Upper West side-NYC dinner on a Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be at The Lucerne(W 79th and Amsterdam) our last night in NYC. We will have been in the city for a week and eating at downtown places. We would like to stay on the UWS for dinner that last night. We are considering Dovetail but appreciate any ideas.
We like small neighborhood places.

Our prior week will include places like:
The Little Owl
Perilla
Pearl Oyster Bar
Dell'Anima

to give you an idea of our tastes.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Dovetail is upscale. If you would like a moderate place with Greek food, consider Kefi on Columbus in the 80's. I ate there last night. It is not quiet, but the food is very good and so are the prices. http://www.kefirestaurant.com/

If you decide to go, I can recommend dishes.

btw I asked you on another thread if you'll be in NY on the 10th or 11th.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

CPK~we will. Saturday is our wedding anniversary and Sunday we are headed to Brooklyn. I will go look for the other thread.

Thanks for the heads on on Kefi. I had forgotten about that place and it looked great from all descriptions.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thank you so much for the link. Hopefully we can paddle around some of it. We will be in Brooklyn for the DUMBO flea market on Sunday am and then plan to walk across the bridge. Saturday is open with the exception of dinner @ Dell'Anima so it could be a Saturday event.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Kefi used to be on 79th St and it moved to larger quarters. Actually, the downstairs is nicest, but still noisy. We've eaten there a few times.

What about Nougatine, the casual front bar room of Jeans Georges on CPW off Columbus Circle? The food is wonderful and their prixe fixe special may still be in effect.

Happy Anniversary!! That weekend is OpenhouseNY. It's great!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM

I'm a volunteer for OpenhouseNY. Check out the program and locations. A few require reservations. Most don't.
Full program listings will be available on ohny.org at 10 pm on Thursday, October 1 (NY time). Sites and programs that require advance reservations will start at 9 am on Friday, October 2.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
mp

So the week you're here, you will have had two sort of New American, one seafood and one Italian dinner downtown, so Kefi is a good suggestion, or how about Turkish? - Pasha is pretty good, very "neighborhood" not fancy but reliable. Or Indian - there's a new place called Bagicha that is getting some nice buzz.

Or if you want to stay more in the Italian/French/American range, you might like West Branch, from the chef Tom Valenti. He's a terrific chef, his place Ouest is really good, more upscale than "neighborhood"

Dovetail is excellent, but expensive.
http://nymag.com/restaurants/?f=food
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM

i live in nyc, Dovetail was the best meal i had all year! based on some of your other suggestions, i don't think you will be disappointed. I was ready to repeat my meal by the time the check appeared.
If you like sushi, one of the best, and also expensive places is Gari on UWS. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM

we ate at Kefi a greek restaurant on Colombus - was one of the nicest mealswe had during our two week stay - great atmosphere, authentic food, wonderful service!