Unforgivable greed at the Sheraton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Hugo

This is from a transcript of The Capital Gang on CNN 9/15:

MARK SHIELDS: "And now it's time for us for the 'Outrage of the Week.' This week we saw the face of heroism in New York City. At last count 265 New York firefighters were missing and presumed dead. These were the brave who chose to risk, and ultimately to lose their lives to save the lives of strangers they had never met. In an hour of maximum peril each firefighters was truly the captain of his own soul. Let it be noted that each was also a public employee. This week we also saw the ugly underside of the private sector. When all flights were canceled Tuesday the Sheraton at New York's JFK Airport immediately doubled its room rates. Profit and greed were sadly written in blood and tears."

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Bob

If this is indeed true, shame on Sheraton! I cancelled my room (same day, in fact) at a B&B in New Orleans this weekend and the owner could not have been more accommodating. He mentioned that he had stranded guests that were staying AS HIS GUESTS until the crisis was resolved.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Mikhal

This is true...I mean, I wasn't at the Sheraton, but I did see this reported verbatim on CNN. I don't think I'll be choosing any of the Starwood hotels (they also run the Westin, St Regis, and W Hotels) to stay in anytime soon!

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 02:22 PM
JJ

I sent Starwood an email and await a response. I certainly hope that it is not true. I can understand if Starwood didn't go out of its way to lower prices (i.e. as the hotel got more crowded, lower prices were unavailable) but if CNN is right, I would be concerned. In fact, I have an outstanding reservation at a Luxury Property label of Starwood.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 02:34 PM
No name

This is really upsetting. I've stayed at a few of their "W" hotels and really liked them, but now I don't know. This strikes me as even worse than the reports of gouging gas prices in some areas, it's more like the people who've been arrested for looting near the World Trade Center.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Philip

I hope someone can confirm this. CNN this week has reported several incorrect things, but if this is correct, I'll boycott Sheraton.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Joanne

We do have to be careful about fact-checking with this one.

Even in ordinary times, a last-minute booking at a hotel is likely to be charged a higher rate (the maximum, or "rack rate") when compared to a booking made well in advance.

So this story could have its roots in someone comparing a last-minute booking (or quote) on Tuesday with a reservation made well in advance. Sure, they would have found very different rates, with the last-minute rate being higher, but this would merely reflect the normal policy of the Sheraton and plenty of other places.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Sandy

Here's a link to the CNN transcript:

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0109/15/cg.00.html

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Joanne

Well, since the CNN transcript contains no more info than the post at the beginning of this thread, I think I'm going to stay skeptical on this one.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 04:43 PM
don

I think thhat it is outrageous that the Sheraton at JFK would do such a thing and I hope that ppppeople will long remember it if they need a room at JFK. But I don't think it is right to blame the whole chain for what one hotel does unless they condoned it. I think before jumping the gun, we should know who's decision it was to raise the prices.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 05:03 PM
RP

I heard this on The Capial Gang, as well. If this is true, it is indeed a despicable act.

However, there is something I have been wanting to express since Tuesday night which is along the same theme . . . I live in Ohio, and when I went through town on Tuesday night, what did I see? Individuals lining up to get gas. Since I doubt that there were that many people who were running low on gas, my suspicion is that the vast majority of these individuals thought not of their country first, when news of the tragic events broke, but rather of themselves.

THIS BEHAVIOR SICKENS ME JUST AS MUCH AS THE PRICE GOUGING!!!! THESE INDIVIDUALS OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED!!!!

There's a distinct possibility that we may have to make some significant sacrifices in the near future, and it really angers and frightens me that we have individuals (I'm not even referring to them as people) who are so incredibly selfish and self-centered. I'd bet that these individuals will be the first to complain about the tightened security at our airports, and that they'd be the last to do ANYTHING to help out someone in need. Perhaps they're the type who would trample over others to get out of a burning building first?

I hope, for the sake of our country, that these individuals develop some kind of a conscience -- FAST.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Chris

RP,
You were able to discern all of that just from people getting gas???

And before you say I was probably one of the ones in line, I was not. I haven't put gas in my car since before the attacks.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Joanne

I had heard about this gas-price thing, and it seems to have been exclusively a midwestern phenomenon. I certainly saw and heard about none of it here in New England.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 06:17 PM
ldsant

Starwood has been emailed about this and knowing how well their properties are usually run, I'd be surprised if this story is true (I think it's probably like another person said - different rates based upon occupancy for that evening). I know of many people who have had their rates LOWERED while staying at a Starwood property this week.

As far as the gas gouging, I agree with Joanne. This must have been something only in the midwest. Out here on the West Coast we didn't see this happen (of course, we're already paying $1.89 per gallon on a regular basis. . .)

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Joanne

$1.80 ??!! Yikes, we're paying about $1.39 here.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Cathy

My husband who was stranded in Houston with a few colleagues was being charged $1 a mile for rental cars- the rental companies did not want cars to leave Houston area. One colleague drove home to Atlanta and had a pretty hefty bill! Ironically when my husband arrived in Providence, RI very late Friday via USAir and secured a rental car (his car was at Logan) the car had Texas plates and had just been turned in by someone who had made the road trip! I haven't heard about this gas situation in the Boston area. Hotels in Houston (Omni and Marriott) were very fair with prices and went out of their way to make sure my husband had a room in the event his flight ended up being cancelled.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 09:52 PM
capitalist

Hey wake up! This is capitalism. It is profit maximisation. When demand goes up, price goes up regardless of the reason. But I say boycott Sheraton anyway!

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Suzie

I don't know if the gas thing was a mid west thing but I did have a friend call me late on Tuesday to tell me that I should get gas as she heard there was going to be shortages. I already had enough gas but I didn't buy the whole concept of gas shortage. I live in CA.

I got the impression she was calling everyone she knew to pass this on. BTW she always forwards the email hoaxes believing them to be true as well. Know your source.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 08:22 AM
jim

Just to let you know: I got stranded at the Westin La Paloma in Tucson for three extra days, and they REDUCED ny room rate for the extended stay -- from $200 to $167.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 08:26 AM
al

Noticed on the CNN thread 9/16 that Starwood Hotels had donated 1 Million to the disaster fund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -