UK couples California honeymoon itenery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after nearly 6 months of planning we have finally settled on our itinery for are honeymoon. Please have a quick look and see what you think.

Mon 22nd August Arrive in San Francisco, check into the Andrews Hotel. Sleep!

Tue 23rd Helicopter tour and general mooch about city.

Wed 24th Alcatraz tour and enjoy more of the city. (Possible night tour of Alacatraz)

Thu 25th Pick soft top hire car up and drive the long way via lake Tahoe to Yosemite.
I know this is a long drive (around 9 hours) but we’ve never been to the U.S. before and will enjoy the scenery plus we LOVE driving! Check into the Yosemite View lodge.

Fri 26th Enjoy Yosemite with a couple of light hikes

Sat 27th Morning Yosemite, then drive onto stovepipe wells, death valley (7 hours) We know that its going to be crazy hot and it wont be nice but seen as were coming all this way, Death valley is something we really want to see.
Check into the View lodge.

Sun 28th On to Las Vegas stopping of at one or two land marks, Not sure where were staying yet, probe Balleys but we’ll see what offers come up.

Mon 29th Las Vegas, Grand Canyon helicopters tour, possibly late afternoon flight so we can take the strip in at night on our return.

Tue 30th Las Vegas

Wed 31st On to San Diego (4 hours). No hotel booked, can anyone recommend anywhere for around $100 per night?

Thu 1st San Diego. Breakfast and all day at Seaworld

Fri 2nd up early and day at San Diego Zoo, Short drive up to Laguna beach (2 hours)
Check into the Laguna Riviera. Chill

Sat 3rd Laguna Riviera, Chill.

Sun 4th Laguna Riviera, Chill.

Mon 5th Early start, on to the Pepper Tree Inn, Santa Barbara (unless anyone can recommend better?) Stopping in L.A. Universal studios (4 hours travelling)
Will Universal and the Traffic be any worse with it being Labour Day?

Tue 6th Pepper Tree Inn, Santa Barbara, enjoy town and generally chill.

Wed 7th Open to suggestions here, anywhere on highway one! Thinking Monterey?

Thu 8th As above
Fri 9th as above then late drive to airport hotel for early flight home/

So what do you think? We know it’s a lot to fit in but this is a once in a lifetime trip so we want to get everything in. We have a week in Hong Kong straight after this to relax in.
Our main concern is are we spending enough time in San Diego? Should we drop a day in Monterey?
Thanks for any advice, Allan & Louise

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:11 PM

Sounds like a terrific trip.

For Yosemite, I would check back as you get closer to your trip to see about accomodations in the Valley - since people make reservations so far in advance, there are a lot of cancellations.

SF - be prepared for chilly temperatures and fog (and then for it to be hot hot hot for your drive across the central valley).

For your trip up the coast, I would probably stay in Monterey. The area between Cambria and Monterey is pretty remote, so if you want to be in town, choose the Monterey area (Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove - they are all next to each other). If you want to be in the woods though, somewhere in Big Sur would be good.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks J. I thought the view lodge was in the valley?
Cant wait for the trip, its whats getting me throuth the wedding! Shhhh dont tell the girlfriend!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM

Hi! Congratulations on getting married. I have a few suggestions/comments for you.

If possible in San Francisco, visit the Ferry building. There's an excellent Mexican food place there (sorry I don't recall the name)... Amazing food. Also there's an organic bakery with chocolate cake to die for.

Another good place in SF is the Tadich Grill. It's in the financial district (a few blocks up from the Ferry building). Friendly service and lovely crab cakes

You are right it WILL be ridiculously hot in August in Death Valley (and Las Vegas for that matter). Please make sure you have lots of water with you (for you AND the car) and also don't forget your sunscreen.

I'm not sure where you are getting your drive time estimates, but Las Vegas to San Diego is more like 6 hours, not 4. You'll be in the middle of the week, so that will help with traffic (tons of traffic to Las Vegas from the LA area on weekends), so you might do it between 5 and 6 hours.

If you want more time in San Diego, stay a day longer & lose one of your "chill" days in Laguna. There trully is a lot to do in SD, it's one of my favorite places Check out all the museums or look into what's playing at the Old Globe Theatre.

Monterey, Cambria, San Simeon... Lots of great places to visit on Highway 1.

Regarding Universal & traffic on Labor day, yes, I'd expect it to be busier since it's a holiday.

Hope that helps

-Sandra
220 days til
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM

Just a comment about your Friday the 2nd... If I understand correctly, you're driving from San Diego to Laguna after the morning at the Zoo - and it will be the Friday before a long holiday weekend. This will make this a tougher than usual drive on the 5. The traffic starts to back up pretty early on Friday - I usually plan on being on the road driving back up by 1pm.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM

Congratulations on your nuptials.

Re Yosemite. The Yosemite View Lodge is not in Yosemite. It is reasonably nice motel located just outside the park in El Portal.

The place you are probably looking for is Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, which is located in the park. Here is a web site where you can check out all of the accomodations in the park. http://www.yosemitepark.com/lodges2c...D=22&PageID=36
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:35 PM

Also, you really should consider spending at least one night in Lake Tahoe
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Wow! thanks, a lot to take in. Sandra E i've made a note of the places you surgested in Sna Fran, thanks.
Dreaming, I got my trip times from Rand mcNalley but thanks for the heads up. I'll belive a local over a tour guide anyday!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You trip sounds like alot to take in, but it sounds like fun.

About Death Valley and Las Vegas for that matter, you can figure the temps to be in the 110+ area, so it will not be alot of fun to be out during the day. You just might skip this part of the trip and take a flight home that will let you see it from above, much more comfortable that way.

Also you didn't mention the Mariposa Gove, of OLD redwoods in Yosemite, it is worth some extra time to see them, and there is a tour from Yosemite to the grove.

I'd also try and stay IN the part instead of outside, and I'd agree continue to check for cancellations and if something opens grab it fast.

The (and I'm sure I won't spell it right) Ahwanee Hotel even does high tea in the afternoon, make you feel right at home.

You might think about an evening at the theatre in SF, there are several nice theatres just off Union Square, with some interesting shows.

Ghiradelli Chocolate also is a big attraction and the ice cream is go GOOD there, also a nice view of the bay.

If you have time you might want to go over to Sausalito and up to Muir Woods which is over the Golden Gate Bridge.

For more choices on hotels, and the places you want to stay, you might try www.hotels.com, each listing gives you the amenities, location, rates per night and discount shopping coupons, and restaurant coupons.

Have a great time and enjoy the trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:37 PM
minnie17

Hi Allmoo:
Sounds like a fun trip.
I will only address the Santa Barbara portion of your journey.
The Pepper Tree is certainly an acceptable Motel. It is clean, rooms are fairly spacious, there is a swiming pool and a restaurant on site, staff is friendly and helpful. That said, I think there are many other Hotels in town you may find more enjoyable, and in better locations, touristy-wise....closer to downtown area, closer to the beach, closer to museums. The Pepper Tree is in a nice area of town, but rather residential, although there is a nice mall across the street.
If you would like other suggestions, I will be happy to provide.
minnie.

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM

Allmoo - a well though out itinerary. Some of the days are longer drives than I would choose (I'm always telling people they can't squeeze York and Edinburgh into a day's drive from London either)

You have received lots of good info so I'll just add a couple of comments . . . .

- Be prepared for cool to downright cold weather in SF. The hotter it is in the central Valley (and August is normally the very hottest month) the foggier and colder it is in SF.

- Definitely try for Yosemite Lodge - the difference between Yosemite Lodge and Yosemite View Lodge is night and day. But being in August you may not be able to book a room since it books up very early. get on that ASAP and then keep checking for cancellations right up until your trip.

- the traffic anywhere along the coast or near tourist attractions on the friday through monday of Labor Day Weekend will be heavy - think of the August Bank Holiday at home.

- And finally -- I know you really, REALLY want to see Death Valley. I strongly urge you to reconsider. Spend that extra day at Tahoe, or in Yosemite or maybe in Vegas. DV is an amazing place but 120F is not at all unusual in August. It can be downright dangerous to hike/explore. It ain't called death Valley for nothing. If you honeymoon was in April you would have a brilliant time there - but inAugust it will just be a Saharan trek . . . . . . .
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM

For Santa Barbara, have you considered the Harbor View Inn? www.harborviewsb.com We enjoyed an anniversary stay there in Decemer and were very pleased with the location, room, property, etc. ***kim***
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Another vote for a night in Tahoe. I have never seen blue like it. You could leave SF in the morning, divert to one of the old gold towns such as Nevada City and still be at Tahoe for late afternoon.

There are many different routes from Tahoe to Yosemite. We drove over The Tiaoga Pass after visiting the ghost town of Bodie (very hot in August but maybe this will suffice instead of Death Valley?) and Mono Lake.

