Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Universal and Warner Bros Tour - What do you get to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Scott

I have a question for anyone who has been on the Universal Studios tour and Warner Bros. tour. Specifically what did you get to see...

For Univeral, did you get to see the "Courhouse square" set from Back To The Future?

For Warner Bros., Did you get to see the exterior sets from Bewitched and Partridge Family?

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 02:54 PM
karla

I've done both Universal (many times) and Warner Brothers.

Universal is a theme park. The tour does take you by courthouse square, the Psycho House, Bates Motel and several houses that you have seen for years in TV and movies. The backlot tour is fairly interesting.

The only problem is that even though it is a working studio you don't really feel like it is. The rides and attractions will make up for this.

Warner Brothers is a fabulous tour. Do check to make sure that it is operating. They stopped after 9/11 and I'm not sure if they are back yet. It is a small personalized tour and you are driven around on golf carts. I don't recall anything from Bewitched or the Patridge Family. Wasn't the Partridge Family filmed at Paramount. You will see the Seaver House from Growing Pains the area where the last Seinfeld was filmed, the ER street set etc. And, if you happen to be there when rehearsals are going on they take you inside a set and you can watch rehersal. Again this part may not be available after 9/11. Our group of eight sat for awhile and watched Suddenly Susan rehersals. We also saw other TV stars wandering around the lot. Warner Brothers is a fantastic tour and I highly, highly recommend it.
For other working studio tours, you might want to take the Paramount. It is a walking tour and you will see the area where Desilu was, part of what they used for the Brady Bunch outdoor sets, the water tank where they film water scenes and the streets that were used for Laverne and Shirley. It's a nice tour, but Warners is much better.

Culver Studios also offers a tour, but I haven't done it.

Good luck and if you have any other LA questions, just e-mail me. It's an area that I love.

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Jimmy

Hi Karla,
Me and my wife are visiting LA for three days at Dec end and wanted to know how best to spend it.
We plan to spend a day in Disney, 1 day at Universal and Warner, and 1 day exploring Hollywood/Beverly Hills. We are not sure abt H'wood/Hills...as to what to see and how? Can you suggest how we could better our touring?
Also, the next day we drive to Vegas (31st). I know it could be a nightmare...what time do u suggest we leave LA? Thnx in advance.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 02:23 PM
karla

Hi Jimmy,
Sounds like a fun trip. Sounds like you have quite a plan. Your day with Universal and Warner is going to be tough, but doable. Check with Warner Brothers and make a reservation for the tour. And, then plan Universal around that. Universal will be very crowded with the Rose Parade crowds and tour groups. If you can, do it first thing in the morning. Go to backlot tour as soon as you get there to make sure you get on.

For Hollywood/Beverly Hills I would recommend that you park near Grauman's and walk to the Roosevelt Hotel, check out the walk of fame and the footprints at Grauman's. Buy a map of Hollywood and drive by the other sites. I know it sounds stupid, but the Stars Homes Tour is fun. But, beware you don't see much but yards, fences and bushes. There are some good maps of the area available in the gift shop at Grauman's that will take you around Beverly Hills with fairly accurate information. Plan lunch at Farmers Market. Lots of food and fun shops. Walk through downtown Beverly Hills and in particular Rodeo Drive. Hollywood Hills is pretty, but I would skip it.

You might want to check audiences unlimited website to see if any TV shows are taping at that time? They may be on Xmas break, but perhaps you can get tickets to go to a taping. Tapings are lots of fun, but the tickets you get don't guarantee you get in. You have to wait in a line. The more popular the show, the tougher to get in. Several shows suspended audiences this year thanks to 9/11, so you'll need to look into this.

The drive to Vegas takes 6 hours on a good day. I haven't driven it on New Years Eve, but you might want to leave first thing in the morning and rest up once you get there. If you are making good time, consider a stop in Palm Springs for lunch. It's gorgeous. If you've got lots of time, you could even take the Aerial Tramway up the mountain. I haven't done that, but I hear it's a 10.

Have a fabulous time. It should be so much fun.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:08 PM
SD

Thanks Karla for your most informative reply. To answer your question, they
filmed the Partridge Family (at least the exterior home scenes) at a
place called the "Warner Bros Ranch" lot. Is that a totally separate
area from the main lot? There are a lot of exterior filming locations
there. Besides the Partridge Family, they also have the exterior sets
of "I Dream of Jeannie", "Gidget", the house from "National Lampoons
Christmas Vacation", and from "Friends" the fountain from the opening
credits. Just wondering if there is a tour of that area.