the trip and hope you can get cancellations.

Since you probably won't get inpark lodging, let alone upscale lodging (which by the way most of us might want if it existed) why not add Bryce Canyon since it's close to Zion, 4,000 feet higher and very different?
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM

For Zion, the most upscale might be the Desert Pearl in Springdale. At least, that would be the closest. It's not 5-star or anything but is modern, clean, spacious and has pool and tv along with great views.

In general, "upscale" is all relative to what's available in the area. You might have to drive an hour or two to get lodging to your liking. Sometimes, it's best to just go for clean and comfortable with the best location.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM

I would consider adding Jackson Hole to the list. There is the four seasons and the amangani resort, among other upscale options. Spectacular scenery. Close to Yellowstone and Teton National Parks. Also great rafting, hiking, fishing and biking.

Aspen, Vail, Telluride and Park City all have lots of high end lodging options, nice towns and fun things to do in the mountains, but I think Jackson is a step above, especially being so close to the parks.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM

Oh yeah, Aman resorts has another property in southern Utah - amangiri. Never been, looks pretty remote, but might be an option worth looking into.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM

Jenny Lake Lodge in The Grand Tetons
The Awahnee in Yosemite
El Tovar at the Grand Canyon

It depends on what your idea of upscale is. No, these aren't Five Star places, but they are as nice as you get in a National Park. I love the Historic Lodges that are in many national parks.

Consider renting a super deluxe RV perhaps.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM

Getting a room IN National Parks for August 2012?? Good luck with that, upscale or not. Many book a year in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:45 PM

Snake River Lodge in Jackson Hole a Rock resort is an easy and upscale resport to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

http://snakeriverlodge.rockresorts.com/
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM

Yes, I was going to also mention the Aman properties. As fancy and expensive as it gets. The Amanjani in Jackson is on a bluff with incredible views of the Tetons. A bit of a drive to GTNP and very far to Yellowstone. The Amangiri is just east of Kanab, UT if I remember correctly.

Me, I prefer camping in a tent
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM

You might also like to take a look at Park City, UT. Lots of luxury lodging with hiking, riding, golf, mtn biking, etc. right out the door. St. Regis, The Montage are both at Deer Valley. Or, you could rent a luxury vacation home of your choice.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The closest upscale lodging outside Crater Lake NP would be the Running Y Ranch. http://www.runningy.com/lodging/the-lodge-at-running-y/
I have driven through the ranch but never decided to stay.
Closer to Bend we have the Resort at Sunriver beside the Deschutes River.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM

The two that came to my mind were Desert Pearl in Springdale for Zion... Beautiful property, high recommendations.
And the new Amangiri already mentioned just outside of Page which is in another category all together for upscale. http://www.amanresorts.com/amangiri/location.aspx