Would definately drive up highway 1 and finish in Monterey or Carmel which is slightly posher (make that much posher!). Loads of great restaurants and B&B's and too many antique shops! You must visit the aquarium in Monterey and drive 17 mile drive past Pebble Beach Golf Course.

Have a truly wonderful time and congrats and good luck!

Adam C
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I too would recommend skipping Death Valley in August. It can be dangerous with the heat but if you have to go take lots and lots of water as already stated.

I would also suggest that you stay an extra day in San Diego. If you are spending one day in San Diego at Sea World and the next day at the Zoo, you really have no time to see the rest of the city and there is so much to see. That still gives you a day to a day and a half to chill in Laguna.

Your Monday the 5th sounds a little ambitious. If you want to leave Laguna Beach, drive to Universal Studios, spend time there and then drive on to Santa Barbara, that will make for a long day. Because it's a holiday, the traffic from Laguna to Universal may not be as bad as it sometimes it but it will take you a couple of hours to get there. I would plan on Universal being mobbed on Labor Day since it is the last official day of summer. You will however be driving against the LA traffic when you head to Santa Barbara as most people will be returning home to LA from their long weekend. I think if you get a very early start and don't plan on getting into Santa Barbara until late then it's doable.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM

One thing I forgot to add - don't know about getting a hotel in San Diego in August for $100 unless you use Priceline and even then it will probably be more. Where ever you plan to stay in San Diego, I would make a reservation fairly soon as August is one of the busiest months.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:28 AM

while in San Diego check into the Inns of America in Carlsbad ( its only a short
distance north of SD) its a very nice area/ a couple of blocks to a nice beach- you can walk) there is train service to downtown SD if you dont want to drive-phone 1 800 826 0778
and I think it is in your price range.
close to freeway access if you do want to drive- the beach towns between Carlsbad and SD are charming- LaJolla,Delmar etc and just a short drive from Carlsbad. My daughter lives across the street from that hotel and I cant wait to visit again.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Allmoo -

About the San Diego hotels in your price range... You might take a look at some of the hotels near Sea World - there are a few in your price range there. Unfortunately I can't give any recommendations, as I've only stayed at Paradise Point in that area and it's more money than you're looking to spend. Maybe someone might be able to comment on the Days Inn, Comfort Inn or Ramada that are close to Sea World?

Sunbum suggest the Inns of America in Carlsbad... it might be a bit of a drive for you down to San Diego/Sea World, etc (30 - 40 minutes) - but it is really close to the beach, outlet shopping and Legoland! If you do choose the Inns of America, I think that there are two of them - Sunbum is this right? An Inns of America (less expensive) and an Inns of America Suites (more expensive and right by the freeway).

I'm going to second the comment that you want to book as soon as possible... especially for the holiday weekend, these hotels are going to get busy.

Also, for your stay in Laguna, there is a thread going right now about restaurants in OC - several of those mentioned are in or near Laguna.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:01 AM

A couple of other San Diego hotels to try. Holiday Inn Express in Old Town - gets mixed reviews but is in convenient location and has rooms around $90. Another one is Comfort Inn in Mission Valley - this area is Hotel Circle running along Interstate 8. Again nothing to look at but good location. Check tripadvisor for reviews.

I think there are also a couple of motor inn type places close to Sea World.

Concerning the recommendation for Inns of America in Carlsbad. Carlsbad is a nice beach town but if you are going to be driving north and south on Insterstate 5 to San Diego, I should warn you the traffic is very bad. If you want to get to Seaworld in the am, you will be sitting in a lot of traffic going south and the same thing heading north in the evening. Even though I love Carlsbad, I think you would be better off staying closer to San Diego.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Regarding Inns of America in Carlsbad-
I dont know if there are 2 - the one I am thinking of is on Poinsettia - right off the freeway and 3 blocks to the beach.
Traffic can be bad but I havent found it terrible as long as I have avoided the peak travel times.
I think it would give people from another country the feeling of a true California beach town -
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:39 PM

sunburn - I agree about giving visitors another perspective staying in Carlsbad. However, Allmoo said that they were spending all day at Seaworld on the 1st, then up early on the 2nd to see the Zoo in the morning and then drive to Laguna in the afternoon. With their schedule, it sounds like it would be hard to miss the morning rush hour especially on the 2nd. Several of us have suggested they stay in San Diego an extra day. If they do that, then they wouldn't be trying to squeeze in as much and peak hour traffic wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -